Thread: Should I just forget it?

Feedback Score

Should I just forget it?

Hello,

I am really intrigued by the Project Fi paradigm (and cost), but I need advice. I have been studying the coverage maps off the Fi website, T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular. The Fi website show the area where my house is located as having no coverage? Is there any way for me to really test or verify that? My house is almost on top of a Verizon tower and that is really the only carrier for which I can get a signal at my house/yard/street. But, I am only needing a signal strong enough for voice calls, not LTE or data. I can use Wi Fi for that. Is there any way for me to determine if I am in a "roaming" area for one of Fi's contracted carriers that would use Verizon? Is there some way to view the various carriers' roaming agreements?

Or should I just forget about Fi and move on?

Thank you,
    David

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You have to be in T-Mobile's coverage area in order to sign up for Project Fi.

If Verizon is that close, look into Verizon MVNOs that cater to your needs. Boom Mobile comes to mind.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I don't know the answer, but Fi voice calls would also route over your WiFi at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    You have to be in T-Mobile's coverage area in order to sign up for Project Fi.
    If Verizon is that close, look into Verizon MVNOs that cater to your needs. Boom Mobile comes to mind.

I can go to other parts of town where there is a strong T-Mobile signal to sign up. I was just wondering if I manually chose US Cellular, for example, would I roam to Verizon (3G). On the US Cellular website it shows that they have "partner" coverage in my area. However, as I said, the Project Fi coverage map shows me with NO coverage in my neighborhood area.

Verizon MVNOs are an option, and I have looked at Boom. I am currently with Virgin Mobile and will leave them once I have used up my balance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    I don't know the answer, but Fi voice calls would also route over your WiFi at home.
    My WiFi can't reach to the outside edges of my yard or in my neighbors' yards. Inside the house I am fine.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antebellum View Post
    I can go to other parts of town where there is a strong T-Mobile signal to sign up. I was just wondering if I manually chose US Cellular, for example, would I roam to Verizon (3G). On the US Cellular website it shows that they have "partner" coverage in my area. However, as I said, the Project Fi coverage map shows me with NO coverage in my neighborhood area.

Verizon MVNOs are an option, and I have looked at Boom. I am currently with Virgin Mobile and will leave them once I have used up my balance.
    You can't choose a particular carrier for more than a couple hours. Trust me I know.

The cost for trying is pretty minimal, so go for it. Get a temporary number, and if all goes well you can port your number over later.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antebellum View Post
    It's not automatic. When I was on Project Fi, roaming outside of T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular was only available if none of the three carriers had native coverage.

As an example, my mother lives west of Rockford IL where Sprint and US Cellular have service but T-Mobile roams on AT&T. If I tried to manually switch to T-Mobile the phone would time out, then go back to Sprint.

If you haven't already, use Sensorly to see which carriers best serve your area. Sounds like Verizon does, but there might be another.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gweeper View Post
    For me, Project Fi WiFi calling was very iffy. Took seconds after answering before you could talk, and about 5% of the time it was just one way audio.

And don't get me started if the phone just happened to catch an open WiFi signal at a store/restaurant while you were at a stop light and someone tried calling. They said it transitions well from WiFi to cellular but not well enough IMO.

It may have improved since I was last on a few months ago. I hope it does get better - the concept is awesome!