Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strange SD problem with LGL41C

Feedback Score

Strange SD problem with LGL41C

I hope someone has an idea of what is going on with my LG phone. Yesterday I got a notice from the phone that my SD card had been removed and then inserted and warned me of having data corruption. Today every time I turn on the phone I see on the top left corner that the SD card has been removed, then I see that it has been installed. Should I actually remove it and push in back in for real? Maybe it has come loose somehow, or is the card going bad? Is it time to start watching the HSN deals for a new phone?

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a bad connection. Some say to clean the card contacts with a pencil eraser and reinsert.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICantHearYouNow View Post
    I hope someone has an idea of what is going on with my LG phone. Yesterday I got a notice from the phone that my SD card had been removed and then inserted and warned me of having data corruption. Today every time I turn on the phone I see on the top left corner that the SD card has been removed, then I see that it has been installed. Should I actually remove it and push in back in for real? Maybe it has come loose somehow, or is the card going bad? Is it time to start watching the HSN deals for a new phone?
    It sounds like the card has been corrupted or has become defective. The phone checks the SD card at startup and may mount/dismount it if it can't read it properly. Is there anything important on the card? Have you moved any apps to the card? If the card has become corrupted, using the phone to reformat it may solve the problem, but, you will lose anything on the card. If you have a PC with a card reader, you can try to copy your data files to the PC before formatting the card. If you have moved apps to the card, try moving them back to the phone before formatting it.

You could try removing the card and cleaning the contacts as @loboheeler suggests.

Feedback Score
    I'm seeing similar problems with my two recently purchased LG L33L Sunset phones from HSN. I'm not done investigating the problem yet, but the problem occurs with 8GB and 32GB cards I've tried, and does NOT occur with 4GB cards. The 8GB and 32GB cards work fine in my other phones.

Could this be a possible address bus problem? We'll see as I investigate further...

Feedback Score
    I decided to remove the card and clean the contacts. I have a DeoxIT ProGold Kit so I cleaned the contacts with it and the battery contacts too while I was doing this minor maintenance. I turned the phone on and it started as usual with no warning messages this time. I will continue to turn the phone off and on. If I have the problem again I shall report it on this thread. Hopefully it was just some oxidation on the SD card and nothing major. I've had the phone since it first came out and has been very reliable for me. But now I am wondering if there is a way to test the SD card. Does anyone know of an app for doing just that? I need to backup my photos, since there is nothing else of value on the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steiny180 View Post
    I'm seeing similar problems with my two recently purchased LG L33L Sunset phones from HSN. I'm not done investigating the problem yet, but the problem occurs with 8GB and 32GB cards I've tried, and does NOT occur with 4GB cards. The 8GB and 32GB cards work fine in my other phones.

Could this be a possible address bus problem? We'll see as I investigate further...
    The phone should support a 32gb card according to LG website. Have you tried erasing/formatting the cards using the phone's Storage Manager in Settings?

Feedback Score
    I decided to remove the card and clean the contacts. I have a DeoxIT ProGold Kit so I cleaned the contacts with it and the battery contacts too while I was doing this minor maintenance. I turned the phone on and it started as usual with no warning messages this time. I will continue to turn the phone off and on. If I have the problem again I shall report it on this thread. Hopefully it was just some oxidation on the SD card and nothing major. I've had the phone since it first came out and has been very reliable for me. But now I am wondering if there is a way to test the SD card. Does anyone know of an app for doing just that? I need to backup my photos, since there is nothing else of value on the phone.
    H2testw is a widely used sd card tester for the PC. There are a number of apps on the PlayStore but I don't have experience with any of them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    The phone should support a 32gb card according to LG website. Have you tried erasing/formatting the cards using the phone's Storage Manager in Settings?
    I have not done that, but I just got a message that the SD card was removed again. Looks like I still have a problem. I will move the photos later and check to see if I moved any apps to the SD card tomorrow, I just don't feel like doing it right now. I found H2testw and downloaded it and will use the program to test it. I read the readme file and will do as it says.

Feedback Score
    What is the name of the SD card ??
    Could be a bad/fake SD card
    Or a defect in the phone.

Feedback Score
    My LG U2 used to do that. I just went into settings and clicked remount SD card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    What is the name of the SD card ??
    Could be a bad/fake SD card
    Or a defect in the phone.
    The SD card is a SanDisk. I bought is at either Best Buy or Amazon. I bought the card and the phone over 2 years ago or so. Fake, broke, I don't know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eohippus View Post
    My LG U2 used to do that. I just went into settings and clicked remount SD card.
    I tried to do that a few minutes ago and it did not even see my SD card. I could not mount it or format it. I put it in my PC and all I see are Android files, nothing else. No apps or pictures. I wonder if I can just remove the card since I don't even use it for anything. Don't know where the files came from. I'll keep it in for the moment.

Feedback Score
    I tried to do that a few minutes ago and it did not even see my SD card. I could not mount it or format it. I put it in my PC and all I see are Android files, nothing else. No apps or pictures. I wonder if I can just remove the card since I don't even use it for anything. Don't know where the files came from. I'll keep it in for the moment.
    As long as you didn't move any apps to the sd card, you don't have to use an SD card. If you do have some moved to sd card, uninstall and reinstall them to the phone as long as you have room.

You can format the card with your PC and then run the H2testw program.

Feedback Score
    Since your PC sees the SD card, you don't need to format it. Just run h2testw write/verify on the entire unused section after you first backup your files to your PC just in case.

I run h2testw on any microSD I buy before using it, just to eliminate the possibility of it being a fake or defective.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Since your PC sees the SD card, you don't need to format it. Just run h2testw write/verify on the entire unused section after you first backup your files to your PC just in case.

I run h2testw on any microSD I buy before using it, just to eliminate the possibility of it being a fake or defective.
    OP said there were pictures on the card that the PC didn't show...sounds like a problem to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast