Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Really slow data in Band 12 only areas

Feedback Score

Really slow data in Band 12 only areas

I've had T-Mobile for about a month now as my primary phone. At my house I am too far from the tower for band 4 to hit my location so I am stuck on Band 12 only. I have noticed speeds dropping steadily for the last couple of weeks. It is now to a point that most of the time I get <1Mb/s down and about .03Mb/s up. I can make calls on LTE no problem.
    I've also noticed that when I am in other Band 12 only areas that the speeds are almost unusable. I really like T-Mobile as a company, but I can't stand these slow speeds. Considering AT&T unlimited postpaid. I get good speed and good signal from them using a GoPhone SIM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can you not connect to WiFi if it's just at home where the problem is?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    Can you not connect to WiFi if it's just at home where the problem is?
    Sure I can connect to wifi at home but I pay for an unlimited plan and would like to use that data anywhere I like. But it's also not just at home as I stated in my first post. Was wondering if other people have seen really slow data in band 12 only areas.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    How much data have you used? You sound deprioritized

Sent from my VS995 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    Sure I can connect to wifi at home but I pay for an unlimited plan and would like to use that data anywhere I like. But it's also not just at home as I stated in my first post. Was wondering if other people have seen really slow data in band 12 only areas.
    T-Mobile Band 12 is 5x5 if many people are on the same tower and on Band 12 that explains why you're experiencing slow speeds.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I really haven't had much issue with speeds when using B12 in Colorado, Missouri, or Kansas. Usually the only time I have issues with speed is near the edge of the cell. It sounds like you live near the edge of a cell and travel along the edges of the current cell network. Some general location information would help.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you are in a rural area that is primarily band 12, your speeds will be poor quite often, as capacity is 5x5 or about 30Mbps / 7Mbps under ideal conditions. Typical is probably 1-5Mbps with weak signal, and less depending on how many others are sharing the same spectrum.

Sent from my XT1575 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6 64GB, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Really that hard to turn wifi on? Check you usage if you are over now 30 GB you will be sucking through a straw, unlimited means data but you will be put in lowest COS and in fringe locations that could be a prob. I assume you know that none of these unlimited plans are FULL speed unlimited? Also TMO has been signing up lots of people and well sooner or later congestion is going to be a bummer...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Been having a lot of issues with B12 here in my building at work. I get two bars, but only 0.76M/0.45M, and that's at 6AM. Once everyone else starts coming online and using the spectrum, I can't even check email.

Tried an iPhone 6s, my Moto G4, etc. I've had two tickets open with T-Mobile. They didn't even respond to the last one. Seriously think it's a bandwidth issue just on B12, because if I go a block or so down and start picking up B4, I can get slightly better speeds (more like 5M down and 4M up.)
    - acadiel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    Been having a lot of issues with B12 here in my building at work. I get two bars, but only 0.76M/0.45M, and that's at 6AM. Once everyone else starts coming online and using the spectrum, I can't even check email.

Tried an iPhone 6s, my Moto G4, etc. I've had two tickets open with T-Mobile. They didn't even respond to the last one. Seriously think it's a bandwidth issue just on B12, because if I go a block or so down and start picking up B4, I can get slightly better speeds (more like 5M down and 4M up.)
    Um yeah you're only on a 5x5 block

Feedback Score
    I have same problem too. I just signed up two weeks ago and internet speeds are very slow. I am also seeing call drops on band 12 where poor signal is there

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post

Seems like that's the problem. Band 12 has very limited bandwidth. There is a T-Mobile tower about a mile from my house but because of some hills and woods, only band 12 makes it to my house. If I go outside and catch band 4, I get much better speeds.
    Guess I will just have to use wifi when I'm at home unless T-Mobile densifies around here.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    In the vast majority of markets T-Mobile's band-12 holdings are only 6x6, which allows only a 5x5 LTE signal. That allows only about 5-6 Mbps total download for all users on each 700 MHz sector. The more people who adopt an "I'm paying for unlimited" attitude the worse the situation will become. There are only two alternatives for T-Mobile: 1) build more mid-band towers in rural areas and/or 2) wait for 600 MHz (band 71?) to become available (which may be years away).

BTW, does your phone have CA (Carrier Aggregation)? Your phone may be able to use mid-band for download with CA even if it can't connect via mid-band for upload.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is what they've been telling me for the past couple months:

"I apologize for the delay, but thanks a lot for your patience while I researched this for you. Your work location where the ticket was filed is actually on a cell site where there is some traffic congestion. However, this is only temporary. Our engineers are actually in the middle of improving two nearby towers right now which may cause some congestion in the meantime. I hope this helps clear up some of the coverage concerns that you are currently experiencing while at work."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    In the vast majority of markets T-Mobile's band-12 holdings are only 6x6, which allows only a 5x5 LTE signal. That allows only about 5-6 Mbps total download for all users on each 700 MHz sector. The more people who adopt an "I'm paying for unlimited" attitude the worse the situation will become. There are only two alternatives for T-Mobile: 1) build more mid-band towers in rural areas and/or 2) wait for 600 MHz (band 71?) to become available (which may be years away).

BTW, does your phone have CA (Carrier Aggregation)? Your phone may be able to use mid-band for download with CA even if it can't connect via mid-band for upload.
    First I don't have that "I'm paying for unlimited" mentality. I just meant that if I don't want to always turn on wifi at home, I should be able to use cellular data for some things.
    Second, I am using an iPhone 6s+ which has CA but I'm not sure that CA is enabled on this tower or that mid-band is on the tower. When in Eng. mode, I only see either band 4 or band 12. With an iPhone, how would I know CA is working, which seems like it is not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast