Thread: New Obihai offer: Replace your Obi 100 with an Obi 200!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score

New Obihai offer: Replace your Obi 100 with an Obi 200!

Hard to choose where best to post this (here or the Google Voice forum) but due to Landline Replacement this seemed more appropriate.

I've been a user of an Obi 100 for several years, coupling it with service through Google Voice. Only a few surprises along the way, the greatest being how my service was interrupted about a year ago (if memory serves) when I had to discover on my own that the device needed a firmware update to accommodate some change at Google. Can barely remember the details but it seems that if I had been on some paid deal with Obihai (which I knew nothing about) I would have been notified of the need for the update, but once I Googled around a bit I found that people were getting the update file on their own and doing the update. Problem solved, service restored.

Well a couple of days ago a message arrived to my Gmail account from Obihai (first ever!) with a big slick promo with the heading (copy and paste here):

"Give Your OBi100 / OBi110 a Refresh

As you may be aware, Obihai will no longer develop and release software updates for OBi100 and OBi110 devices. 2017 is also the last year you can purchase Premium Support for the OBi100 and OBi110.

Give your OBi100 or OBi110 a refresh by getting the OBi200."

It goes on essentially to tell you that because of this end of "Premium Support" you should consider replacing your 100 series units with 200 series units, and they provide an offer through Amazon for an Obi 200 for $10.01 off the regular price, for a pre-tax total of $39.98.

So what do you think of that? I'm totally sold on my service using this method. I'm just wondering what the future of the Model 100 would be if I did nothing. I can't imagine what further issues would require another firmware update. I also wonder what "extra charges" might be up Obihai's sleeve with a new Model 200, like a mandatory Premium Support deal.

Does anyone have any informed opinion on what Obihai users have experienced with this Premium Support thing or lack thereof? I'm a DIY'er and my perception of how they rolled that out after the infamous Google changeover (2015? - when Google and Obihai were supposed to have parted ways, then never did, etc.) was that it was something for serious novices to the product; pure gravy for Obihai. As long as you could get your hands on any needed firmware you were good, and that proved to be the case.

Wish I could post the entire message containing the promo, but it's a large graphic. Inviting comments and opinions. I'm kind of inclined to go for the offer (discount only good for the one purchased from Amazon only by using the provided email link). It says the offer goes to "Saturday Feb. 28th", but the 28th is next Wednesday!

Here are a couple of pertinent links I just found:

http://blog.obihai.com/2016/08/end-o...bi100-and.html

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r307...ai-for-support

In surfing for best prices I'm not finding much better than this direct offer (and I'm sure shipping is additional). Best price I saw was from last summer from CNET magazine for $35 including shipping.
    Last edited by whacker; 02-21-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Device(s)
    Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post

In surfing for best prices I'm not finding much better than this direct offer (and I'm sure shipping is additional). Best price I saw was from last summer from CNET magazine for $35 including shipping.
    Newegg had it for $34.99 two days ago. It is semi-regularly on sale for $35 at Newegg. This is not a good deal in my view. But then I look at it from a SlickDeals perspective. Five dollars probably isn't a big deal for most people.
    https://slickdeals.net/f/9781763-obi...src=SiteSearch

There is absolutely no need to go with the 200 series if the 100 series is still working for you. Using terms like EOL (End Of Life) and saying no new firmware are simply scare tactics. Even if Google changed something with Google Voice that required a firmware update you could still pay a one-time $6 fee and connect to the Simonics Google Voice gateway. In addition to not having to worry about firmware updates you get CNAM (Caller ID name) for your incoming Google Voice calls.

You aren't missing much by not having Obihai tech support. One of their standard lines when they get contacted for help is to go post your question in the Obitalk forums. I love Obihai ATAs but as a company Obihai leaves a lot to be desired.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Taoman54. Your input on these things has always been practical and helpful. I suppose then I'll just stick with the 100 model for now. Of course, if the level of discount on a 200 in the future should become too enticing, it might be hard to pass up!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Looks like the decision to switch models was made by a higher power. Had power problems at the house (several quick off/on blips during a storm) a couple of weeks ago, and my original Obi 100 appeared to have died (power LED showing steady red). Tried power reset and underside reset button routines, but no recovery, so I ended up replacing it with a 200 model which I needed pronto, and didn't find a sale on anywhere at the time. It was only a week earlier when I'd had the latest $40 offer direct from Obi/Amazon. Oh well. Probably best to buy a spare when on sale. New unit was very easy to configure for both GV and my Anveo 911 service.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't replace an Obi 100 if it is still working. I can't think of anything that a 200 does better. At $35-$50 for a 200 it doesn't take long to break even vs Magic Jack, Ooma, etc. Heck, it would cost me $8 a month just to put Caller ID on my landline, not to mention long distance service.

I got my 200 on a NewEgg $35 sale. It is the best $35 I have ever spent. I used to do GV callback on my landline for local and long distance calls, which is a bit of a nuisance. On top of that, my landline is old copper and noisy. Vz refuses to fix it - other than installing FIOS.

Here's hoping Obi and GV continue to play well together without going to recurring cost plan.