Cricket
    Feedback Score

The 22GB "cap" on Unlimited

Name:  Cricket 22gb cap1.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  63.4 KBName:  Cricket 22gb cap2.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  63.6 KB

I actually figured this out when it was first announced, I'm just, well, confused, why people are acting like its a hard cap that will last the rest of your cycle.

If you go over 22GB, and there's no congestion, no cap. If you go over 22GB, and there is congestion, you'll be throttled until the congestion is over and then you'll go back to regular speeds.

To be fair, has anyone gone over and been throttled the entirety of their cycle?

Device(s)
    iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RodimusConvoy View Post

I actually figured this out when it was first announced, I'm just, well, confused, why people are acting like its a hard cap that will last the rest of your cycle.

If you go over 22GB, and there's no congestion, no cap. If you go over 22GB, and there is congestion, you'll be throttled until the congestion is over and then you'll go back to regular speeds.

To be fair, has anyone gone over and been throttled the entirety of their cycle?
    CNET and other sources are writing up the plans are "throttled" after 22GB which has given the impression that "deprioritization" is a hard cap. My son has used more than 100GB on AT&T post paid and never experienced any noticeable speed changes. He streams live soccer matches and streams radio. He rarely uses wifi.
    Last edited by Pastor Marty; 03-08-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    If there's congestion, and the unlimited line is over 22GB, what *speed* is the throttle set at?

Feedback Score
    1. What speed after 22GB?
    2. How do we know if congestion is real or

Device(s)
    Samsung S4 i337z
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    If there's congestion, and the unlimited line is over 22GB, what *speed* is the throttle set at?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    1. What speed after 22GB?
    EDIT: See fdbryant3's response. Right now we don't have an exact number but it won't exactly be the same as throttling.

2. How do we know if congestion is real or
    I'm not sure how it would be fake, but regardless all we have is Cricket's word as this actually won't roll out till April 2nd. They're calling this "Congestion Management" and will send out a text to let customers (who didn't visit the Cricket site or even this site) know this is now a feature they're implementing.
    Last edited by RodimusConvoy; 03-09-2017 at 12:48 AM. Reason: to reflect fdbryant3's answer

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Seems like after 22GB and *if* there's congestion the Unlimited plan could be subject to the same throttled speeds as the other limited plans: 128Kbps. The thing is it's supposed to be temporary if you're on the Unlimited Plan till the congestion clears up. Passing 22GB seems to just open the door to throttle to help with congestion and then you'll return to normal speeds when the congestion is over.

I'm not sure how it would be fake, but regardless all we have is Cricket's word as this actually won't roll out till April 2nd. They're calling this "Congestion Management" and will send out a text to let customers (who didn't visit the Cricket site or even this site) know this is now a feature they're implementing.
    Doesn't cricket limit you to 8 megs a second ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    We'll know if it's fake when everyone here blows through 22gb and is more or less permanently at 128k or not. Something like this is either going to be super noticeable or not at all.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think problem is people are thinking of deprioritization as a throttle but it isn't (I'm guessing). Think of it more like boarding a plane where higher priority passengers get to board before lower priority passengers. If there are only a few people with high priority tickets the lower priority passengers might start boarding after a minute or two. If there are a lot of high priority tickets then maybe it is 10 or 15 minutes.

In other word if you are deprioritized your packets always get pushed to the back of the line. Under normal load this means you should notice little to no slow down. As the tower becomes congested you'll get more of a slow down (although not necessarily to 128k) as your packets have to wait to be processed. When the congestion lets up your speeds return to normal. The deprioritization continues to your next billing cycle.

This is unlike the throttle on capped users. For them once they exceed their data allotment they are reduced 128kb till their next billing cycle (or they change plans to get more data). For what it is worth though, the 128k packets should have a higher priority than deprioritized packets.......there is just a limit on how fast they can go through.

Device(s)
    Samsung S4 i337z
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fdbryant3 View Post
    I think problem is people are thinking of deprioritization as a throttle but it isn't (I'm guessing). Think of it more like boarding a plane where higher priority passengers get to board before lower priority passengers. If there are only a few people with high priority tickets the lower priority passengers might start boarding after a minute or two. If there are a lot of high priority tickets then maybe it is 10 or 15 minutes.

In other word if you are deprioritized your packets always get pushed to the back of the line. Under normal load this means you should notice little to no slow down. As the tower becomes congested you'll get more of a slow down (although not necessarily to 128k) as your packets have to wait to be processed. When the congestion lets up your speeds return to normal. The deprioritization continues to your next billing cycle.

This is unlike the throttle on capped users. For them once they exceed their data allotment they are reduced 128kb till their next billing cycle (or they change plans to get more data). For what it is worth though, the 128k packets should have a higher priority than deprioritized packets.......there is just a limit on how fast they can go through.
    Excellent analogy, excellent point. I myself was guilty of that, conflating deprioritization with throttling. Still, the interesting thing is, and the reason why I made this thread in the first place, is that however you describe it it is is meant to be temporary. Its only deprioritized until the congestion clears and then goes back to normal, but most of the posts I saw made it seem like 22GB was a hard cap. Even in the screenshots, after the Cricket rep explained this to the woman she was still "Nope I'm leaving and telling my friends to leave."

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    Excellent analogy, excellent point. I myself was guilty of that, conflating deprioritization with throttling. Still, the interesting thing is, and the reason why I made this thread in the first place, is that however you describe it it is is meant to be temporary. Its only deprioritized until the congestion clears and then goes back to normal, but most of the posts I saw made it seem like 22GB was a hard cap. Even in the screenshots, after the Cricket rep explained this to the woman she was still "Nope I'm leaving and telling my friends to leave."
    I actually liked the airport comparison. As I understand it, the deprioritization doesn't go away until the next billing cycle, just that unless it is busy (congested) then the priority doesn't matter.

Maybe a better example would be a restaurant. You go out to a restaurant on a Friday/Saturday night but forget to make a reservation -- so all the people with reservations (higher priority) get seated before you and you have a long wait. OTOH, you could go to that same restaurant on a week night, particularly early in the evening (maybe 5 pm) and they have plenty of tables -- even though you are "deprioritized" you aren't "slowed down" and get seated immediately.

Feedback Score
    Hofo'ers were misreading and mis-posting. Simple as that. The language was quite clear and it seems pretty fair to me, actually.

A small minority of people probably even use that much data in a month. But even on an unlimited plan, if you are gonna be a glutton and be constantly streaming data, then at some point you need to get in the back of the line and let some of the rest of us use some data in times of network congestion. Please don't make all of us sit back and wait for you, all the time, as you perform your 1000th Speed Test or binge watch your shows.

My analogy is this. Let's say we are all eating at a buffet. If you are a fat a$$ and you gobble up the food standing there in line, and you have already eaten all of the chicken and mashed potatoes in the trays and now we need to wait a few mins until the staff brings another tray out, and a line is building behind you, then you need to get your fat a$$ out of line when that new tray comes and let other people file through and pick up their one piece of chicken and spoon of mashed potatoes. And as you've already proven yourself to be a pig then you can't sit there at the front of the line again and gobble up all the food, you will need to get one piece and then file to the back of the line again. However if it is later in the night and there are just a few people milling around the buffet, then you can go back to your gluttonous ways and nobody is going to stop you.

Feedback Score
    This thread is going to get interesting after April 2nd with all the speed test posts at various times of the day to compare download speeds after 22GB is reached.

I suppose customers need to be on the ATT servers in order to implement congestion management, so I wonder if Cricket plans to migrate all unlimited plans by April 2nd.

A few other questions would be the order of deprioritization. I suppose Cricket will be below ATT Postpaid and GoPhone. Will Cricket also be below other ATT MVNOs like Straight Talk and H2O? Will reduced download speeds be constant or vary depending on the level of congestion? How do we know congestion is real or is Cricket just flagging certain users? Stay tuned.

I don't use the Unlimited Data Plan so these changes won't affect me, but I'm still intrigued by the implementation of the policy.

Feedback Score
    only way is to buy Straight Talk / H2O and test it out. I'm hoping Cricket is above all other MVNO's... but we don't have the inside knowledge so who knows.

If a tower is congested, typically we will see slower speeds anyway, with or without prioritization... so it's a bit of a moot point.

Feedback Score
    Wonder if the plan switch method will reset your unlimited data back below 22GB? Cricket may do away with the reset after migrating to ATT servers. The plot thickens.

There was an earlier thread about plan switching resulted in showing 3GB used of 11GB after upgrading to 8GB plan from 3GB plan. Maybe this is how Cricket will manage plan switching in the future. Instead of resetting, it will keep a tally.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    The unlimited plans 22GB deprioritization effects will depend on where you live at. If you live an in area where the AT&T Wireless Network is always congested then the 22GB deprioritization is then basically throttle. If you live in an area that occasional get congested you are rarely going to notice issues.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast