Thread: IMEI or MEID to check BYOD verification?

Feedback Score

IMEI or MEID to check BYOD verification?

Got kind of an urgent question. My son has an iPhone 4s on TracFone that has given up the ghost, completely, and being three generations old ain't worth fixing. He's looking for a replacement and I'm helping him since I have a Swappa account.

I found a good deal on a Verizon 6s; TracFone in this area is Verizon I guess because both my son and my wife (Galaxy 5s) are using Vzw units on it. I asked the seller to run the serial number and she said the IMEI came back as compatible but the MEID with the extra number didn't.

My understanding is that the IMEI holds sway with a CDMA phone, correct or not? Like I said, it's kind of an urgent situation since his phone is kaput but I want to make sure we get something that will work.

Also, can you just swap a TracFone SIM to a new phone or will he need to go through customer service to transfer service, minutes, etc.?

Feedback Score
    I found the answer about swapping the SIM in another thread.

Feedback Score
    Swap the SIM and the new phone should be operational within minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Swap the SIM and the new phone should be operational within minutes.
    With the minutes following?

Feedback Score
    Following swapping SIM from old iPhone into new phone and turning it on.

Verify calling, SMS, MMS, and data work in the new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    With the minutes following?

Feedback Score

Thanks. My primary question remains, though, if the IMEI shows we're good to go on BYOD (as opposed to MEID with extra number which says it's not compatible) are we actually good to go?

Feedback Score
    Yes, using IMEI for the check is fine. Once you have paid for the phone, the ask the seller to message you the IMEI/MEID - since you paid for them at that point.

Thanks. My primary question remains, though, if the IMEI shows we're good to go on BYOD (as opposed to MEID with extra number which says it's not compatible) are we actually good to go?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I believe the iPhone 4S was the last phone to use Micro SIMs. From iPhone 5 and newer, Apple switched to Nano SIMs.

So before you swap the sim to your new iPhone 6S, I believe you're going to have to cut it. It's not too hard; you should be able to do it with scissors if you are careful. If you're more nervous, you can get someone at a cell phone store to use a sim cutter.

Feedback Score
    Sorry, I missed that you had a 4S with a microSIM. You should buy a TracFone BYOP SIM kit for $1 at Dollar General, Best Buy, and Target and transfer service from your existing SIM. Forget about cutting your SIM down and risking damage to the new phone.

Transferring CDMA to CDMA should only take a few minutes. If you have a high balance, chat with TracFone to document your existing balance before transferring.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    You won't be able to cut the SIM down because there is no SIM, unless the iPhone 4s is being used on GSM. It's a 3G phone so you will need to transfer to a Tracfone BYOP SIM - Verizon nano.

And yes, make sure you have a chat log with your balance and customer service ref#.

Feedback Score
    I kind of figured I'd need to get a new SIM.

I tried TracFone chat to try to get some confirmation about the IMEI showing this phone as valid, but it was a waste of time which didn't surprise me at all. They kept asking for the IMEI or MEID, and just couldn't grasp the concept that buying on Swappa, I'm not going to have the MEID or IMEI in hand until I buy the phone. I sort of knew that's what would probably happen going in, but you want to try to nail things down before shelling out a few hundered bucks.

I'm leaning toward taking the gamble, because it's too good a deal to pass up and somebody's going to grab it if I don't. It's a Verizon phone that's never been on postpaid so it ought to work, the IMEI says it will work, there's no reason it shouldn't work, if it doesn't we'll just port him to Boom probably and be done with it.

Feedback Score
    Followup, took the gamble with the phone ... too good a deal to pass up ... got the number, it's compatible, going to get a new SIM (and maybe an extra or two just in case) and when phone gets here we should be good to go. Thanks for info.

Feedback Score
    Congratulations!

FYI. .. TracFone CDMA SIMs are reusable, while GSMs are not. I'd buy at least two TracFone BYOP SIM kits.

Followup, took the gamble with the phone ... too good a deal to pass up ... got the number, it's compatible, going to get a new SIM (and maybe an extra or two just in case) and when phone gets here we should be good to go. Thanks for info.