Thread: WiFi Redirects Question

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score

WiFi Redirects Question

Does Project fi have a way to get around all of the WiFi Redirect pages when entering different hotspot locations? It would be nice to have the phone accept the agreement automatically if you had done it manually once in the past. Otherwise WiFi coverage will be somewhat limited.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's a good question, isn't it? Maybe not on Howard Forums but on Google+, I've seen Fi users talk about the money they are saving because they use less data. Their point seems to be that if data are on Paygo, they can find free wifi. It's important for voice calls when the cell signal is weak.

The problem seems to be getting the wifi to work. When I go to Panera Bread, I have to tap a "Yes" button of some kind, then a different one. Somewhere in the text it says I'll only have to do that once, then my device will be recognized at all locations and login will be automatic. The opposite occurs. I go back to the same location and must tap the Yes buttons every time. Has anybody ever reached the stage of being recognized automatically at Panera?

I have a friend who uses her iPhone constantly for non-voice activities, but seldom logs on to wifi. In 2015, I promised her that the login process would be improved in 2016, and I think I was right. It did improve, but it still needs work.

At many Starbucks location, the wifi supplier is Google. You'd think they would achieve a more automatic login, but it's not fully automatic. A notification comes up and you must tap on it, then wait a couple seconds.

For general good luck, I installed an app called WIFI Quick Login. I have yet to find a location where it helps. It doesn't hurt anything, it just can't help at a place like Starbucks that has its own fancy programming.

I have been on Fi since October and am happy with it. My data usage is as low as 200 MB per month ($2 worth) because, yes, I log on to wifi when it's available. It will be higher in the summer when I'm at the outdoor pool watching WeatherBug for thunderstorm news.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Retail WiFi is horrible as it's almost always misconfigured or just broken. The other problem is the phone latching onto "known" WiFi networks (Starbucks, McDonald's, Optimum) while driving. Google's "always on VPN" is rarely smart enough to detect a new open WiFi connection. When VPN does connect, there's no way to disable it without forgetting the network.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi

Device(s)
    Samsung R455C, Alcatel A205G, BLU Advance 4.5,Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon & AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T), Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Retail WiFi is horrible as it's almost always misconfigured or just broken. The other problem is the phone latching onto "known" WiFi networks (Starbucks, McDonald's, Optimum) while driving. Google's "always on VPN" is rarely smart enough to detect a new open WiFi connection. When VPN does connect, there's no way to disable it without forgetting the network.
    I turn off wifi while driving, until a location is reached where I want to use Wi-Fi, for example, a lunch or fuel stop or hotel. Also turn off cellular data unless I want to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezLouise View Post
    I turn off wifi while driving, until a location is reached where I want to use Wi-Fi, for example, a lunch or fuel stop or hotel. Also turn off cellular data unless I want to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Good suggestion. I am wondering if this can be automated with IFTTT. Nos shre if there is a way to say if the phones GPS indicates speed over 20 MPH, trun off Wifi. If <20 MHP for greater than 5 minutes, turn wifi back on....

Feedback Score
    I jumped on the att mobley $40 plan to let the kids stream while on the road. So the driving part is not an issue.

My problem is that it would be cool for a way to auto accept open wifi redirects.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app