Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Band 12

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Band 12

How can I tell if T-Mobile has rolled out Band 12 in Louisville, KY yet. I am currently contemplating a switch from ATT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by `NismoZ View Post
    How can I tell if T-Mobile has rolled out Band 12 in Louisville, KY yet. I am currently contemplating a switch from ATT.
    I'll check to see when I get to work.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Check the 700a map that you can google. Also if you have android get the LTE band app. It's pretty accurate these days on what band your phone is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Check the 700a map that you can google. Also if you have android get the LTE band app. It's pretty accurate these days on what band your phone is.
    The band app won't be much help to him currently. He's on AT&T contemplating the switch. The 700a map on spectrum gateway is a good suggestion though.

Feedback Score
    I saw that Spectrum Map. It says that Tmo bought the licenses for 700mhz, as the whole area is pink. But it doesn't say if they have implemented any of it yet. That's the part I want to know.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. Also, if there are no 700mhz service yet, when the plans might be for Louisville? I see the Tmo bought the whole area in licensing, n the spectrum map, but it doesn't say if they've implemented or when they might.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by `NismoZ View Post
    I saw that Spectrum Map. It says that Tmo bought the licenses for 700mhz, as the whole area is pink. But it doesn't say if they have implemented any of it yet. That's the part I want to know.
    They have launched it in Louisville. Not every area is covered, but for the most part it's good. It's only a matter of time before they've covered the entire area. If you want to PM me the places you are concerned about I can check them.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    CellMapper shows band-12 sites on the west side of town.

Edit. Checking some of the sites on the east side of Louisville, they don't seem to have been updated since August. It's entirely possible that T-Mobile has added band-12 there but it's just not reflected in CellMapper's data.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 03-19-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Any news on deployment of 700 in San Francisco? Particularly around Caltrain or 4th and king

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wgplyr View Post
    Any news on deployment of 700 in San Francisco? Particularly around Caltrain or 4th and king
    It's live their. It's not the strongest signal though. Their is a tower near there that isn't quite finished yet. Unsure of when it'll go live though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmtan2 View Post
    It's live their. It's not the strongest signal though. Their is a tower near there that isn't quite finished yet. Unsure of when it'll go live though.

no band 12 within a 1-2 block radius. used cellmapper to try and find.

Feedback Score
    no band 12 within a 1-2 block radius. used cellmapper to try and find.
    If you forced your phone into band 12, you'd connect to it because it can reach their. But a phone isn't ever going to auto connect to it. So it doesn't surprise me that cellmapper doesn't have it logged. Tmobile has their phones & network programmed to use band12 as a last resort.

Feedback Score
    Very hard to test for band 12 cause it will only show up when your signal is real bad. Go indoors and into a basement, once signal hits 1-2 bars, check. In my basement, the phone rather stay at 1 bar instead of going to 2 bars with band 12. So tmobile will hang on to band 4 and band 2 until it hits -115 or less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmtan2 View Post
    If you forced your phone into band 12, you'd connect to it because it can reach their. But a phone isn't ever going to auto connect to it. So it doesn't surprise me that cellmapper doesn't have it logged. Tmobile has their phones & network programmed to use band12 as a last resort.

ok tforce told me it was being deployed in my area by 3/31 - not as a last resort but as part of a modernization.

Feedback Score
    ok tforce told me it was being deployed in my area by 3/31 - not as a last resort but as part of a modernization.
    From the map that I saw, in the area I looked up based on what you told me it was available. (It's possible I didn't check the exact area you were looking for I suppose, I'm pretty sure it was right. Although I'm not impervious to boo boos ) However, as far as signal strength goes, it was below the other bands in the area because it was reaching from a different tower.

I also saw that they were upgrading the tower in the area. The basis of Band12 is for weak areas because it gets through walls & buildings better. Unless you've got a phone capable of carrier aggregation, you won't see band 12 unless you've outreached the other bands.

I know this because I live in a basement apartment & my phone only connects to band 12 once I get down into the apartment. When I go outside, I'll connect to band 2 or 4.

"Modernization" is just the term to upgrading the tower with all the technologies Tmobile has. Most of that is putting band12 on the tower & implementation 3 CA. The priority order goes like this Band 4 (AWS 1700/2100) is first priority because it's the fastest and has the least reach, band 2 (1900) is 2nd (when deployed, it's not been moved in all areas), then if you are in a spot where you can't reach either of those, then you'll connect to band 12 (700a). Band 12 is the slowest but had the farthest reach.

Carrier aggregation can utilize all 3 at the same time, but it only uses the combined channel stream for burst moments. Otherwise it'll stick with the frequencies in the order above for tasks that don't need the burst.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast