Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Pixel no longer certified to work on Page Plus??

Feedback Score

Google Pixel no longer certified to work on Page Plus??

My daughter's Google Pixel, just a few months old, stopped working on PagePlus last month. I just got around to contacting PagePlus today, and was told (via online chat) that it is no longer certified to work with PagePlus. Checking the chat transcript, I do see a reference to April 1. Plus the rep did say my daughter would be getting a text about this, but that has not happened yet.

I think I am going to start a separate question about my experience. Hope that's not too confusing!
    Last edited by meredithj; 03-08-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Feedback Score

Google Pixel no longer certified to work on Page Plus??

This is a little tl;dr, so I put the essentials in bolded text.

I was just told today by a PagePlus rep that my daughter's Google Pixel phone, which she had been using on PagePlus for over three months, is no longer certified to use on PagePlus. Has anyone else heard this?

Background: I bought my daughter a Google Pixel phone back in October, from the Google Store, not from Verizon. My daughter switched the PagePlus SIM card that had been in her old iphone into the Pixel right away, so her Pixel phone has been on PagePlus since the beginning. It worked fine until sometime last month, when it stopped being able to make or receive phone calls or texts or to access the internet.

At some point, her phone started working again, but checking the settings, it appeared to be on Verizon Wireless, or maybe Tracfone, even though we do not have an account with either of those carriers. (I mention Tracfone because the APN, which shows as two lines, says Verizon on top and TRACFONE.VZWENTP underneath that.)

I finally got around to contacting PagePlus today, via online chat, and the rep told me that my daughter's phone is no longer certified to be used on PagePlus. I was so surprised! The PP ref said this was a new policy, and that my daughter would be getting a text about it. (No text yet.)

Basically, if I understood him correctly, the only phones that are (now) certified to be used on PagePlus are phones that were bought from PagePlus or that were on Verizon Wireless, but are now out of contract. I told him that Google Pixels are sold by Verizon, even though we bought ours elsewhere (the Google Store), but that did not seem to help. He said he even checked the MEID, and that "your daughter's device is not eligible to use on Page Plus."

I see there is another thread here* about texts from PagePlus saying that phones would be kicked off as of April 1. Although it's not clear to me, I think that might be the text that the rep said my daughter would be getting. (But it's confusing, because then why would my daughter's phone *already* not be working on PagePlus?)

I am so disappointed. The entire family has been on PagePlus for years now. But if this is for real, we might have to leave.

Any thought, insights, or suggestions?

Btw, if anyone is curious, I can post the entire chat transcript.

*http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ge-Plus-by-4-1

Feedback Score
    AlexTrac, can you confirm that Google Pixel phones (bought from the Google Store) are no longer certified to work on PagePlus? (Simple question, I hope!)

(Please don't just refer me to the website or suggest I call PP -- I spent a long time this afternoon on chat with an agent, and I am still not clear what's going on.)

Feedback Score
    I just read through some other threads here, and I see that Tracfone took over PagePlus. Who knew? (Well, lots of people, I imagine, but not me.) So maybe that explains why the APN on my daughter's phone says "tracfone.vzwentp".

But that doesn't explain why the rep was so adamant that my daughter's phone is not certified to work on PagePlus -- he even checked the MEID and confirmed that.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithj View Post
    I just read through some other threads here, and I see that Tracfone took over PagePlus. Who knew? (Well, lots of people, I imagine, but not me.) So maybe that explains why the APN on my daughter's phone says "tracfone.vzwentp".

But that doesn't explain why the rep was so adamant that my daughter's phone is not certified to work on PagePlus -- he even checked the MEID and confirmed that.

That's correct and the APN change may be related to what's going on with phones on Page Plus. That and Verizon is migrating to new voice mail systems.

There were a bunch of people on Tracfone (with Verizon carrier) with iPhones that lost their cellular internet connection and had to update their APN.

But I'm confused. Is your phone working or not? If the APN was updated and it is then I wouldn't worry about it.

Feedback Score
    Hi, bw01. Sorry about the confusion -- it's sort of a long story, and I tried to avoid including things that might not be directly relevant to my question.

But yes, the phone is working now. But when I look at the account online, it does not show that the PIN that I added last month was ever applied (it should have been applied on March 5), and the call records show no activity after Feb. 9, even though my daughter uses the phone constantly. So I initially contacted PP just to get all of that straightened out, and ended up being told by the rep that the phone is no longer authorized, and I would need to buy a new one. So idk, really, what's going on.

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone, as long as my daughter can use the phone. If she's happy, who am I to raise issues?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Hi, bw01. Sorry about the confusion -- it's sort of a long story, and I tried to avoid including things that might not be directly relevant to my question.

But yes, the phone is working now. But when I look at the account online, it does not show that the PIN that I added last month was ever applied (it should have been applied on March 5), and the call records show no activity after Feb. 9, even though my daughter uses the phone constantly. So I initially contacted PP just to get all of that straightened out, and ended up being told by the rep that the phone is no longer authorized, and I would need to buy a new one. So idk, really, what's going on.

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone, as long as my daughter can use the phone. If she's happy, who am I to raise issues?
    Well I would say just leave well enough alone. But since you're hear looking for answers and not getting anywhere with Tracfone/Page Plus. I would recommend that you look into moving to Boom Mobile. I'm sure your Pixel would be certified to work there and they have better deals on plans.

I don't know what plan you have on P+, but you must be using the $29.95 or a higher cost plan since you're using a 4G LTE device. With Boom, their plans start at $20 per month for unlimited talk and text and 250 MB of data and go up from there. They also use Verizon and have full roaming included at no extra charge.

A lot of people are moving from P+ to Boom and they have excellent customer service and have a representative on howardforums that is very helpful. Look for a couple of threads on the General Prepaid section of the forum.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the recommendation! Yes, my daughter's phone is on the $39.95 plan. I will check out Boom.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It's kind of funny - they sell the Google Pixel on their site: https://www.pagepluscellular.com/phones/ or technically their affiliate site: http://www.pageplusphonestore.com/Go...-32GB-LTE.html

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Their version comes with a 4.7" screen though. Must be a tracfone special.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    ^^Their version comes with a 4.7" screen though. Must be a tracfone special.
    Hah! I didn't catch that.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTrac View Post
    Hello meredithj ! We're sorry for the inconvenience, please visit our website to view our large selection of phones or call us at 1(800) 550-2436. For your convenience our agents are available Monday through Sunday 8 AM - 11:45 PM Eastern.
    Why wouldn't a Pixel from the Play Store work on PPC? It will work on any other Vzw MVNO, right?

Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My daughter's Google Pixel, just a few months old, stopped working on PagePlus last month. I just got around to contacting PagePlus today, and was told (via online chat) that it is no longer certified to work with PagePlus. Checking the chat transcript, I do see a reference to April 1. Plus the rep did say my daughter would be getting a text about this, but that has not happened yet.

I think I am going to start a separate question about my experience. Hope that's not too confusing!
    What does the IMEI say at https://www.verizonwireless.com/brin...e/#checkDevice ?

Feedback Score
    Interesting discussion, enjoyed following this thread. I have my Google Pixel on Tracfone's BYOP program and it was obtained from Verizon Wireless. If the CDMA portion is giving you trouble, just activate it with a GSM SIM Card. The phone both supports GSM and CDMA.

Feedback Score
    Okay, OP here, with a bit of an update. The first rep I spoke with yesterday (Erick), said: "I have already checked that MEID/IMEI and your daughter's device is not eligible to use on Page Plus."

After posting here, I contacted PP support again via chat, and got a different rep (Luis). I asked Luis to check the SIM card number on my daughter's phone, instead of the MEID. His response: "Your phone number is already attached to this SIM card." I asked if that meant that everything is fine, and he said yes, that's correct. Given that my daughter's phone is now working, I guess whatever problem she had before (not able to make calls, texts, or go online), has been fixed.

So maybe the confusion with Erick, the first rep, comes down to his checking the MEID instead of the SIM card? Idk. But I do know that Erick made a lot of comments about something having to do with my daughter's phone not working after April 1 due to a new update, and a text that my daughter should expect to get (daughter has received no such text). I actually think he was confused, and that my daughter's phone would still work on PP after 4/1. (Although I won't know for sure, as we are switching to Boom!)

Anyway, for what it's worth, here are some comments from the chat transcript, with my added comments in brackets and italics, about this mysterious new policy that Erick seemed to think means that my daughter's Google Pixel phone is/will not be certified to work with PagePlus:

Erick: Only phones from the carrier you mentioned [I think he means Verizon Wireless, although that's not clear] will be eligible for activation on Page Plus.
    Erick: Page Plus will discontinue the service for the type of phone your daughter is currently using on this account.
    Erick: To avoid losing the service, you will need to change to a Page Plus certified device before 04/01/2017.

Erick: Because this a new update, Page Plus will no longer provide service for that type of phones. [Not entirely sure what he means by "that type of phone." I told him more than one thing about my daughter's phone, including that it is a Google Pixel, that I bought it from the Google Store, and that it was never on Verizon Wireless, only on PagePlus.]

Erick: Page Plus will only support phones purchased directly from our website. Or phones that belongs to the carrier you mentioned above as long as they are out of contract. Other phones will not work on Page Plus network.
    Erick: To avoid losing the service, you will need to change to a Page Plus certified device before 04/01/2017.
    Erick: Sorry for the inconvenience.

Me: Okay, please, bear with me. This was clearly not the case before, as my daughter's phone was working on Page Plus for months. Is this a brand new policy, and if so, when did it go into effect?
    Erick: Yes, Page Plus is sending a text message regarding this update.
    Erick: UInfortuatnely, the currant device is not eligible for use on Page Plus.

Me: Can you give me some idea when my daughter will get this text you speak of? You say "soon." Do you mean like, a few minutes or hours soon? Or like, in days or maybe next week? Not trying to give you a hard time here, just trying to figure out what's going on!
    Erick: No, you will no longer be able to use that phone on Page Plus after 04/01/2017. I cannot determine when the system will send that message since it is sent automatically.

Anyway -- I have already initiated the switch to Boom -- just waiting for the new SIM card to arrive! (Thanks again, bw01, for the recommendation.)

pclover, I can't get the Check Device page to work -- I enter the MEID number, and I get a flashing dots thing that indicates it's working, but it never gives me an answer, no matter how long I leave the page open.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast