Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tethering on New Unlimited Plan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tethering on New Unlimited Plan

Does Cricket's hotspot restriction on the new unlimited plan block native hotspot in non Cricket Android phones?

Does it block third party tethering apps?

Thank you

Feedback Score
    Depends on what phone you have.
    Not all out of the box phones will work. You can try tethering apps
    Like foxfi or pdanet. And some phones you will need to root.
    And yes cricket can still tell that you are tethering.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge(T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I know that AT&T branded phones won't work since they phone home but cannot connect to AT&T hotspot server to authenticate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Extreme 250 internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Pace Next Gen XGv2(X1) Non-DVR), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does Cricket allow a VPN?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Grateful4Advice View Post
    yes, but realize that there are other ways cricket might detect tethering that are not obfuscated by a vpn.

As to what extent Cricket is monitoring for such traffic, this isn't public knowledge. The story is likely to change with the transition the AT&T proxy servers.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm able to use OpenVPN on Cricket, but not PPTP. I've not tested other forms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I appreciate the information. I have no need for a VPN if it doesn't facilitate tethering.

Would it be accurate to say that Cricket doesn't permit tethering but is not actively blocking it?

Do we know if the transition to ATT proxy servers is likely to further restrict tethering?

Thank-you

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's against the TOS but the only warnings thusfar have been against MiFi hotspot users, not people that tether on BYOD phones. I occasionally tether on the unlimited plan and have had no issues. Basically only when my cable goes out. So they are not enforcing anything yet, even the hotspot device users have only received a text warning.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the information. I have no need for a VPN if it doesn't facilitate tethering.

Would it be accurate to say that Cricket doesn't permit tethering but is not actively blocking it?

Do we know if the transition to ATT proxy servers is likely to further restrict tethering?

Thank-you
    A VPN will hide the user agent strings from Cricket and will hide the fact that you are visiting desktop sites rather than mobile sites. I think that is about it. They can still tell that you are tethering other ways. If you use more than some unstated number of GB a month they will flag your account for additional scrutiny.

A few months ago they sent out warning notices about excessive data use. They are watching what is going on and will not allow the unlimited plan to be used for home Internet replacement contrary to the terms of service for large amounts of data.

The phone tethering app will not work if it was supplied by a carrier, i.e., if the phone is carrier branded it won't work.

Almost all third party tethering apps require the phone to be rooted. Many of them don't work on recent versions of Android past about 4.1.

PDANet/Foxfi may work without the phone being rooted. You can try it for free, but the uncrippled version costs ~$9.

Feedback Score
    It's all moot. Everything they do is reactive. The MIFI is easy to detect because of the MAC address and low hanging fruit. Detecting that my Nexus 6p is rooted and using hot spot is much harder and not likely. Even if they did, you could work around it with OPENVPN or some other type of proxy. Regardless, if they are going after you it would be because of excessive data usage not the teather. I've tethered on every network without issues for years. No one stops it and cricket certainly isn't going to be the first.

As for excessive data usage. If you're going to do that, dump your number on Google Voice or something similar, forward your calls to the cricket number which is throw away. If they dump you, sign back up with a new account and they can go through the motions of finding you again via high usage.

I've been with Cricket for a year now and have used upwards of 200gb in a month without issue. Even in Canada. I've even had a cell phone in Canada for 6 months straight without issue.

Device(s)
    Moto G, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post
    I'm able to use OpenVPN on Cricket, but not PPTP. I've not tested other forms.
    Glad you can confirm PPTP problems.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E_tron View Post
    Glad you can confirm PPTP problems.
    Given the security issues, do people still use PPTP?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    It's all moot. Everything they do is reactive. The MIFI is easy to detect because of the MAC address and low hanging fruit. Detecting that my Nexus 6p is rooted and using hot spot is much harder and not likely. Even if they did, you could work around it with OPENVPN or some other type of proxy. Regardless, if they are going after you it would be because of excessive data usage not the teather. I've tethered on every network without issues for years. No one stops it and cricket certainly isn't going to be the first.

As for excessive data usage. If you're going to do that, dump your number on Google Voice or something similar, forward your calls to the cricket number which is throw away. If they dump you, sign back up with a new account and they can go through the motions of finding you again via high usage.

I've been with Cricket for a year now and have used upwards of 200gb in a month without issue. Even in Canada. I've even had a cell phone in Canada for 6 months straight without issue.

Reactive all the way! Do you use Google Voice or can you recommend another service like it? I thought GVoice was going away.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lip008 View Post
    Reactive all the way! Do you use Google Voice or can you recommend another service like it? I thought GVoice was going away.
    Considering that google just released a new Google Voice app and redid the website, it seems unlikely that they will abandon Voice in the next couple of years.

I suppose Cricket could also be monitoring TTLs to detect tethering.

Feedback Score
    Google Voice is not going anywhere. I am a big fan. I use it all the time especially when I have no cell coverage and WIFI only. I also use an Obi-Talk device for a free home phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast