Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: anybody have Freedompop?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

anybody have Freedompop?

I want to know who has freedompop here? if so how do you rate it overall? customer service, signal, ect.... also if you are willing and if it isn't breaking the rules here, would you like to become freedom friends?

customer service isn't that good to me if I was at least on the 500MB plan it may be better but so far it has been the only way that I can get AT&T Data/signal for less than $20/month as all other services and companies except the free 200MB Freedompop ATT plan and $12.99/month 500MB ATT freedompop plans are too expensive and some give me way too much GB of data for only emergencies (2GB and even sometimes 4GB!) and adding a mifi to my current plan on Verizon won't get me ATT signal and is still $20 before taxes....

Device(s)
    Moto G4
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Just go here for a list of friends to use.

https://slickdeals.net/f/5276432-freedompop-friends

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    That slick deals thread is dead, I had better luck with a tread on the freedom pop forum.
    I have for one of my kids freedompop SIM card. First, the customer service is way above the average. You just can't expect to reach them by phone (if you are on the free plans), use their forum (or the facebook / twitter but I refuse to use those).
    Signal on the "International Plans" is 3G, in US uses ATT and TMobile network, and it worked in EU too. But the way the cell technology evolves, carriers are neglecting the 3G network to favor LTE. They even actively disconnect 3G radios to refarm that for LTE.
    The Domestic LTE plan is better, uses only ATT towers (but they are fine as coverage).
    Now, the "free plan" is worthless without "friends". You need to stay below 100kB of the max data usage or you will get changed $15 for a new 1GB. Or you can cancel the autopay if you pay them a $5 "deposit".
    I am on the $12.99 plan that gives 500MB, I get 500MB from friends (the max) and if you care for more you can get other 5 cards (they are $1 now), with 5 different email addresses, you can friend yourself and get 100MB from each to your main SIM for another 500MB.

Device(s)
    Moto G4
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    That slick deals thread is dead
    It's still alive. People are still actively adding names.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Before the LTE sim I would say stay away. But if you know how to get friends and not get charged then the free account is ok.
    Join Cricket Wireless (same AT&T signal) and get $25 in credit! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    That slick deals thread is dead
    Nope; incorrect; that thread is not dead at all. (The list might be dead, but the thread is extremely active.)

Just mosey to the last page of the thread on any given day and you will find a dozen posts from folks wanting to be friends in the past 24 hours. Copy-paste those emails individually into the friends field in your FP account and you are good to go. That is what I have always done, and what I did barely a month ago. I just checked the thread moments ago and the most recent "friend me" post was made 7 hours ago...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Before the LTE sim I would say stay away.
    Nah; I've been using FP since the WiMAX days with no problem at all. I've gone through various WiMAX devices (Freedom Sleeve; USB dongle; hotspot), dedicated phones (BYOP Volt), GSM SIMS and most recently LTE SIM. I've never paid a dime for "plans"/"services". Many of the devices I got free, or for a penny, or for a dollar...

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I want to know who has freedompop here? if so how do you rate it overall? customer service, signal, ect.... also if you are willing and if it isn't breaking the rules here, would you like to become freedom friends?

customer service isn't that good to me if I was at least on the 500MB plan it may be better but so far it has been the only way that I can get AT&T Data/signal for less than $20/month as all other services and companies except the free 200MB Freedompop ATT plan and $12.99/month 500MB ATT freedompop plans are too expensive and some give me way too much GB of data for only emergencies (2GB and even sometimes 4GB!) and adding a mifi to my current plan on Verizon won't get me ATT signal and is still $20 before taxes....
    All you have to do is scroll down in this HoFo forum to see many FP threads!

I have used a FP AT&T LTE SIM for about a month and FP Global SIM for about 7 months. I have 6 accounts with a total of 8 SIMs. Both have worked flawlessly for me.

I started testing the FP AT&T LTE SIM about 2 weeks ago on a LG Phoenix 2 that I got for $30 around Black Friday, 2016. So far, it is working perfectly for me. After adding Freedom Friends, I get 700MB by doing nothing. I'm planning on gifting another 500MB/mo from my other FP accounts, for a total of 1,200MB/mo, which should be plenty for my normal usage. I'm using Hangouts for both voice and texts, and I'm very happy with the performance of the FP AT&T LTE SIM. If it continues to perform as it has, it will probably become my primary service. Ironically, my beloved and trusted LG G2 VS980, which I'm using with the Red Pocket eBay Annual Plan that expires 5/18/17, started having dead spots on the touch screen just a few days ago, so I may be retiring my G2 and Red Pocket within the next 2 months if the combo of FP AT&T LTE SIM / LG Phoenix 2 / Hangouts continue to perform as well as they have so far!

I and two others in my family have used the FP Global SIM in 3 tablets for the last 7 months, including during a trip to Europe. The FP Global SIM works just fine as well, except that there was no serice in Hungary, where there should have been. But it has worked well in the US. However, since the FP AT&T LTE SIMs have become available, I'll be changing the SIMs in the tablets to those.

I hope FP can continue to grow and prosper!
    PagePlus-PayG 2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 PayG 2013-2016
    Selectel-PayG 2013-2015
    Puppy-Test 2014
    Tracfone-PayG 2015-2016
    TruPhone-PayG 2015-TBD
    Red Pocket-eBay 2016-2017
    Piranha-PayG 2016-TBD
    FreedomPop-GSM 1,200MB/Mo Free 2016-TBD

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    The Slickdeals thread wiki on the first page is dead? I used it the other day and got dozens of friends within a day or two. And more keep adding.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    The Slickdeals thread wiki on the first page is dead? I used it the other day and got dozens of friends within a day or two. And more keep adding.
    That's true. I went to slickdeals.net/f/5276432-freedompop-friends to get FP Friends for all 6 of my FP accounts so far, and got 30+ friends in a matter of hours each time. Most recently, YESTERDAY afternoon. I copy the list in the WIKI and paste to my FP account friend request tool, then add my email address to the WIKI and to a post in the thread, and the friends start rolling in. Then I remove my email address from the WIKI and the thread post. Done! I love FP!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >LG Phoenix 2 that I got for $30 around Black Friday, 2016. So far, it is working perfectly for me

@Boz1, does Phoenix 2's hotspot work for both the global SIM and LTE SIM?
    Hmmm...I don't know. I've never had any need to enable/use a mobile hotspot.

I'll try with the FP AT&T LTE SIM.

Settings>Tethering>[Enable]Mobile Hotspot: No

The message displayed was "Authentication was unsuccessful".

I don't think that's unusual using a carrier branded phone on a MVNO.

I would guess that USB tether would work using a 3rd party app, but I haven't tried.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With all the FP threads on the first page here, countless threads on sd and elsewhere, I think we're being trolled.

Feedback Score
    I have several phones and tablets with FP CDMA, Global, and LTE. It works great for data. It does not work very well for me for voice over mobile data. I would not count on it for true emergency voice calls.

I have never had a need for customer service, but for free service you can't call them. You can ask for help in their online forum.

Get Freedom Friends from the Slickdeals list others mentioned. The top of the topic that says that the service is not recommended is from ~2012. The list of emails is still active. You need ten Freedom Friends to max out the free data allowed at 500 additional MB. Get 20 or so friends in case some of your "friends" discontinue FP service. The accounts I set up have taken a few days to a week or so to get the 20 friends using the Slickdeals list.

Put something like My Data Manager on Android devices to keep track of your data use on the 30 day service cycle. Set the data limit to 150 MB less than your monthly maximum. If you get within 100 MB of your monthly maximum they will automatically charge your credit card $15 to Top Up.

Use a virtual credit card with a low $ limit to avoid nasty surprises. It has happened where children (and idiot brother-in-laws) have taken a FP device and gone off and streamed Netflix for hours resulting in hundreds of dollars of data charges. If a charge fails your account will be suspended, but you can get it back.

The service comes with 30 days of free premium services. They cost something like $20 a month if you don't opt out of them. Learn how to downgrade to truly free.

The LTE SIM works with AT&T devices like GoPhones. They don't even need to be unlocked. The Global SIM requires the device to be carrier unlocked. CDMA is a whole confusing mess of what devices work. I can try to explain if interested.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    >Settings>Tethering>[Enable]Mobile Hotspot: No

Thanks for the info. I assume that you've unlocked the phone with AT&T? Can the phone be rooted?

Edit: Quick check shows no root.

>With all the FP threads on the first page here, countless threads on sd and elsewhere, I think we're being trolled.

I think it's just the fallout from the R+ shutdown. Right around now is when Ting's freebie month is due to expire, so the R+ diaspora is still looking for a place to camp. FP is obviously a target, being a freemium.
    Yes, I got the LG Phoenix 2 unlock code from AT&T before I opened the box. But the FP AT&T LTE SIM card doesn't require unlock.

Unfortunately, no root. But it still makes an almost perfect phone to test the FP AT&T LTE SIM and Hangouts for voice.

Feedback Score
    >Settings>Tethering>[Enable]Mobile Hotspot: No

Thanks for the info. I assume that you've unlocked the phone with AT&T? Can the phone be rooted?

Edit: Quick check shows no root.
    The Phoenix 2 hotspot app does not work with FP even with the phone carrier unlocked. It phones home to ATT to see if you are authorized. It think it worked with FoxFi over USB. I looked for root methods. All I found was a method that has to be done every time the phone is restarted.

>With all the FP threads on the first page here, countless threads on sd and elsewhere, I think we're being trolled.

I think it's just the fallout from the R+ shutdown. Right around now is when Ting's freebie month is due to expire, so the R+ diaspora is still looking for a place to camp. FP is obviously a target, being a freemium.
    Yep. I put one of my Ringplus phones on FP for 99 cents. I didn't bother with taking the Ting freebies. I was tired of Rinplus' machinations. It's an old phone and the Sprint hotspot app works with FP. It got me through a 24 hour power outage recently. The other two phones went to Tello for real phone service.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast