Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Buy $20 hotspot add on to use as home internet replacement?

Feedback Score

Buy $20 hotspot add on to use as home internet replacement?

I'm seriously considering replacing my Comcast home internet (use roughly 750gb/mo,) with the $20 hotspot add on and getting ththe 99cent hotspot with 2 year contract. Would this be advisable? It would be some serious savings for me.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Why not? If you've got good signal and speed seems like a good idea. Plus it's portable. I've got 2 of the explores. They are very rugged and have 3x CA which helps. If your wanting this to be your primary internet I might suggest spending the $50 for the explore as it's the Latest and greatest and has all the carrier bands. Just my 2cents.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you can get Comcast then it wouldn't be worth it. LTE is not a viable home internet replacement option, especially with 750GB of usage. I could see AT&T begin to terminate customers with excessive usage on these new unlimited plans.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    I'm seriously considering replacing my Comcast home internet (use roughly 750gb/mo,) with the $20 hotspot add on and getting ththe 99cent hotspot with 2 year contract. Would this be advisable? It would be some serious savings for me.
    I tested that a while ago with a VZW UDP and it didn't work out. Probably because we have 4 in our household, 2 PS4, 4 smartphones, 3 iPads and a Mac.

The problem was when we ran the 2 PS4 at once which happens often and someone wanting to use their iPad or Mac it was way too laggy and stuttering all the time. Maybe because of the pings. With Comcast I get pings in the mid to high teens.

But if it was just my wife and I I think it would work.

Personally I would never replace cable internet with cellular mobile data for primary home internet anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    If you can get Comcast then it wouldn't be worth it. LTE is not a viable home internet replacement option, especially with 750GB of usage. I could see AT&T begin to terminate customers with excessive usage on these new unlimited plans.
    AT&T OLAM specifically says you have up to 976GB of usage with the new UDPs. Fire up myAT&T and see for yourself.

With deprioritization, and Randall's quotes, I seriously doubt you would get kicked off for 750GB of usage.

My car is right next to my apartment... I have no problem using a ZTE Mobley to fuel my house with internet. Posting with this very connection.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post

Personally I would never replace cable internet with cellular mobile data for primary home internet anyway.
    You are correct that lag is the one reason you would not want to go 4G. That is why 5G is coming. For those of us that don't game online much, it's fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    AT&T OLAM specifically says you have up to 976GB of usage with the new UDPs. Fire up myAT&T and see for yourself.

With deprioritization, and Randall's quotes, I seriously doubt you would get kicked off for 750GB of usage.

My car is right next to my apartment... I have no problem using a ZTE Mobley to fuel my house with internet. Posting with this very connection.
    Speculation gets everyone nowhere. The OLAM is not indicative of being able to use 976GB without consequence. I seriously doubted Verizon would have done have the things they have this year, but look where we are now . That's your choice to use cellular data for your main connection, but unless that's your only option, it's really not a great option to try and use LTE to replace a dedicated wired connection. If cellular is your own option the I'd start trying to get the wired providers to start getting on the real ISP bandwagon.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    It isn't speculation to say that AT&T has posted a limit. The 976 GB limit is not speculation at all. It is also not speculation to note that these plans are no contract, the worst AT&T can do is fire you as a customer. Same with cable. I see no reason to not try it, and see what happens.

Feedback Score

When I called the connected car dept to ask why it's saying 976GB they said it's only a # and it's unlimited. 'Even if I go over 976?' They said absolutely.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    When I called the connected car dept to ask why it's saying 976GB they said it's only a # and it's unlimited. 'Even if I go over 976?' They said absolutely.

We don't know what will happen if someone goes over 976 GB. Nobody has yet. I suspect, at a minimum, AT&T would likely contact you to figure out why you were going that far with your usage. Cable operators do the same thing, because the typical reason is that a computer has been infected with a virus, and is running denial of service attacks. This is actually the most common reason for a consumer to use that much data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It isn't speculation to say that AT&T has posted a limit. The 976 GB limit is not speculation at all. It is also not speculation to note that these plans are no contract, the worst AT&T can do is fire you as a customer. Same with cable. I see no reason to not try it, and see what happens.
    976GB is a direct contradiction of an 'unlimited plan', so obviously one of those is a number. I do hope AT&T terminates users for using 750GB, especially if they can get cable. Paying $60 a month is so much better than the $350 I'm used to paying for a T1 line just to have reliable internet before we forced the telephone company to run Fiber out here. There are so many people who would go crazy to be able to get 6Meg DSL so I guess it's just hard to fathom giving up a wired connection in favor for a de-prioritized wireless connection.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    We don't know what will happen if someone goes over 976 GB. Nobody has yet. I suspect, at a minimum, AT&T would likely contact you to figure out why you were going that far with your usage. Cable operators do the same thing, because the typical reason is that a computer has been infected with a virus, and is running denial of service attacks. This is actually the most common reason for a consumer to use that much data.
    Cable operators that actually have usage caps will charge for overages. Before AT&T offered unlimited home internet, I would get charged for going over my allowance. Same thing for cable. I know plenty of people who get an overage charge slapped on their bill when they exceed their cable caps, it's not just a threat for some.

Feedback Score

Do the 'real' hotspots show the 976GB?

Wouldn't be hard using 976GB if you're an RV'er. Maybe it would if you use 32.5GB a day.

Last edited by macher52; 03-08-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Feedback Score
    I'll have to see what my parents usage is in their RV. They use it constantly and a lot.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile for the whole globe , Att reactivated!!!
    Feedback Score
    There is Comcast promo 25/10 internet 29.99, no tax, why use Att for 20+tax I cannot understand. IMHO cable is more stable than wireless.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast