Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast

Thread: $20 Unlimited ZTE Mobley LTE Hotspot Setup and Troubleshooting thread

Device(s)
    iphone6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Be patient...it took my second unit a few days set to 2 hours time out before it finally got the latest 1.0.1
    If I can not have anything attached for it to upgrade, that means it is useless as I wait and keep trying to keep it active.
    Seems like there should be a way to force a software download/upgrade.

Feedback Score
    When I had it in my car parked in an open parking lot at my workplace for the whole day, I saw that it had upgraded after that.

Device(s)
    iphone6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindolam View Post
    When I had it in my car parked in an open parking lot at my workplace for the whole day, I saw that it had upgraded after that.
    OK, does that mean it just happened to be lucky enough to get the upgrade before it timed out on the 2 hour limit or is it able to up grade after it goes to sleep? I have been trying too keep mine awake, maybe it actually better to let it sleep????

Device(s)
    Nexus1, formerly a G1
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrajax View Post
    OK, does that mean it just happened to be lucky enough to get the upgrade before it timed out on the 2 hour limit or is it able to up grade after it goes to sleep? I have been trying too keep mine awake, maybe it actually better to let it sleep????
    The only 'trick' I know of is to set it to 2 hours time out, and use it. A watched pot never boils.

Device(s)
    iphone6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well I spent some time on the phone to Car Connect yesterday trying to get my second mobley on unlimited. Looked this morning and it still was on 1GB . Called back in and think we have it now. Also, I think I am beginning to understand why it takes a manager to OK the unlimited. Apparently the Mobley has a cell number just like a phone or tablet And it would be easy for an agent to give the same $20 plan to a phone or tablet, and the system could not tell the difference. that is why all the security and verifications.
    Just lucky for some of us we can park our car in the Garage and still use the WiFi,,,,
    So Who thinks this is going to last???

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrajax View Post
    Well I spent some time on the phone to Car Connect yesterday trying to get my second mobley on unlimited. Looked this morning and it still was on 1GB . Called back in and think we have it now. Also, I think I am beginning to understand why it takes a manager to OK the unlimited. Apparently the Mobley has a cell number just like a phone or tablet And it would be easy for an agent to give the same $20 plan to a phone or tablet, and the system could not tell the difference. that is why all the security and verifications.
    Just lucky for some of us we can park our car in the Garage and still use the WiFi,,,,
    So Who thinks this is going to last???
    Ordering online was simple recently. I just hit the Mobley page. It came up as unlimited car and I placed the order. Super simple now.

Feedback Score
    I'm having issues with building my USB adapter. It looks like pin 4 (ground) and pin 16 (hot) are all we need to get the adapter to work. My question is how do I confirm which 2 of the 16 cables coming out the other end of my ODB cable are the right ones? I assumed it would be red/black but that wasn't the case. Also the light blue color from the pics digiblur posted isn't working for me. I'm thinking I can strip down all the ends to the 16 cables and using the multi-tester test for continuity from wire to plug? I'm really a novice at anything electrical but have soldered mod chips and leds to consoles in the past.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    I'm having issues with building my USB adapter. It looks like pin 4 (ground) and pin 16 (hot) are all we need to get the adapter to work. My question is how do I confirm which 2 of the 16 cables coming out the other end of my ODB cable are the right ones? I assumed it would be red/black but that wasn't the case. Also the light blue color from the pics digiblur posted isn't working for me. I'm thinking I can strip down all the ends to the 16 cables and using the multi-tester test for continuity from wire to plug? I'm really a novice at anything electrical but have soldered mod chips and leds to consoles in the past.
    1) use a tester, 2) find someone else that got the same cable and if they posted which was which, 3) ask the cable maker/seller

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    1) use a tester, 2) find someone else that got the same cable and if they posted which was which, 3) ask the cable maker/seller
    3) was the answer. Diagram right on the eBay page. What an idiot I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    Ordering online was simple recently. I just hit the Mobley page. It came up as unlimited car and I placed the order. Super simple now.
    Sadly, been out of stock at the att.com website since at least yesterday. Hopefully, that's not a sign that AT&T has thoughts about limiting the Mobley because of what they perceive to be abuse.

Has it gone out of stock before in the past? Hopefully, it'll come back...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyegg11 View Post
    Sadly, been out of stock at the att.com website since at least yesterday. Hopefully, that's not a sign that AT&T has thoughts about limiting the Mobley because of what they perceive to be abuse.

Has it gone out of stock before in the past? Hopefully, it'll come back...
    I tried getting one at the AT&T store by my work last month and they didn't have any. Same store still doesn't have any. If they were trying to limit it I imagine they would have Best Buy and anyone else selling them simply stop. It may be like the NES classic fiasco where they didn't predict the need. How the heck does Best Buy seem to still have them...

- Moto X Pure (Sprint 1 year free service!)
    - AT&T ZTE Mobley $15 unlimited (backup for Sprint's network and home wifi)

Ultimate Sprint hater returns for free service. Who woulda thought?
    Cricket....see you again in 12 months!
    Super Cookie tastes good Verizon users? Was it chocolate chip or sugar?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican-bum View Post
    USB won't be enough voltage, the mobley needs 12 volts, USB is only 5V

Most of the USB obd 2 cables only have the data pin connected, while the power pins are left blank.
    Got my cable rough draft done and the device works. Whether connected by USB on laptop or directly into USB to wall plug the meter is reading 12 volts. My concern is the Mobley started to make an audible sound like it was hissing which doesn't sound good. I unplugged it as soon as I heard this. I don't want to fry the device. These are the parts I'm using. Any ideas? Does anyone's Mobley talk back to them when plugged into the wall?

- Generic-USB-DC-5V-to-DC-12V-Step-up-Module-Converter-2-1x5-5mm-Male-Connector
    - 1FT-18AWG-DC-Power-Cable-Female-Plug-Connector-Pigtail-CCTV-Alarm-5-5-2-1mm-LED
    - OBD2 OBD-II Opening Cable 16 Pin Female Extension Connector Diagnostic 11" USA

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Got my cable rough draft done and the device works. Whether connected by USB on laptop or directly into USB to wall plug the meter is reading 12 volts. My concern is the Mobley started to make an audible sound like it was hissing which doesn't sound good. I unplugged it as soon as I heard this. I don't want to fry the device. These are the parts I'm using. Any ideas? Does anyone's Mobley talk back to them when plugged into the wall?

- Generic-USB-DC-5V-to-DC-12V-Step-up-Module-Converter-2-1x5-5mm-Male-Connector
    - 1FT-18AWG-DC-Power-Cable-Female-Plug-Connector-Pigtail-CCTV-Alarm-5-5-2-1mm-LED
    - OBD2 OBD-II Opening Cable 16 Pin Female Extension Connector Diagnostic 11" USA
    it hisses in the laptop? i dont know that i would plug something homemade into a computer. what ac/power plug are you using for the wall plug? IIRc, some did mention their mobley making noise but dont remember specifics

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    it hisses in the laptop? i dont know that i would plug something homemade into a computer. what ac/power plug are you using for the wall plug? IIRc, some did mention their mobley making noise but dont remember specifics
    Connected directly by USB into the laptop or connected to the power plug when the second LED lights up the noise/hiss starts. The ac/power plug is a LG Quick Charge. I thought a phone's technology would dictate whether it can turbo/quick charge and anything else would charge normal. With the default location being under the dash I don't know if I would of heard the sound while driving.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Connected directly by USB into the laptop or connected to the power plug when the second LED lights up the noise/hiss starts. The ac/power plug is a LG Quick Charge. I thought a phone's technology would dictate whether it can turbo/quick charge and anything else would charge normal. With the default location being under the dash I don't know if I would of heard the sound while driving.
    you need 5v output from usb. some wall chargers are not 5v... did you search both large mobley threads on hofo to see if others reported the mobley making noise?

Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 LastLast