Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with WHPI/hotspot decisions please

Feedback Score

Need help with WHPI/hotspot decisions please

Hello, new here. I read all 55 pages of the thread about this, but wondering if I could get some more assistance for what's best for my needs. 😀

Briefly--I have AT&T, 2 phone lines and 2 tablets on unlimited plus. We have no internet availability at our house. We've never seen any slow downs on our devices, and one of them frequently goes over 100gb a month. I was all on board for the WHPI at $60 per month, but since they're back ordered at least a month, I started researching. Also, some CSR's when I called said the plan Is already discontinued? (I'm in a target area)

Should I try the hotspot? Which one? Or wait for the WHPI? We would love to finally be able to stream tv. Do I need routers, antennas? We have a pretty good signal in our home for AT&T. (For the record, we're a dead zone for every other carrier)

Trying to figure out the best deal for my money, and also the best way to *finally* have internet in my house. Thanks for all your help!

Feedback Score
    Wouldn't it be better as to just
    Use the hotspot Feature on your phone. At least you wouldn't have
    To buy any more equipment

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Wouldn't it be better as to just
    Use the hotspot Feature on your phone. At least you wouldn't have
    To buy any more equipment
    Hotspot on phone is only guaranteed up to 10gb at high speed. After that it will be slowed. There are some people stating they have not been slowed after exceeding the 10gb threshold but no telling if it is just a short term fluke or will continue to be the case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatie80 View Post
    Hello, new here. I read all 55 pages of the thread about this, but wondering if I could get some more assistance for what's best for my needs. 😀

Briefly--I have AT&T, 2 phone lines and 2 tablets on unlimited plus. We have no internet availability at our house. We've never seen any slow downs on our devices, and one of them frequently goes over 100gb a month. I was all on board for the WHPI at $60 per month, but since they're back ordered at least a month, I started researching. Also, some CSR's when I called said the plan Is already discontinued? (I'm in a target area)

Should I try the hotspot? Which one? Or wait for the WHPI? We would love to finally be able to stream tv. Do I need routers, antennas? We have a pretty good signal in our home for AT&T. (For the record, we're a dead zone for every other carrier)

Trying to figure out the best deal for my money, and also the best way to *finally* have internet in my house. Thanks for all your help!
    Just an FYI I have seen some few refurbished whpi units on ebay for under 40 dollars. Not sure a out warranty or anything like that but it may be worth looking into. I am personally using the Mobley set up for my house only because it is on contract and at the time there were not any other feasible options. So I am not sure about wifi range on the whpi unit and the assorted hotspot units.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I got one of those refurbs on eBay for $25. Came with a new sim still in the credit card holder. When I tried to activate the 250gb plan with it their system didn't recognize the imei and so I just got a free new one under contract. The ebay unit looked brand new, in an ATT box and the charger, etc.were included.

Others seem to have had success getting the refurbs activated through a higher level of support. I didn't want to press my luck though as it was hard enough to get the plan as it was.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatie80 View Post
    Are you referring to the 250GB/500GB special that AT&T ran in certain areas?

If you already have the AT&T Unlimited Plus Plan, then I don't really see how these 250GB/500GB plans are any better. The cheapest of those plans, the 250GB is $60 (and then is it + $20 for voice, meaning $80 total?). You can add a hotspot or a WHPI device to your unlimited plan for an extra $20/mo.

The way I understand those 250GB/500GB they are always deprioritized. If that's the case, then there's no real advantage over the Unlimited Plus. With Unlimited Plus you don't get deprioritized until you hit 22GB.

If you're not an AT&T customer or don't already have the Unlimited Plus Plan, then signing up for a single device - hotspot or WHPI device - would be $90/mo. That's cheaper than the 500GB (which was $100, but again the question is do you have to add voice at $20 meaning $120/mo?) rural internet plan is and is essentially the same thing, except it's offered to everyone.

The only advantage the rural internet offerings have is at the 250GB level for someone that doesn't have AT&T or doesn't have the AT&T unlimited plus plan. If they live in that target area, they could get the 250GB for $60 (or $80?) which is cheaper than going out and buying the Unlimited Plus plan for a single line at $90/mo.

At least that's the way I understand it, perhaps others have another view.

Feedback Score
    250gb whpi plan...$40 for data plus $20 for phone. The phone service is mandatory so I suppose if you're not using it your cost would be $60 for data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coldknob View Post
    250gb whpi plan...$40 for data plus $20 for phone. The phone service is mandatory so I suppose if you're not using it your cost would be $60 for data.
    Aw, OK. Thanks for clearing that up.

So I guess if you are in an area than can get the 250GB rural internet offer AND you don't have AT&T Unlimited Plus, then this 250GB option is the cheaper option.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Since you already have att any way I would just get the unite explore hotspot device. I have 2 of them and they work great! With those it's very easy to add external antennas if you need better signal and you can get an Asus router like the ac1900 and put the hotspot into tether mode and use the router for hardwire and wireless.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    I've considered trying to change to the unlimited for $90 because I could use the $25 Directv discount to bring my bill to $65 but I'm going to wait a few months to see how everything works out.

As for deprioritization, these plans are so new and seemingly rushed I don't think anyone knows yet how ATT is going to handle the congestion which seems inevitable, at least in some areas. To me, a set amount of Data (which is sufficient for my needs), seems more secure than some vague "unlimited". But who really knows.

Feedback Score
    I do have unlimited plus, so it seems to me the best route is the stand alone hotspot.

All told, I'll be able to have my 4 devices plus this hotspot right around what I was paying under the old directv unlimited plan, plus saving $25 on directv. It might not be the "cord cutting" solution I wanted but hopefully the hotspot works as well as our phones/tablets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coldknob View Post

As for deprioritization, these plans are so new and seemingly rushed I don't think anyone knows yet how ATT is going to handle the congestion which seems inevitable, at least in some areas. To me, a set amount of Data (which is sufficient for my needs), seems more secure than some vague "unlimited". But who really knows.
    That's kinda my thoughts too, which was why I was drawn to the WHPI.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=wheatie80;16822963]That's kinda my thoughts too, which was why I was drawn to the WHPI. But I think I'll do the hotspot at least at first. Use the heck out of it in 14 days and see what happens!

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    WHPI for the win !!!! I am burning 100's of gigs of data with only minor evening slowdowns

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ROLLTIDE View Post
    WHPI for the win !!!! I am burning 100's of gigs of data with only minor evening slowdowns
    Do you have at&t unlimited plus as well?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast