Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest unlimited talk/text (no data) plan for CDMA (Verizon) basic phone?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question Cheapest unlimited talk/text (no data) plan for CDMA (Verizon) basic phone?

Hi all

One of my kids has a basic phone (LG Cosmos 3) which is currently on a Verizon plan for $30/mo. I'm wondering if there's any way I can get that cost down. This is the only phone which is on Verizon (because AT&T which the rest of us use doesn't have a good signal where the Verizon phone is being used) in our household.

The plan could have NO data as that isn't used, but must have unlimited talk/text (this is my kid who likes to socialize...).

Is there any other reliable options I can check into? I've used several MVNOs in the past (including PagePlus), so I know something of what it takes, but I'm not sure of the current field of options.

Feedback Score
    If you're willing to get a Sprint phone you can use Twigby for $15/month that includes unlimited talk and text. Twigby can roam on Verizon's network.

Tello would also work, costing $15 for unlimited talk and $3 for unlimited text. Tello has no roaming.

Device(s)
    LG G2 VS980
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket eBay Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by momefarley View Post
    Hi all

One of my kids has a basic phone (LG Cosmos 3) which is currently on a Verizon plan for $30/mo. I'm wondering if there's any way I can get that cost down. This is the only phone which is on Verizon (because AT&T which the rest of us use doesn't have a good signal where the Verizon phone is being used) in our household.

The plan could have NO data as that isn't used, but must have unlimited talk/text (this is my kid who likes to socialize...).

Is there any other reliable options I can check into? I've used several MVNOs in the past (including PagePlus), so I know something of what it takes, but I'm not sure of the current field of options.
    Boom Mobile, using the Vzw network (v), has a $19.99/mo UT&T+No Data plan for 3G phones that might be a good fit. Strangely, if it were a 4G phone, this plan would come with 250MB of data.

Boom Mobile, using the Vzw network (v), also has a $24.99/mo UT&T+500MB plan for 3G phones, which would be better if MMS is used, because MMS requires cellular data. If it were a 4G phone, this plan would come with 1GB of data.

Feedback Score
    Hi all

I think your best bet would be Boom with their 3G Unlimited Text & Talk with no data for $20 / total. They charge no taxes or other fees, their Autopay works wonderfully, they have US based support that is really good and they use Verizon's PostPaid network which means they have free roaming. I have one account on this plan and another on their 4G $20 plan. These folks have been in the telecommunications business for over 20 years and know the value of a customer and how to keep them happy.

Sorry Boz1 - you type faster than I do.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Will the boom plan work on a flip phone with no sim card?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Chart of talk & text only prepaid providers: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...ice-plans.html

Feedback Score
    Hi all

Maybe if he or she is a good kid Daddy might think of picking them up a $37.99 Verizon Prepaid Moto G4 Play at Bestbuy and getting it unlocked for 2 bucks.

Device(s)
    LG G2 VS980
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket eBay Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Yes, on the plans noted as 3G.

Device(s)
    LG G2 VS980
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket eBay Plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Maybe if he or she is a good kid Daddy might think of picking them up a $37.99 Verizon Prepaid Moto G4 Play at Bestbuy and getting it unlocked for 2 bucks.
    There are reports of that no longer being an available option. Do some research before considering this.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not changing the phone this school year. This is a slide phone with a full QWERTY keyboard which makes switching back and forth to iPhone on breaks much easier.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    There are reports of that no longer being an available option. Do some research before considering this.
    Still doable but you need to move an activated VZ SIM to make it work. Not doable from scratch as w/o the ransom the phone is not whitelisted. Probably not recommended anyway for the long term in case BIG RED is able to determine these situations and drops the hammer making the service inoperable.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    It can on the 3G plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    Still doable but you need to move an activated VZ SIM to make it work. Not doable from scratch as w/o the ransom the phone is not whitelisted. Probably not recommended anyway for the long term in case BIG RED is able to determine these situations and drops the hammer making the service inoperable.
    What kind of activated VZ SIM?

And if successfully unlocked, who can the G4 Play be used with?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    Chart of talk & text only prepaid providers: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...ice-plans.html
    Twigby is the only one on that list that has unlimited talk/text AND works with Verizon phones ($15/mo + tax). Is it a reliable service??

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    My kid has an iPhone to use when at home. No smartphones allowed where they currently are. So discussion of this option isn't helpful to me (though might be to other readers).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast