Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Thread: ZTE Mobley USB Tethering ASUS Router and probably others!

Carrier(s)
    VZW & ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wacnstac View Post
    Can someone help me understand why there is so much attention getting this to work with the Asus router versus some of the others that seem much easier to do? What am I mssing?
    it works great on the t-mobile router with old firmware. seems that somewhere along the way asus introduced a bug into their code. could be the dual wan idk. they need people to report the bug and troubleshoot so they can fix it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
    Just FWIW I'll note that I'm using a Unite Explore with a MikroTik router and it works fine, I haven't has a chance to test a Mobley yet but I suspect it would too. The MikroTik line of routers are both inexpensive and very powerful/flexible and can be set up any way you can imagine (auto failure to multiple WANs, throttling based on client IP, scripting, etc.), but they do require some knowledge for configuration so not for those who want a simple plug-and play solution. There are models with built-in wireless radios or standalone routers that you can simply connect to the WAP of your choice. The latter models are under $50 and have many of the capabilities of commercial routers costing thousands. They're great for those who want maximum capability but again, not a good choice for neophytes.
    Picked up a microtik routerboard hap ac. Trying to get the mobley working with it. Definitely a robust router. Any pointers, guides for basic minds using winbox? Tried looking in microtik forums...

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wacnstac View Post
    Can someone help me understand why there is so much attention getting this to work with the Asus router versus some of the others that seem much easier to do? What am I mssing?
    A fair question to be sure! If all you're looking for is just any router that will allow the Mobley to be tethered, then there are other options. The number of off-the-shelf routers that have decent USB Modem support is limited though, so beware. If you're willing to flash open source firmware that number expands significantly to include many that have USB ports.

The killer feature for me with the higher end Asus routers, particularly those that are supported by AsusWRT-Merlin, in the ability to run an OpenVPN client directly on the router. Running an OpenVPN client or server directly on a router is a processor intensive task, and many routers can't handle the load. There are lots of nice bells and whistles in the stock Asus firmware and even more in the Merlin version -- which either appeals to you or not.

If you're looking for other options, I can report that the Mobley also tethers to the CradlePoint routers. I've had success with both the MBR1200, MBR1200B and the MBR1400 though none are good for powering the Mobley -- the Mobley must be powered up and showing a cellular connection before powering up the CradlePoint. You can also use WiFi as WAN to connect CradlePoints to Mobleys -- another hard to find feature.

The killer feature with Cradlepoint is the ability have multiple active WAN connections. On the MBR1400 you can have 3 USB Modems, 2 Ethernet connections and a WiFi device all sharing the WAN duties using various different algorithms for failover or load balancing. There's also something called WAN Affinity that allows you to choose which type of traffic you want routed over which of your various WAN interfaces. If you need this kind of flexibility there are only a few routers that will do the job.

If all you're looking to do is stream SpongeBob SquarePants in Standard Definition then your choice of router doesn't matter much. But if your needs are more involved then routers like the high-end Asus models or CradlePoint go to the top of a short list.
    Last edited by bnhf; Today at 08:10 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by godsantagonist View Post
    Picked up a microtik routerboard hap ac. Trying to get the mobley working with it. Definitely a robust router. Any pointers, guides for basic minds using winbox? Tried looking in microtik forums...
    Yes, the MikroTik product line represents quite a bit of engineering at an incredibly low price. As noted in the post directly above the number of off-the-shelf routers that have decent USB Modem support is limited so the MikroTik is a good alternative (using either its built-in wireless chipset, or to adapt a 3G/4G device to any WAP of your choosing.) It also duplicates all of the features (and more) of the advanced Cradlepoint and Pepwave routers for all of 50 bucks, the catch being that you have to have the knowledge to set up the device correctly and the initial learning curve can be steep.

There really isn't any way to provide a brief tutorial but there is copious online and user group support, and an active forum to ask questions. But even these assume some basic knowledge on the part of the user, i.e. if the concepts of NAT, DHCP, DNS, IP routing, iptables, etc. are foreign to you then you might want to pony up for a more expensive but far more user-friendly alternative.

That said, the units come pre-configured as a basic home router and have a 'quick-start' setup area that allow you to configure all the usual basic parameters on a single page. This is almost all you need to use a 3G/4G modem as by default the router will recognize the USB device and set up routing, etc, automatically. But there still may be something that you have to figure out, for instance the Unite Explore didn't work instantly as for some reason it uses x.x.x.4 as a WAN gateway address instead of the more typical x.x.x.1. But once I figured that out and made the appropriate routing correction it was almost plug and play. From there you can configure it almost any way you can imagine although most home and mobile users would have no need for this. Basically I look at it as an inexpensive but high-performance (gigabit, dual core, etc.) adapter box between my LTE device and the WAP of my choosing, allowing me to select the access point that I want (or already have) and not be limited to one of the few (and sometimes cranky) off-the-shelf router/WAP solutions.

When I get the time I may connect up my Mobley and post some instructions but I'm not at home right now so won't be able to do that for a bit. Sorry that I can't offer more right now.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22