Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Radioshack Closings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    The problem with Sprint is that they aren't doing anything. They talk a lot but produce little result. Can anyone on here name a large substantial network upgrade such as coverage expansion or a large number of B41 being added? Nope, there have just been a few reports here and there, and likely the B41 LTE they have added are just protection sites.

Heck, we still large swaths of 3G only. That's unacceptable for most users and really is why they are the winner in the race to last place.
    Colorado market seems prime example of sprint getting they stuff together and having lte coverage plus they where lucky to buy us west wireless assets from airtouch/verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tritron7 View Post
    Colorado market seems prime example of sprint getting they stuff together and having lte coverage plus they where lucky to buy us west wireless assets from airtouch/verizon.
    One tiny market out of the entire country isn't encouraging. There is not a single B41 site in the state of Alabama or Arkansas, nor has there been any significant coverage improvements across the country.

Sent from my SM-G930T using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    One tiny market out of the entire country isn't encouraging. There is not a single B41 site in the state of Alabama or Arkansas, nor has there been any significant coverage improvements across the country.

Sent from my SM-G930T using HoFo mobile app
    They are not working on expanding coverage as a priority. They are getting their existing coverage to LTE with the limited resource $s they have. They are deep in debt and have not had a profitable year since 2006. It's all they can do. Getting ready to be compatible with Verizon VoLTE is their priority. Sprint postpaid roams on Verizon voice extensively where Sprint does not have coverage and Verizon is shutting down CDMA voice ~2019.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They are not working on expanding coverage as a priority. They are getting their existing coverage to LTE with the limited resource $s they have. They are deep in debt and have not had a profitable year since 2006. It's all they can do. Getting ready to be compatible with Verizon VoLTE is their priority. Sprint postpaid roams on Verizon voice extensively where Sprint does not have coverage and Verizon is shutting down CDMA voice ~2019.
    Right, but I have not seen any LTE overlay's going on either. The large swaths of 3G do not appear to be going away anytime soon.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Right, but I have not seen any LTE overlay's going on either. The large swaths of 3G do not appear to be going away anytime soon.
    I saw quite a flurry of activity last summer, mainly overlaying LTE to 3G sites and adding Band 41 to existing LTE sites. They've also added a 2nd PCS LTE carrier to most sites around here. Overall it helped a lot and speeds are generally quite acceptable.

That said, there are still quite a number of 3G-only sites... I've noticed that many of these are sites that are on hydro lines -- it doesn't look like the antennas have been touched, and they did GMO's during the first round. I'm not sure if it's just the expense of installing on these installations, or if Sprint needs to re-negotiate the leases with Bonneville Power and the other power companies in the area. Regardless, AT&T and Verizon seem to have had no problem upgrading their hydro line installs... I do know that T-Mobile has some LTE holes on similar sites -- but at least they have HSDPA for 3G...

In addition, Band 26 is now clear in my market (Western Washington) according to their rebanding documents, and have been for a year now. We have no Band 26 yet, and to make it worse, the Sprint NV sites were originally installed with PCS-only panels (I still think it was a dumb move when they could have installed the full antennas and just left the Band 26 turned off until they could turn it on)... so every single site will need to get new panels to get it turned on So I'm not holding my breath... but that will fix a LOT of things around here.

N

Feedback Score
    In my little corner of the country, central Virginia, I have experienced moderate improvement. Three years ago I got slow 1x or 3G at home. Now I get 1.5-2.5 Mbps LTE. According to the maps, they have also covered the area with LTE-Plus. I don't have a LTE-Plus phone.

I also watch and use the coverage in the greater DC area and the Eastern Shore of Maryland. It has measurably improved and claims to have LTE-Plus.

I have not noticed much in coverage area expansion. That is not their priority with their limited money

I'm pretty sure they will be assimilated at a bargain basement price before they ever get to LTE everywhere.

As for Radio Shack, they earned my disdain in the 1970s and 80s when they wouldn't sell anything without you giving your phone number. Sure I just gave them a made up number, but it was irritating and they should have known that.

My last experience with RS was the year that they closed around here. I went in for a 2016 watch battery. They wanted $6. No way. Good riddance to bad trash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint1 View Post
    Seems to me that people love to bash Sprint Sprint has s***** service Sprint is terrible Sprint is awful. Exedra. Verizon is supposed to be the best. I say all them were about the same strenght is the cheapest for me so I go for them. By the way T-Mobile which everyone seems to be loving and buying at record rates has just as bad as service if not worse than Sprint but for some reason people loved it and never complain and say how wonderful and awesome it is when Sprint is exact same thing but for some reason they hate it. Sprint is great service and since it's CDMA and hardly ever drop the phone call unlike T-Mobile. Up in the mountains trip this weekend to Cherokee my phone on Sprint was the only one that had service in the hotel. Everyone else cricket and T-Mobile have nothing. Sprint is not terrible or crappy. They might not have signal everywhere 4 super fast data but you can always know for sure that you're going to get a phone call which is what a cell phone is for by the way. Sprint has never disappointed me and I think I might have only had one dropped call since having their service and that was more the phone than the service. They've been good to me and I like them quite a lot.

Sent from my SM-N910P using HoFo mobile app
    Sorry bro but naw. T-Mobile here in Chicago has been better than Sprint for a while now.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint1 View Post
    I know what you're saying. But I think it's really stupid and ridiculous it's called a cell phone what's wrong with people. I just don't understand it

Sent from my SM-N910P using HoFo mobile app
    It's actually called a smartphone now FYI.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Radioshack Closings

Quote Originally Posted by Greenghost2212 View Post
    It's actually called a smartphone now FYI.

Perhaps we need a new word to encompass "a portable mobile internet connected computer capable of running numerous apps, including an app that can make and receive phone calls"

Looking at my call logs, the last voice call I made was just over a month ago, on March 10. It lasted 11 seconds. The last one before that was on Feb 3. However, I use my smartphone several times every day.

e.g. Just today, I ran a navigation app, listened to an audiobook, listened to some streamed music, used iMessage a few times, checked my email, checked my calendar to find the room/location for a meeting, checked HoFo, checked the weather, read some news, responded to a linkedin message, checked the local power company outage map, read two notifications about credit card transactions, and another about a package delivery from Amazon, and probably some things I have forgotten.
    Last edited by mch; 04-11-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    I hated that Sprint bought Radioshack and predicted this would fail. Unfortunately, it has failed.
    Is anyone really surprised? They've made one mistake after another. But still doesn't top paying 36 billion for Nextel, then a few years later writing off 30 billion of it.

Feedback Score
    Retail really isn't dead, it's just changing. I still don't understand why Sprint bought RS. They could have spent that money on cell site buildouts. Radio Shack has been failing for years, like Kmart/Sears, soon to be Best Buy too probably, along with others. These stores just don't know how to evolve with the times. Take Best Buy for example, the only thing floating them is probably the cell phone and TV sections because everything else has been reduced to the most mainstream devices and whoever pays for the most shelf space. They've gone from it being an electronics store to a "whoever gives us the most ad revenue get the most floor space" store. Kmart has gotten so bad they can't even afford to keep their stores stocked, total downward spiral. That business model is what's dead. If there were warehouses where you could go pick up your online purchases locally/have them delivered (duh Amazon), or walmart-style warehouses that were less visually-centric that used every possible bit of floor space to stock as many items as possible, it would do great.

Feedback Score
    Lawsuit claims Sprint caused RadioShack’s latest bankruptcy

RadioShack’s creditors say Sprint destroyed 6,000 jobs and breached contract.

In a lawsuit filed this week, the creditors claim that Sprint didn't follow through with providing inventory and staff to the shared stores and used information from the partnership to open 200 competing stores near RadioShack's most successful locations. The lawsuit says that by doing that, Sprint destroyed around 6,000 RadioShack jobs and prevented the chain's recovery.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile at&t prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I dont know all the financials but the local radio shack i would go to said for a while that sprint was making things worse. An employee i dealt with frequently and the manager both said sprint was the final nail in the coffin. After a while it closed down

Feedback Score
    The only reason I go to best buy is because they price match Amazon yet I don't have to pay for / wait for shipping to get my stuff. I even got my Moto G5 Plus at the prime price from best buy without it being the prime model with ads.

Feedback Score

Radioshack Closings

A store does peak local interest. We just had a T-Mobile store go in and I started thinking maybe t-Mobile really does have coverage if they put a shiny new store in. Guess it makes an impression -a good but possibly wrong impression.

The one problem with the stores for Sprint is the local presence is a facade for poor coverage. (Every store should have a Magic Box Device.)
    I agree Sprint needs to embrace an online only sales model and allow Walmart, Target & Best Buy to do the local sales.

Once they are as successful as Amazon they can dabble around with retail outlets again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast