Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Future Unlimited Plan for Cricket

Feedback Score

The Future Unlimited Plan for Cricket

Let's discuss about future Cricket plan ↓

The Near Future Unlimited Plan for Cricket

All plan includes unlimited talk, text, and data.

$30 (No autopay, familiy discount) - Data throttled to 512 Kbps
    $40 ($35 with autopay) - Data throttled to 1 Mbps
    $50 ($45 with autopay) - Data throttled to 3 Mbps + int'l text + roaming in Canada, Mexico, selected Europe + 200 min of international talk
    $60 ($55 with autopay) - Data throttled to 8 Mbps + int'l text + roaming in Canada, Mexico, selected Europe + 1000 min international talk

>22GB data usage congestion policy
    $10 - 1GB of high speed data (speed throttled to 8 mbps + hotspot(only allows 1GB each refill))

Feedback Score
    $70 ($65 with autopay) - Full Speed LTE on AT&T, roaming on Verizon, free international roaming on T-mobile, free pizzas every Thursday, and a napkin to clean up the wet dream.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Possible, but doubtful. Seems a bit unlikely though and not much sense getting worked up over it until it happens.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Augmented reality or alternative facts? Strange times indeed!
    Make cheap national and int'l telephone calls with a calling card! Click here!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I honestly think this is the future of wireless - speed tier based unlimited plans.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Doubtful at those speeds you posted. I think the problem with attempting something like this is it will be pretty trivial to get one upped by speed with competition and lose the advertising war in the process. Pretty much leaving us where we are now with unlimited plans but losing priority over a certain threshold or throttling.

So I'd have to say while possible I don't see it happening.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    I honestly think this is the future of wireless - speed tier based unlimited plans.
    Agreed. Cricket is the Petri Dish of the U.S. cellular industry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkgold View Post
    Let's discuss about future Cricket plan ↓

The Near Future Unlimited Plan for Cricket

All plan includes unlimited talk, text, and data.

$30 (No autopay, familiy discount) - Data throttled to 512 Kbps
    $40 ($35 with autopay) - Data throttled to 1 Mbps
    $50 ($45 with autopay) - Data throttled to 3 Mbps + int'l text + roaming in Canada, Mexico, selected Europe + 200 min of international talk
    $60 ($55 with autopay) - Data throttled to 8 Mbps + int'l text + roaming in Canada, Mexico, selected Europe + 1000 min international talk

>22GB data usage congestion policy
    $10 - 1GB of high speed data (speed throttled to 8 mbps + hotspot(only allows 1GB each refill))
    Have we seen any evidence that other carriers are moving to price everything only based on speed?

The reality is that most people don't have any use for UNLIMITED data. I'd say the majority of users use their 1GB, 2GB per month, whatever it is, yet want fast connection and pings. So under your plan all of those users are forced to pay huge monthly bills just to get normal speedy connection on the 1GB per month that they sip? Or if they want to save money they need to crawl along at 512kbps?

All I can say is that plan is totally F^CK&D and if the industry moves in that direction I will NOT be happy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Have we seen any evidence that other carriers are moving to price everything only based on speed?

The reality is that most people don't have any use for UNLIMITED data. I'd say the majority of users use their 1GB, 2GB per month, whatever it is, yet want fast connection and pings. So under your plan all of those users are forced to pay huge monthly bills just to get normal speedy connection on the 1GB per month that they sip? Or if they want to save money they need to crawl along at 512kbps?

All I can say is that plan is totally F^CK&D and if the industry moves in that direction I will NOT be happy
    I think as more and more people "cut the cord" (like I did nearly a year ago*) and steam TV, movies, music, etc. over their mobile devices, "unlimited" in whatever iteration that finally ends up being, will become the norm.

There's are several reasons why the four major U.S. carriers have come out with "unlimited" plans; one of them is the direction mobile data usage is headed in.

*Most data I've used in a month was ~45 GB; otherwise, I'm around 35 GB/month.

Feedback Score
    With the push for 5G LTE already being tested for both mobile and as an ISP provider, it's just around the corner in maybe a year or so. I would think we would see discounted rates, higher data caps and and competing among carriers. Seems to be just opposite at this time.

Feedback Score
    Well right now it is totally messed up. The gophone unlimited plan is worse than the cricket one, which makes no sense.
    They ~should~ have structured it this way:

At&T postpaid: unlimited, fastest data speed
    gophone: slower than postpaid, but faster than cricket
    cricket: slowest, but still 8Mbs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Well right now it is totally messed up. The gophone unlimited plan is worse than the cricket one, which makes no sense.
    They ~should~ have structured it this way:

At&T postpaid: unlimited, fastest data speed
    gophone: slower than postpaid, but faster than cricket
    cricket: slowest, but still 8Mbs
    Maybe there really isn't that much overlap or cross-shopping between Cricket and GoPhone. I know all of us HoFo Cell Nerds know every intimate detail between the two, but I am guessing that much of the customer base doesn't see them as directly comparable options. Many probably don't know that Cricket is even owned by AT&T. So GoPhone is retained as a choice to grab AT&T postpaid customers who might be sniffing around that they want to move to prepaid model but they don't really want to do all the work, or take the perceived risk, to dive into the morasse of real MVNOs. Thus they can't make GoPhone TOO GOOD because more postpaid customers will wonder why they should stick with postpaid. Cricket is probably not even in the mind of many prospective GoPhone customers. It is attracting from the true downmarket prepaid customer, with its little storefronts all over the blue collar and lower class neighborhoods. It is going head to head with Boost Mobile etc. That has got to be the reason why AT&T preserves both Cricket and GoPhone, because there probably isn't much overlap or cannibalization between the two customer groups.

As always, extrapolating based on the knowledge and choice profile of HoFo'ers is going to be error prone. Most people don't spend 1/1000th of the time that people on here do thinking about their cellphone choices.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Really? What point does idle speculation serve?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Really? What point does idle speculation serve?
    fo·rum
    a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    It makes total sense if you don't buy into the ”GoPhone is the premium prepaid and Cricket is the budget prepaid service” theory. I have no access to inside information, but don't think that's how AT&T sees it.

GoPhone was created back in the day when prepaid catered to low usage, transient wireless users, who paid by the minute via refill cards that could be purchased at the corner gas station. Aio (renamed Cricket) was Prepaid 2.0, a ”start with a clean sheet” approach, that recognized the changing customer profile and evolving usage patterns. That's why they launched with only unlimited plans, and why for the first half of their 4 year existence, customers couldn't establish service without a bank card and computer access. Only because of fortuitous events (the acquisition from Leap) were they able to quickly increase their storefronts. Even to this day, a significant percentage of its customers order online. I wouldn't be surprised if the socioeconomic, usage, and tech knowledge profile of the Cricket customer was higher than GoPhone.

Proxy servers and speed caps weren't intended to differentiate between GoPhone and Cricket by creating levels of prepaid service. They were simply vestiges of expedited implementation or extended marketing tests.

I think pricing based on speed tiers is the path of the future, as I've said here several times over the past few years. But in the nearer term, I predict Cricket will lower the price of its unlimited plan to $50. GoPhone will lose customers to both postpaid and Cricket. MVNOs will start offering unlimited plans for $40. Verizon will have a huge increase in net adds during the second quarter of this year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast