Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: $20 Unlimited ZTE Mobley LTE Hotspot Setup and Troubleshooting thread

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

$20 Unlimited ZTE Mobley LTE Hotspot Setup and Troubleshooting thread

The main hacking ZTE Mobley thread is very very long and much of the original info in it is no longer valid as luckily its became way easier, so I decided to start a new thread with most info consolidated.

FAQ

ZTE Mobley Original Users Guide
    https://d28dq596ebml6z.cloudfront.ne..._-_10.6MB_.pdf

What is a ZTE Mobley? It’s an AT&T OBD2 vehicle LTE hotspot, AT&T lists it as a Connected Car device

Why is the ZTE Mobley so Special? Since its a Connected Car device it is eligible for Unlimited Data through AT&T Unlimited plan or Stand-Alone Unlimited plan, both are $40, which makes it a low cost Unlimited Data hotspot. But what really makes it unique is it can be also used outside of the vehicle and in your home which is great for people that don’t have access to good broadband internet or just needs an unlimited hotspot.

Where do I purchase a ZTE Mobley? ATT store, online, ebay, amazon, best buy etc

How do I use a ZTE Mobley outside of a vehicle? You will need to purchase a third party AC power supply/adapter from either ebay or amazon
    Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8CEDBU...et_detail_page
    Ebay
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobile-AC-Ad...gAAOSwCU1Yp83U
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Att-ZTE-Mobl...4AAOSwKOJYI~Us

Why is my Mobley turning off after 30 minutes/2 hours? The Mobley is designed to power off in your vehicle to prevent it from running your battery dead, this is called the “Power Save” feature; you will need to turn this feature off in the ZTE Mobley settings.

Turning off “Power Save” feature
    While connected to the Mobley in a web browser enter its default IP address 192.168.1.1, it will bring up the device home page and ask for a password, enter “attadmin” then press login
    Then go to Settings/Advanced/Power Save from the drop down list chose “No Time out” option, then press Apply

Name:  mobley2.PNG
Views: 18071
Size:  32.5 KB

My ZTE Mobley doesn’t show the “No time out” option under Power Save? The Mobley needs the latest firmware in order to have the “No time out” option, the latest firmware is VM6200V1.0.1

Set the Mobley to 2hr setting until it downloads the newer firmware.

How do I tell which firmware version I am on? It’s located on the “About” page

How long does it take before it updates to the newer firmware version? Not really sure, could be within an hour to a couple of days. The mobley must be powered on to download the firmware so once it powers off simply unplug and replug(power cycle) to start the 2 hour timer again. After you have power cycled it a couple times check to see if it downloaded the firmware update, if it did you can now change to “no time out” option

How do I get the ZTE Mobley to allow more than 5 WIFI devices to connect or how do I increase ZTE Mobley's WIFI range? The ZTE Mobley has a 5 wifi device limit,there is many ways to get around this but my preferred method for simplicity is a DDWRT flashed router. If you don’t know how to flash DDWRT firmware to a router you can Google it or purchase one already flashed. Once you have a DDWRT router I actually wrote some really crude instructions on how to use it for my dad and posted a while back. It’s available here.
    DDWRT Mobley instructions.pdf

How much data can I use on the ZTE Mobley? If you have one of the Unlimited Plans its 22 GB then deprioritzed, so far AT&T is very lenient on deprioritization and rarely slows speeds(I personally as of 2/18/17 have never seen it.

Why does the ZTE Mobley have slower data speeds than my phone? The ZTE Mobley is an LTE device but it doesn’t support Carrier Aggregation.

What are typical speeds of the Mobley? This of course varies greatly due to many factors including time of day, tower congestion, etc but you should expect at the very least 10 Mbps but more than likely will receive between 20-40 Mbps.(up to 150 Mbps theoretical)

How do I increase my Mobley speeds? The best way to increase speeds is to get better signal, you can view the current signal strength on the "about page" Lower the dBM the better, (-100 is better signal than -108)

I found simply flipping the Mobley upside down or on its side can sometimes increase signal, it seems very sensitive to orientation, also placing in a window facing the tower can help a lot.

Also a big thanks to everyone that help contribute a lot of this info especially:[/B]
    Brad2388 helped me with original timer design and validated what I was seeing
    Brobot started the hacking thread
    Guest03 found out about stand-alone plan
    and many others I am forgetting

Previous ZTE Mobley threads
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ed-Plans/page6
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Hotspot-for-40
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...outside-a-car)

Plans
    According to Guest03 the stand-alone plans go on a new separate account and you can have a maximum of 3 at $40 each.
    If you have the Unlimited plan then each is a $40 add-on

Connected Car Plan Overview.pdf
    https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1084827

Connected Car Dept # 1 (866) 595-1222
    Last edited by mexican-bum; 02-19-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    AT&T Unlimited Plus with Netgear DC112A
    $20 Mobley stand-alone hotspot for home internet

Unlimited ZTE Mobely Hotspot

Feedback Score
    Great work Mexican-bum!!!

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mloboy View Post
    Great work Mexican-bum!!!
    Thanks, if anyone can think of anything I missed or could have done better let me know and I will add.

Feedback Score
    Is there a link to order the Stand-Alone Unlimited plan from AT&T? Or how does one go about doing that?

And many, many thanks for consolidating that long thread. Although, lots of shoutouts go to the people that contributed in that thread.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    Is there a link to order the Stand-Alone Unlimited plan from AT&T? Or how does one go about doing that?

And many, many thanks for consolidating that long thread. Although, lots of shoutouts go to the people that contributed in that thread.
    Last I checked it wasn't available online, but is listed. Will have to add over phone or at a storeName:  Capture.PNG
Views: 17194
Size:  48.7 KB

Feedback Score
    We need to source cheaper power adapters... I'm willing to take a chance on Mobley, but the device cost + $35-$48 just for a cheap(in materials) adapter + the uncertainty of what happens after 07/17/17 = not too keen on blindly investing that much into something that may or may not be useful in a handful of months. Also I've read the Mobley doesn't do carrier aggregations, so speeds will be limited. For me this is an unknown also, since I'd basically be finding out after purchasing all this and getting the plan etc.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

$40 Unlimited ZTE Mobley LTE Hotspot Setup and Troubleshooting thread

Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    We need to source cheaper power adapters... I'm willing to take a chance on Mobley, but the device cost + $35-$48 just for a cheap(in materials) adapter + the uncertainty of what happens after 07/17/17 = not too keen on blindly investing that much into something that may or may not be useful in a handful of months. Also I've read the Mobley doesn't do carrier aggregations, so speeds will be limited. For me this is an unknown also, since I'd basically be finding out after purchasing all this and getting the plan etc.
    Of course you can just make your own, just need a female obd2 plug, 12 volt power supply and soldering iron.

Just make sure you wire up correctly or you will fry it.... I know from experience...:-(

And of course like everything in this world it could all change tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    ...+ the uncertainty of what happens after 07/17/17 = not too keen on blindly investing that much into something that may or may not be useful in a handful of months...
    What is significant about 7/7/17?

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by saxon48 View Post
    What is significant about 7/7/17?
    The stand alone $40 unlimited plan promotion says it will end 7/7/17, after that you will be grandfathered in, assuming at&t doesn't extend the offer

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I hope that since this is getting so much publicity now, and these threads are popping up all over that att doesn't realize that people are clearly misusing it (outside of a "connected car"). I feel that if they realize this then they may very well cancel or make people move off the unlimited. That would be a sad day.
    ATT 500GB WHPI /AT&T Unlimited Plus Multi Line:2015-Present
    Verizon: 2008-2016 (UDP)
    Sprint: 2008-2014
    Alltel:2005-2008
    Cingular:2006

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to a corp. store tomorrow and add it. I totally forgot I had 7 lines. For some reason I thought I only had 6 lol. So might as well get a mobley since it will be free.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Cedius View Post
    I hope that since this is getting so much publicity now, and these threads are popping up all over that att doesn't realize that people are clearly misusing it (outside of a "connected car"). I feel that if they realize this then they may very well cancel or make people move off the unlimited. That would be a sad day.
    Ya you never know, personally I think as long as a bunch of people don't start popping the sims into other hotspots we will be just fine, many RV's can legitimately use the mobley as AT&T intends and use tons of data(they live in the vehicle)

Also when turning on the "No Time out" feature it says the device shouldn't be used in the vehicle. Just doing what it said

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedius View Post
    I would bet if anything they will just stop offering it on unlimited if anything. And those of us that have it hopefully be ok.

Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    I would bet if anything they will just stop offering it on unlimited if anything. And those of us that have it hopefully be ok.
    Ya at&t still has a lot unlimited iPad data users out in the wild for $29.99, att is usually good about grandfathering

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican-bum View Post
    Of course you can just make your own, just need a female obd2 plug, 12 volt power supply and soldering iron.
    It probably would not be that difficult.. if I knew how to solder and had a soldering iron. I've seen some female OBD plugs that were pre-wired on one end, with bare wires on the other. It looked like it had a dozen wires coming out of it though. I'm guessing not all 16 pins would need to have any wires attached, since it would just be for power. I found a few schematics, for example

https://i.imgur.com/j2sMG98.gif
    and
    https://i.imgur.com/5RWsIgq.jpg

but all greek to me :P

Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast