Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: suggest unlocked smartphone?

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

suggest unlocked smartphone?

Hi;
    I am a TracFone customer, with a Moto e. I am having trouble with the phone, so am looking for a replacement.
    I would like to get a smartphone that is not locked, so I can root it. But if none is available for TF, then I'll settle for locked.
    I am looking for an improvement on the moto e (perhaps another motorola?), and definitely with glass (not plastic) screen.
    I would also like more on-board RAM than the 2Gib the moto e has.
    And it definitely has to be an Android, as I have lots of apps I bought for it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

CP

Device(s)
    LG G2 VS980
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket eBay Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2015 View Post
    Hi;
    I am a TracFone customer, with a Moto e. I am having trouble with the phone, so am looking for a replacement.
    I would like to get a smartphone that is not locked, so I can root it. But if none is available for TF, then I'll settle for locked.
    I am looking for an improvement on the moto e (perhaps another motorola?), and definitely with glass (not plastic) screen.
    I would also like more on-board RAM than the 2Gib the moto e has.
    And it definitely has to be an Android, as I have lots of apps I bought for it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

CP
    I'm pretty sure the Moto E only has 1GB RAM. See http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_e-6376.php .

So, for a fully unlocked, compatible on any network phone, with 2GB or greater RAM, I'd recommend any Moto G 4 variant, Moto X Pure, or Nexus 5X, just to name a few.
    PagePlus-PayG 2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 PayG 2013-2016
    Selectel-PayG 2013-2015
    Puppy Wireless-Test 2014
    Tracfone-PayG 2015-2016
    TruPhone-PayG 2015-TBD
    Red Pocket-eBay 2016-TBD (Main)
    Piranha-PayG 2016-TBD
    FreedomPop-GSM 700MB/Mo Free 2016-TBD

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted/De-Bloated) May15-TBD

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Or the soon to be released Moto G5 Plus. No Moto G5 in USA. No announcement of a G5 Play like they announced for the G4 series when they announced the G4 and G4 Plus. G4 Play was for sale a few months later than the G4 and G4 Plus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    So, for a fully unlocked, compatible on any network phone, with 2GB or greater RAM, I'd recommend any Moto G 4 variant, Moto X Pure, or Nexus 5X, just to name a few.
    Is being carrier unlocked the same as being rootable? Would think these are these entirely different subjects.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The Moto e has total of 2Gib, but the OS uses half of it, so yes - only 1Gib for user apps.
    Hopefully, a newer moto will not have the issues the moto e has - like spontaneous rebooting, and now the speaker audio problem.

Feedback Score
    Yes, two totally different subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Is being carrier unlocked the same as being rootable? Would think these are these entirely different subjects.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The Moto e has total of 2Gib, but the OS uses half of it, so yes - only 1Gib for user apps.
    Which Moto E model/generation do you have?

Device(s)
    LG G2 VS980
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket eBay Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, the OP was definitely mixing subjects/terminology. But as I understand it, the non-carrier branded Moto G 4 phones are rootable.

Device(s)
    LG G2 VS980
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket eBay Plan
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully, a newer moto will not have the issues the moto e has - like spontaneous rebooting, and now the speaker audio problem.
    How does the OS use half of the RAM? You're not making much sense. Also, as far as I can tell, both the Moto E 1st & 2nd generations have 1GB of RAM. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_E_(1st_generation)
    http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mot..._gen)-6986.php

Or are you confusing subjects/terminology again? Storage and RAM are two different things.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The OS uses approximately half the 4 GB on board storage (not the 1 GB RAM), whatever the intent to express was, leaving a paltry amount for user content including apps.

Feedback Score
    My Huawei Ascend XT GoPhone with Android Marshmallow has 16GB of internal storage, but only about 8.5GB is available to the user .

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The OS uses approximately half the 4 GB on board storage (not the 1 GB RAM), whatever the intent to express was, leaving a paltry amount for user content including apps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    How does the OS use half of the RAM? You're not making much sense. Also, as far as I can tell, both the Moto E 1st & 2nd generations have 1GB of RAM.
    Yes, no Moto E version had more than 1GB RAM. How much you need depends on the OS version and what apps access RAM in the background. My last Kit Kat phone used about 50% of it's 1GB RAM with no apps running, while by present Marshmallow phone uses over 60% of it's 2GB RAM. Would get to thinking you don't want to run Marshmallow with 1GB!

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Sorry for the confusion. I do have my memory terms confused. I was able to get some apps to run from the 32GB Micro SD card, so the internal limitation wasn't so bad.
    When I said "unlocked", I was referring to the ability for the user to modify or flash the ROM to another version of Android or one of the custom ROMs. I don't think that TracFone allows its "feature phones" to be unlocked in this way. My first phone on TracFone was the Hauwei Glory, which I did root, but never changed the ROM. I managed to brick that phone though. I was careless.

What I have done with my Moto e 1st gen for the time being is to remove the 32GB SD card, un-tick all of the backup/restore options, then did another factory reset. Now I have a stock phone again. I am going to evaluate the phone for a few weeks in this configuration to find whether or not the problems with rebooting and speaker sound re-occur. If not, I will re-install the 32GB SD card, then begin re-installing apps one at a time.

If the problems persist, I will be buying a new phone.

Feedback Score
    The unlock that allows you to flash ROMs is referred to as "unlocking the bootloader". There have been some TracFone smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy Centura (aka Craptura) and the L41C which people figured out how to flash/root.

There are many popular BYOP devices that can be bootloader unlocked/flashed/rooted.

I recommend that you Google for a program "h2testw" and install it on your PC and confirm that your microSD is good/not fake by doing a write/verify test on the entire device. It should not overwrite your data, but you should backup your microSD anyway just in case. I run this on any microSD I buy, as they are all susceptible to being fake, leading to strange rebooting problems with your device.

Sorry for the confusion. I do have my memory terms confused. I was able to get some apps to run from the 32GB Micro SD card, so the internal limitation wasn't so bad.
    When I said "unlocked", I was referring to the ability for the user to modify or flash the ROM to another version of Android or one of the custom ROMs. I don't think that TracFone allows its "feature phones" to be unlocked in this way. My first phone on TracFone was the Hauwei Glory, which I did root, but never changed the ROM. I managed to brick that phone though. I was careless.

What I have done with my Moto e 1st gen for the time being is to remove the 32GB SD card, un-tick all of the backup/restore options, then did another factory reset. Now I have a stock phone again. I am going to evaluate the phone for a few weeks in this configuration to find whether or not the problems with rebooting and speaker sound re-occur. If not, I will re-install the 32GB SD card, then begin re-installing apps one at a time.

If the problems persist, I will be buying a new phone.

Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    The unlock that allows you to flash ROMs is referred to as "unlocking the bootloader". There have been some TracFone smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy Centura (aka Craptura) and the L41C which people figured out how to flash/root.

There are many popular BYOP devices that can be bootloader unlocked/flashed/rooted.

I recommend that you Google for a program "h2testw" and install it on your PC and confirm that your microSD is good/not fake by doing a write/verify test on the entire device. It should not overwrite your data, but you should backup your microSD anyway just in case. I run this on any microSD I buy, as they are all susceptible to being fake, leading to strange rebooting problems with your device.
    Ran h2testw on my Kingston 32GB micro SD card. No errore reported, but the message said that 1MB was not tested. I ran a quick format on the card before starting the test. No files were showing in Explorer, but there could have been a small hidden file. But I think I can rest assured that my SD card is good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast