Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Prepaid Moto G4 Play

Feedback Score

Verizon Prepaid Moto G4 Play

Anyone using a Verizon Prepaid G4 Play on PP after unlocking??? Can it be used on Pay-go or is that still for 3G devices only. I just got a couple Plays really cheap and was just wondering what to do with them.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Anyone using a Verizon Prepaid G4 Play on PP after unlocking??? Can it be used on Pay-go or is that still for 3G devices only. I just got a couple Plays really cheap and was just wondering what to do with them.
    Even if you can get it unlocked so that you can swap in an already active SIM card, it still won't work on a PPC 3G only plan. This is for certain.
    ==========
    There are reports that it is getting increasingly hard to find an unlock code for these Vzw prepaid Moto G 4 Play phones.

But if you can find an unlock code, the only thing that can be done with the Vzw prepaid Moto G 4 Play phones, besides using it as a WiFi device, is to possibly swap in an already activated SIM card. There are reports that Vzw might be somehow putting an end to swapping in an already active SIM card on the Vzw prepaid Moto G 4 Play phones.

The above is speculation based on what I've read, and may or may not be true.

If any of the above matters to you, do some additional research to see if you can find out what is or isn't true.

Feedback Score
    I did get one unlocked with a $2.00 ebay code the other day and will try my brothers Total Wireless sim when I get a chance. Of course my Cricket and H2o sims worked fine for LTE but no voice is kind of a problem.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I did get one unlocked with a $2.00 ebay code the other day and will try my brothers Total Wireless sim when I get a chance. Of course my Cricket and H2o sims worked fine for LTE but no voice is kind of a problem.
    Was it from http://www.ebay.com/itm/221936302683 ?

The above eBay listing states:
    For the Verizon version of Prepaid Moto G4 Play, the phone has to be activated with a Verizon Prepaid SIM for 30 days before the voice call can work. Otherwise, just the text and data plan will work.

So it will be interesting to see what happens when you put in the TW SIM card, to see if that eBay listing is right or wrong. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Yup, that's the unlock service I used. If ya look at the reviews on the bottom of that link, someone slipped in a TW sim right after unlocking and voice worked. They did not have to activate it with a Verizon Prepaid sim for 30 days. Is it even possible for Verizon to add a voice restriction to a phone???? It is pretty sneaky how they disabled the GSM voice bands on this phone but ya really can't blame them for protecting their interests. Maybe the guys at XDA will figure out a way to enable them but it's not looking good.

Feedback Score
    OK, just read about the 30 day thing. I'm gonna have my brother use this phone for a month on his Verizon Prepaid account and then try my Cricket sim again to see if I get voice. Will be awesome if it works!!!!! I hope the fact that this Play is already unlocked doesn't make a difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    ........ There are reports that Vzw might be somehow putting an end to swapping in an already active SIM card on the Vzw prepaid Moto G 4 Play phones.

The above is speculation based on what I've read, and may or may not be true.

The low price suggests to me that Verizon is heavily subsidizing the phone and therefore is likely to increase policing.

In fact, the whole reason behind the (rumored) crackdown may be to allow Verizon to subsidize prepaid phones to a greater degree.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    OK, just read about the 30 day thing. I'm gonna have my brother use this phone for a month on his Verizon Prepaid account and then try my Cricket sim again to see if I get voice. Will be awesome if it works!!!!! I hope the fact that this Play is already unlocked doesn't make a difference.
    I don't think Verizon would know if it's unlocked since it's done without communication to the Verizon network.

Since you know someone who uses Verizon Prepaid already, I think you can activate it on his account and get it unlocked and whitelisted. Make sure that you activate the SIM that comes with the phone and have his account switched over to that SIM. Then see if it's whitelisted by checking at these sites:
    https://www.pagepluscellular.com/act...ew-activation/
    http://get.tracfone.com/bring-your-own-phone/

and at Verizon: https://www.verizonwireless.com/promos/device-trade-in/
    My understanding is that it will give a value if it's whitelisted for postpaid and MVNOs.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Was it from http://www.ebay.com/itm/221936302683 ?

The above eBay listing states:
    For the Verizon version of Prepaid Moto G4 Play, the phone has to be activated with a Verizon Prepaid SIM for 30 days before the voice call can work. Otherwise, just the text and data plan will work.

So it will be interesting to see what happens when you put in the TW SIM card, to see if that eBay listing is right or wrong. Thanks!
    That's the same seller I used. No problem unlocking, but I haven't used them yet other than to check for service with a Tracfone CDMAV SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    The low price suggests to me that Verizon is heavily subsidizing the phone and therefore is likely to increase policing.

In fact, the whole reason behind the (rumored) crackdown may be to allow Verizon to subsidize prepaid phones to a greater degree.
    I think they (Verizon) are sadly mistaken if they think this will stop people from buying and not using on Verizon. If people can't use it on another cellular service, they will just use it as a WiFi device. There are lots of uses for these when they're only $10, $20, $30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I don't think Verizon would know if it's unlocked since it's done without communication to the Verizon network.

Since you know someone who uses Verizon Prepaid already, I think you can activate it on his account and get it unlocked and whitelisted. Make sure that you activate the SIM that comes with the phone and have his account switched over to that SIM. Then see if it's whitelisted by checking at these sites:
    https://www.pagepluscellular.com/act...ew-activation/
    http://get.tracfone.com/bring-your-own-phone/

My understanding is that it will give a value if it's whitelisted for postpaid and MVNOs.
    Crap!!! Didn't think about the sim situation. I picked up three G4 Plays and was planing on my brother and his wife just putting their current Verizon Prepaid sims in two of them. They are upgrading from Moto E's. Are you saying that these Plays will never be white listed if they use their current sims?????

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Crap!!! Didn't think about the sim situation. I picked up three G4 Plays and was planing on my brother and his wife just putting their current Verizon Prepaid sims in two of them. They are upgrading from Moto E's. Are you saying that these Plays will never be white listed if they use their current sims?????
    That's my understanding. You can ask on the Verizon Prepaid forum for information from those who have done it. I remember others saying they had Verizon CS switch them over to the new phone with the SIM that came with it.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So the vzw version of this phone comes sim locked to verizon wireless??

I'd spend the extra money and get the carrier unbranded/unlocked version (xt1607). Can be used with any sim card/carrier, can be boot loader unlocked, rooted. With all the new rules verizon is imposing, it's no wonder they're practically giving this thing away. They make up for it on the back end by forcing you to use their service.

Edit, looking at specs, it appears to be severely limited - only bands 2, 4, 5, 13 are supported. Unclear if any gsm or hspa bands are even supported. Looks like a vzw only device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    So the vzw version of this phone comes sim locked to verizon wireless??

I'd spend the extra money and get the carrier unbranded/unlocked version (xt1607). Can be used with any sim card/carrier, can be boot loader unlocked, rooted. With all the new rules verizon is imposing, it's no wonder they're practically giving this thing away. They make up for it on the back end by forcing you to use their service.

Edit, looking at specs, it appears to be severely limited - only bands 2, 4, 5, 13 are supported. Unclear if any gsm or hspa bands are even supported. Looks like a vzw only device.
    That's correct it is SIM locked and it does not support any GSM or HSPA/UMTS bands. It is likely restricted to Verizon only CDMA and LTE bands through firmware and since it's bootloader cannot be unlocked, there has been no exploit found.

However, for use on a Verizon MVNO, like P+, Boom, Tracfone, etc., it was a good option. The cheapest I've seen for the XT1607 has been $90 at B&H on Cyber Monday for 6 hours from midnight to 6 AM EST and raised to $100 that day and again recently. The cheapest for the XT1609 has been $35 from Best Buy on Cyber Monday and $30 from Dollar General around that time and recently for $38 from Best Buy and $20 (plus airtime card purchase) from Meijer.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Here is more info on checking for a whitelisted IMEI on Verizon:

https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpo...&postcount=195

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Can you let us know if you get the phones whitelisted and if so, how you got it done?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast