Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Plans with more texts, less minutes/data

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score

Plans with more texts, less minutes/data

After a few months on Cricket, I'm finding I'm overpaying for things I do not need. My month is almost up and I've used just 50 mb of 1 gb. My family relies heavily on texting, so that's what I use the most. We tend to share a lot of photos too, so I need MMS as well. I am mostly on wifi. I would jump on Tello in a heartbeat, but I hear a lot of complaints about Sprint in this area. Given I'm mostly on wifi, I might give it a try if I can find an inexpensive phone for the experiment. T-Mobile is not the best here either, but with LTE and a Cricket phone that has band 12, I might get it unlocked and try that. I'm willing to experiment as budget permits, so if anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them. Freedom Pop is a definite no after reading on the forums.

I need to get my bill down as low as possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by touchofwhimsy View Post
    I've used just 50 mb of 1 gb. My family relies heavily on texting, so that's what I use the most. We tend to share a lot of photos too, so I need MMS as well. I am mostly on wifi.
    $1 FreedomPop LTE SIM using Hangouts for texts and MMS. Calls over Hangouts (or FreedomPop's Messaging app) will be laggy, and may break-up a bit, but doable.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You might consider Tracfone. Once you are up and running you just need to keep the service going. $50/year. 1000 texts are $5. Minutes and data and text just keep rolling forward as long as you keep the service active. Tracfone supports AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile assuming they have service in the place(s) you need to use the phone. Validated by zip code. SIM kits can be had for $1 + sales tax.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score
    If you're with Cricket you must have an AT&T or unlocked GSM phone. Keep that same phone, purchase an AirVoice SIM card for a buck and sign up for the $20/month plan. Unlimited talk, text, (domestic and international) and MMS plus 100 MB data.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S4 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    Truphone, Piranha, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by touchofwhimsy View Post
    I need to get my bill down as low as possible.
    Since you're mostly on Wi-Fi, I would highly recommend switching your primary number to Google Voice. You can then text and reply (and call) through that via Hangouts on your phone and Gmail / Google Voice webpage on your computer.

While Google Voice finally handles MMS, I'd also suggest a more modern means of sharing photos.

As for a phone service to give you coverage when you're not on Wi-Fi, do you have any preference other than not being on Sprint? Are you in a metropolitan area?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom mobile, Tracfone Verizon BYOP, Selectel, Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I'm with Mathfaster & djphilosophy - combine Tracfone & Google Voice via Hangouts app to obtain very inexpensive service on either Verizon,

AT&T , or T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    [

As for a phone service to give you coverage when you're not on Wi-Fi, do you have any preference other than not being on Sprint? Are you in a metropolitan area?[/QUOTE]

I'm not in a metropolitan area, but not rural either. Whatever works off wifi is fine. I do have an older Tracfone smartphone I can probably activate for a while and I can ask for my Cricket phone to be unlocked next month. So port my number to GV then set up a new number and go from there and I can use computer or phone and just keep usage down.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score
    I have been a big fan of Google Voice for years and used it way back when you had to download Gizmo5 in order to make calls from a PC. (That was when landline phones had a crank on the side.) But I have to warn you that the recent release of the app (version 5.0.1xxxxx) has been a pain in the rear end for me and lots of other users. Check out the GV User Forums and see for yourself. I still can't send and receive text messages using cell data with the new release. Hopefully this is a bug that Google will eventually fix because it worked fine beforehand. Yes, I know there is a way to revert to a previous release by downloading the APK file and installing it but that's beyond what I'm comfortable attempting.

As far as making voice calls with Hangouts over wifi, give it a try. When I used it briefly people would tell me, "It sounds like you're calling me from inside a cave." So, as they say, your mileage may vary.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom mobile, Tracfone Verizon BYOP, Selectel, Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I have my primary cell # @ Tracfone for regular calls when out & about, text, some data. I obtained a local area code # when signing up

for Google voice a few years ago, then use that phone # via Hangouts on my IPhone 6. So, I keep those #'s separate - don't forward

my regular tracfone # thru GV. It works for me, but many folks have GV as their primary , then forward their carrier # thru GV.

Feedback Score
    The cave sound could be due to you phone and/or using speaker phone. Try talking with Hangouts using Chrome on a PC and see if it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I have been a big fan of Google Voice for years and used it way back when you had to download Gizmo5 in order to make calls from a PC. (That was when landline phones had a crank on the side.) But I have to warn you that the recent release of the app (version 5.0.1xxxxx) has been a pain in the rear end for me and lots of other users. Check out the GV User Forums and see for yourself. I still can't send and receive text messages using cell data with the new release. Hopefully this is a bug that Google will eventually fix because it worked fine beforehand. Yes, I know there is a way to revert to a previous release by downloading the APK file and installing it but that's beyond what I'm comfortable attempting.

As far as making voice calls with Hangouts over wifi, give it a try. When I used it briefly people would tell me, "It sounds like you're calling me from inside a cave." So, as they say, your mileage may vary.

Feedback Score
    PureTalk has the senior advantage plan that comes with 600 minutes increasing to 900 minutes or 2700 texts after 6 months and it also comes with 100 mb/100 mms for $15. If you do it correctly, you can purchase 400 mb of data/200 mms for $9.95 and stretch it for a year by calling and canceling before the next billing period begins.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I have been a big fan of Google Voice for years and used it way back when you had to download Gizmo5 in order to make calls from a PC.
    Me too. Ah, nostalgia!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

Plans with more texts, less minutes/data

You need unlimited text but don't want to mess with Freedompop or google voice/hangouts. Stay on cricket and get 5 family members to join the group plan. $20 each and you'll get 3gb data. Start using data on maps,games, music, videos.
    Join Cricket Wireless (same AT&T signal) and get $50 in credit! Click here!

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thank you all for the great options, I'm checking all of them out!

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    You need unlimited text but don't want to mess with Freedompop or google voice/hangouts. Stay on cricket and get 5 family members to join the group plan. $20 each and you'll get 3gb data. Start using data on maps,games, music, videos.
    I haven't had a lot of luck trying to get people on board. Two of my family live about 30 minutes away, but ATT doesn't work for them. If I find two more people locally, we'll probably try that at some point. Another daughter heard a lot of complaints about messaging from her friends, so she won't try Cricket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast