Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Verizon still have problems with their network dropping to 2G/3G?

Feedback Score

Does Verizon still have problems with their network dropping to 2G/3G?

Back in late 2011, I got a iPhone 4S and switched to Verizon. I remember having a lot of problems with the phone. Back then, 3G was the fastest service, but the phone would fall back to 2G frequently. Frequently I would just be sitting at my desk with a 3G signal, then the phone would suddenly drop to 2G for some reason. I actually posted about the problem here, and a few people replied saying they had the same problem. It was so bad that I had to switch back to AT&T.

Well now I need to buy a new phone, and I'd like to switch to either Verizon or T-Mobile. I wonder if Verizon has fixed their problems, or would I have problems with the phone dropping from 4G LTE to the 2G/3G network? If it helps, I live around Germantown/Gaithersburg Maryland.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I can have it happen in my office. But ATT could drop too when I had it. So it depends on location location location.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm in that area (Germantown/Gaithersburg) regularly.

The main time I've historically experienced problems like that is when I've been in a very marginal coverage zone. If I'm at ~1 bar, it's not terribly uncommon for me to get booted off. It does seem like it happens less on LTE than it did under 2G/3G, though.

I think there are a lot of places in that area where the base stations are seriously overloaded. For example, I know Rio and Crown are terrible. I don't lose a signal, but it's not uncommon on a Friday/Saturday night to lose meaningful data services (presumably due to congestion). Verizon and their partners (e.g., Crown Castle) have applications to put in new towers and small cells, but Gaithersburg and MoCo residents are fighting them at every opportunity.

It has gotten better in some areas over the last 6 months, so I think they're reallocating spectrum to LTE. But it makes service very patchy.

AT&T seemed a little more consistent in that area when I had it, although I ran into coverage problems in other places with AT&T.

Device(s)
    Moto G, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Seamless data roaming from LTE to eHRDP (3G EVDO) works very well. The data session is preserved during that jump. However, seamless roaming back to LTE does not work that well. You basically have to wait for your data channel to idle up before the radios will attempt to re-affiliate with LTE. I'm pretty sure eHRDP seamless data roaming does not work when you transition to the '2G' 1xRTT network, so a new data session is required.

No experience with voice roaming between VoLTE and 1xRTT.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I do not believe that VoLTE can drop to CDMA. It would drop the call.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I do not believe that VoLTE can drop to CDMA. It would drop the call.
    I think the OP is asking about your phone being on your desk and it suddenly pick up 1x rtt out of nowhere. But I might be wrong, maybe we are talking about dropped calls.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It appeared to be some drift to talking about changing during a session.

Feedback Score
    In fringe areas i've seen our Galaxy note 2's get stuck on 3G and not want to switch back without moving to a stronger area or a reboot.
    There shouldn't be any significant loss in coverage by locking it to LTE only or at least it wouldn't be noticeable here.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (utilized in LTE in Rural America Partner area)
    Feedback Score
    I think the PRL is 8 minutes after dropping down to 3G before the phone searches for LTE again.
    Current Device: Black iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier: Verizon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    In fringe areas i've seen our Galaxy note 2's get stuck on 3G and not want to switch back without moving to a stronger area or a reboot.
    There shouldn't be any significant loss in coverage by locking it to LTE only or at least it wouldn't be noticeable here.
    How can you lock it to lte? I have an iPhone 7, what setting locks it to lte?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+, Xperia C4, and 99 more...
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    With an iPhone, unfortunately you can't force LTE only. I really wish you could.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Does Verizon still have problems with their network dropping to 2G/3G?

Yes. I routinely have this problem in Redmond, Sammamish and Issaquah, WA. It's the main reason that my T-mobile phone often outperforms my VZW phone.

FWIW, AT&T and T-mobile both have solid LTE in this area. VZW has a some LTE holes. Sprint is truly horrible - alternating between overloaded band 25 LTE and EV-DO, with occasional islands of band 41.

The best advice I can give is to try a month of prepaid on the carriers you think you may want to use. Collect your own data on the locations that matter to you. Getting an unlocked/SIM free device that supports the technologies used by both carriers allows you to experiment.
    Last edited by mch; 03-07-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, hated it even here in downtown Washington DC when my phone would go to 3g & then have to wait . . . . for LTE to come back. 3g is painfully S-L-O-W.

No problem now with my AT&T phone as 3g ALWAYS works just fine & no crappy VoLTE issues to deal with. No need to fear LTE going away any more.

Feedback Score
    I have had it happen where my Vz S4 would just lose data connection altogether in an area that should have had good signal. I had to restart the phone to get it to connect. Even then I only got ~500 Kbps. This was on a Saturday early evening. Maybe all the kids in the area were streaming YouTube or something and overloading the cell.

I have had inexplicable slow service with Sprint around here, but that is Sprint. T-Mo is even worse. AT&T isn't extremely fast, but always seems to be there at 2-4 Mbps even away from towns.

All in my location in central Virginia - not a major metro area.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is the one thing that really grinds my gears about Verizon, not sure why they can't figure out how to make sure phones don't just idle in 3G before jumping up to LTE. It takes like five minutes for the phone to switch to LTE. Toggling airplane mode is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    Yes. I routinely have this problem in Redmond, Sammamish and Issaquah, WA. It's the main reason that my T-mobile phone often outperforms my VZW phone.

FWIW, AT&T and T-mobile both have solid LTE in this area. VZW has a some LTE holes. Sprint is truly horrible - alternating between overloaded band 25 LTE and EV-DO, with occasional islands of band 41.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast