Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: ZTE Mobley USB Tethering ASUS Router and probably others!

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
    I'm an RVer and I'll be putting the Mobley in my motorhome for a variety of reasons. I've been playing around with this (just got it two days ago), and there are a few things that are befuddling me.

I'm using the Mobley with a TP-Link MR-3040 travel router in WISP mode (have tried tethering...see below for my issue there). I'm using the 3040 as I need a hardwired ethernet device...a network thermometer that only has a hardwire port to monitor temperature in my motorhome and refrigerator when in storage (to make sure the power is one, air is running, etc.). I mention this as it's one of two reasons I'm using the 3040...it has a hardwire ethernet port, and I *may* need more than 5 devices at once (hence WISP).

• In WISP mode (3040 connected to the Mobley via wifi) I get very decent up/down speeds...in line with what I get when connected directly to the Mobley.
    • However, when I connect the Mobley to the 3040 with a USB tether (which actually surprised me that it worked) I get similar download speeds as I do in WISP, but upload speeds are maybe (at best) 20% of when connected via WISP. I don't know if this is a Mobley issue (with tethering) or a 3040 issue...any thoughts?
    • I cannot seem to get DMZ or port mapping to work (and I've done this many times with other devices)...there is no indication that it works at all. What I want to do is to be able to get to the 3040 remotely (which I've done on the 3040 in the past via WISP), and a few other devices, when the motorhome is parked. Perhaps AT&T is preventing inbound requests upstream of the Mobley?

Appreciate any thoughts...thanks in advance.
    the device is double-NAT, no public IP, you can't open ports and access. your only hope would be getting a static IP add-on and rumor is that is $500 per IP and you need to have a business account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterym View Post
    the device is double-NAT, no public IP, you can't open ports and access. your only hope would be getting a static IP add-on and rumor is that is $500 per IP and you need to have a business account.
    Thanks...double NATing would explain this. But it's irritating that the device would allow settings for something that cannot be used. I have another solution anyway that I was hoping to avoid, but it's workable.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Thanks...double NATing would explain this. But it's irritating that the device would allow settings for something that cannot be used. I have another solution anyway that I was hoping to avoid, but it's workable.
    pretty much how it is for any LTE/4G device on every carrier. the device may be capable but the network does not support. what is your workaround?

Feedback Score
    pretty much how it is for any LTE/4G device on every carrier. the device may be capable but the network does not support. what is your workaround?
    Years ago I did have one of the original ATT USB dongles that was not NATed, and I set up a server at my model aircraft club remote field with it. So much for the good old days...we now have a DSL connection at the field.

Workaround is to find a small cheap PC...laptop or something...probably have 5 of them in my garage. I can circumvent NATing by using JumpDesktop to establish/maintain an outbound connection to an intermediate server on the Internet, from which a remote connection can be established. This would give me a PC in the motorhome from which I can do ??? Essentially A 10-step solution to a 2-step problem.

I've just tested it in the house (with a 120V OBD adapter on the Mobley)...works great. JumpDesktop always tries for a direct remote-to-host connect, but falls back to their relay servers if needed.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Years ago I did have one of the original ATT USB dongles that was not NATed, and I set up a server at my model aircraft club remote field with it. So much for the good old days...we now have a DSL connection at the field.

Workaround is to find a small cheap PC...laptop or something...probably have 5 of them in my garage. I can circumvent NATing by using JumpDesktop to establish/maintain an outbound connection to an intermediate server on the Internet, from which a remote connection can be established. This would give me a PC in the motorhome from which I can do ??? Essentially A 10-step solution to a 2-step problem.

I've just tested it in the house (with a 120V OBD adapter on the Mobley)...works great. JumpDesktop always tries for a direct remote-to-host connect, but falls back to their relay servers if needed.
    ok, please keep us posted on jumpdesktop. i may have to implement a similar solution. however, its not ideal as i would want to access some video at the off-site location and it probably will not work well over an interface such as that..

Feedback Score
    ok, please keep us posted on jumpdesktop. i may have to implement a similar solution. however, its not ideal as i would want to access some video at the off-site location and it probably will not work well over an interface such as that..
    Not really much to post...it works perfectly. If your use case can be served (pun intended) by having remote access to a PC or Mac then this is a good solution. JumpDesktop has iOS clients (iPhone and iPad), which is how I typically use it when I'm at a conference or something...I leave my MacBook in my hotel room on hotel wifi and if I need to get to it I use my iPad, or if at lunch (and I have the MacBook online) I can quickly get to it with my iPhone. There are Android, iOS, macOS and Windows clients, and Windows and macOS host software.

Feedback Score
    What is the current thinking on an external antenna? I'd like to mount one on top of my motorhome. Nothing fancy desired, just something that can handle weather and 65mph+ winds when driving (80mph+ when the wife is behind the wheel!!!). I have no interest in a repeater...just a simple antenna. I have no issue cracking the case open. I'd prefer one from Amazon if it has the correct connector (or use a pigtail to MS156).

Here's what I'm looking at on Amazon:
    Antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9F08JR
    Pigtail: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRO84TQ

Feedback Score
    What is the current thinking on an external antenna? I'd like to mount one on top of my motorhome. Nothing fancy desired, just something that can handle weather and 65mph+ winds when driving (80mph+ when the wife is behind the wheel!!!). I have no interest in a repeater...just a simple antenna. I have no issue cracking the case open. I'd prefer one from Amazon if it has the correct connector (or use a pigtail to MS156).

Here's what I'm looking at on Amazon:
    Antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9F08JR
    Pigtail: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRO84TQ
    Note that unless specifically stated otherwise most of the magnet base mobile antennas require a groundplane to operate properly, meaning there needs to be metal underneath the antenna. Not an issue for most cars but could be for a fiberglass-roofed RV, just mentioning. You also want a broadband antenna that will support all LTE bands. Some examples are below although they may be be suitable for in-motion use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076CH8VY..._t4_B01M99DFMV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M99DFMV/_encoding=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E36Y7EG (not a lot of gain but low-profile enough for use in motion)

http://www.alternativewireless.com/l...62M3NWTS1.html (ditto)
    Last edited by nocaps; 07-15-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    Note that unless specifically stated otherwise most of the magnet base mobile antennas require a groundplane to operate properly, meaning there needs to be metal underneath the antenna. Not an issue for most cars but could be for a fiberglass-roofed RV, just mentioning. You also want a broadband antenna that will support all LTE bands. Some examples are below although they may be be suitable for in-motion use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076CH8VY..._t4_B01M99DFMV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M99DFMV/_encoding=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E36Y7EG (not a lot of gain but low-profile enough for use in motion)

http://www.alternativewireless.com/l...62M3NWTS1.html (ditto)
    THANKS!!!

I already thought about the ground plane...I have a way to do that on the roof if needed.

I like the low-profile one (3rd one in your list)...I think I'll go that route. I'm not looking to be able to pick up a signal from Mars...just a better signal than the tiny little Mobley antenna is capable of (but it does quite well). I'd still need the pigtail, so a bit of signal loss there, but better than the Mobley by itself.

Next question... Having not actually cracked open the case on the Mobley, do I need one or two external antennas? I am assuming ...I think I remember a post somewhere (perhaps in this long thread) where someone said there is one connection?

EDIT: I see now from reviewing some other posts (wonderful function Search is...) that I'd need two antennas. What separation distance should I use between the two, or will it matter much?
    Last edited by hilgert; 07-15-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Feedback Score
    THANKS!!!

I already thought about the ground plane...I have a way to do that on the roof if needed.

I like the low-profile one (3rd one in your list)...I think I'll go that route. I'm not looking to be able to pick up a signal from Mars...just a better signal than the tiny little Mobley antenna is capable of (but it does quite well). I'd still need the pigtail, so a bit of signal loss there, but better than the Mobley by itself.

Next question... Having not actually cracked open the case on the Mobley, do I need one or two external antennas? I am assuming ...I think I remember a post somewhere (perhaps in this long thread) where someone said there is one connection?

EDIT: I see now from reviewing some other posts (wonderful function Search is...) that I'd need two antennas. What separation distance should I use between the two, or will it matter much?
    The great folks over at the RV Mobile Resource Center do more thorough testing than one can imagine. They highly recommend this MIMO antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for devices that have dual antenna ports. It often outperforms rooftop MIMO antennas and even expensive boosters. No holes to drill, no additional connectors needed, it sticks nicely to a window and actually works very, very well.

Feedback Score
    I am new to this forum. Trying to educate myself I am a retired sr on limited income. I am cutting cable at home. I hope to be able to travel in an RV and stay connected but if health doesn't allow, does it make sense for me to purchase the Mobley and hack it to use in my apartment? I can order a local fiber network to use. I am a bit confused by my needs to stream tv and movies.I believe that today is the last day to get the $20 per mo car connect plan on ATT. Also if I should do this should I just pay for the Mobley and go month to mont? If I have a contract does that protect me from ATT cancelling the plan? I don't like contracts and would rather pay for a device. Will my accessibility at home be better with the fiber network at 200 mbps ($50per month) than the Mobley? I won't be gaming but streaming.

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbof View Post
    I am new to this forum. Trying to educate myself I am a retired sr on limited income. I am cutting cable at home. I hope to be able to travel in an RV and stay connected but if health doesn't allow, does it make sense for me to purchase the Mobley and hack it to use in my apartment? I can order a local fiber network to use. I am a bit confused by my needs to stream tv and movies.I believe that today is the last day to get the $20 per mo car connect plan on ATT. Also if I should do this should I just pay for the Mobley and go month to mont? If I have a contract does that protect me from ATT cancelling the plan? I don't like contracts and would rather pay for a device. Will my accessibility at home be better with the fiber network at 200 mbps ($50per month) than the Mobley? I won't be gaming but streaming.
    Today is not the last day
    Having a contract does not protect anything
    Fiber internet at home will be more reliable and faster than the mobley
    How the mobley will perform and speeds that you will get depend on your specific location. You would have to test it or get a comparable AT&T device to test.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I will not continue to go crazy deciding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbof View Post
    I am new to this forum. Trying to educate myself I am a retired sr on limited income. I am cutting cable at home. I hope to be able to travel in an RV and stay connected but if health doesn't allow, does it make sense for me to purchase the Mobley and hack it to use in my apartment?
    Not if you plan to use hundreds of GB a month. The service is not intended for that. Too many people doing that and ATT will have to jack the price and/or modify the plan to stop its use as home Internet. It is also no where near as reliable as cabled Internet. Seriously, where else can we get unlimited data for $20 a month? They must be expecting moderate use while in a car, not home Internet replacement with terabytes of use a month. That would be a money loser for ATT.

I can order a local fiber network to use. I am a bit confused by my needs to stream tv and movies.I believe that today is the last day to get the $20 per mo car connect plan on ATT. Also if I should do this should I just pay for the Mobley and go month to mont? If I have a contract does that protect me from ATT cancelling the plan? I don't like contracts and would rather pay for a device. Will my accessibility at home be better with the fiber network at 200 mbps ($50per month) than the Mobley? I won't be gaming but streaming.
    The Mobley is free with a 2 year contract and a $45 activation fee. A contract should stay at the $20 a month price for the length of the contract, but they can cancel or modify the service features/capability.

Off contract, month-to-month, the Mobley is $100 and no activation fee if purchased online. With month-to-month, there is no guarantee that the price will continue at $20 a month.

The speed of the Mobley varies widely depending on where you are. I get ~1 Mbps in my driveway. I have been places in town where it was 11 Mbps. Others have reported speeds in the 20-30 Mbps range.

1 Mbps is enough to stream Netflix in low-resolution. 5 Mbps will stream anything up to 1080 HD. 2 Mbps or so is adequate for web/forum browsing and email. There is no real need to pay for 200 Mbps service unless you have a house full of streamers and gamers.

What streaming service are you using? Just do a web search on "data speed for <service name>". It's all been calculated and posted online.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the explanation.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast