Thread: Change in T-Mobile ONE Policy?

Feedback Score

Change in T-Mobile ONE Policy?

I recently switched to a new ONE plan during the free line promo a few weeks back. I am pretty happy with the way the discounts stack and like my local service and features, especially for travel. One drawback was, the 200Mb free, On Demand Mobile Internet plan was not available with ONE I was told, and I tried to add it despite that information, but it couldn't be done on the device. (iPad That Was Previously Using On Demand)

Today out of boredom, I tried to set up my Air 2 on the Check My Account portion of Settings, and it allowed me into the setup screen. I went through the registration steps, and my input was accepted. I even got email confirmations of my registration. I did all 4 iPads in my household and each one registered normally, however I noted that the phone number assigned to the sim cards already in my iPads was overwritten with a new, different number. I don't care, but I though it was odd to waste 4 new numbers when my old numbers were still in the system in my name.

Anyway, I tested the service and it works fine, the data progress bar is just like before, and so, I'd say they must have changed the rules about On Demand accounts. Or at least what I had been told about them.

Is anyone currently on a postpaid ONE plan who has an On Demand, Free 200Mb data plan?

Feedback Score
    You can always setup a qualified tablet with 200 MB per month for life. It never needed to be tied to a voice account.

I'm assuming that what you did when you re-registered your tablets.

Feedback Score
    Jet,

I tried when I got my ONE account. I was told by several reps they were not allowed on ONE plans. I got escalated to someone who said she could apply for a waiver of the rule and get my iPads on the 200Mb service, but that fell through also. I did try to go to the Settings self setup, and it had no option last week for registering on the On Demand service. All this is why I am asking for the experiences of others.

Do you have a tablet on this plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post

I tried when I got my ONE account. I was told by several reps they were not allowed on ONE plans.
    I thought you were trying to get tablet lines transferred from your old postpaid account to this one. Are they actually showing up as lines on your postpaid account with the new phone numbers you received?

Feedback Score
    No, they are not. I was told that the On Demand lines were not permitted on ONE accounts as they were on the Simple Choice plans. Are you saying that free tablet plans no longer need to be associated with a voice line, as in the past?

Now that you mention it, they do not show on my ONE on line manager, however they do appear after entering my password at the log on. I am offered a choice as to which number I wish to manage.

And yes, I was trying to get them transferred, since when they were established, they needed to be tied to a voice line. A friend called me to try and put an iPad on the free tablet plan and was told he needed to have a voice line to add it to. I told him to use his wife's prepaid line instead of mine.

So it seems that they are still available, but not included in the ONE plan. Seems strange, perhaps they don't want kickback or roaming on the tablets?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    Are you saying that free tablet plans no longer need to be associated with a voice line, as in the past?
    This FAQ from 2013 said that you did not need to have the tablet associated with a voice line as long as you owned the tablet outright (i.e. not buying it on EIP)

Q. If I buy a tablet device outright, do I need a service payment relationship with T-Mobile?
    A. No. Bring it in to us or buy it in full from us and we’ll get you on the network where you’ll get 200MB of free data (plus SIM card purchase), every month, for as long as you own your device.

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/11/t-mob...b-tablet-deal/

It's always been my understanding that this was available to anyone with a qualified tablet---buy the SIM, go to a specific website to activate and the service and SIM would remain active.

As for your phone numbers, if they are associated with the same email address that your ONE account is, then it's likely T-Mobile's online system ties them all together for login purposes.

Feedback Score
    Live and learn. I went through all that BS last week and the CS reps should have known what you've stated and just given me that information.

It is strange that since I am tied to my email address that they wouldn't just allow the previous numbers to reactivate on the new service instead of giving me numbers with 3 different area codes as replacements. These were reprogrammed on top of my existing sims while in my devices.

I still think there must be a change in the system though, since last week I could not activate on line for the On Demand service. There was no option for it in the Cell Data>View Account setting. Only selections for paid lines.

BTW, all my devices have always been paid in full, cash purchases. That could not have been a reason for preventing me from moving the tablets last week.

Feedback Score
    Reps have always been confused about this because of the dumb way it's set up in the system. Activating the 200mb for life plan on postpaid requires setting it up as a $10 "on demand" data line, and the $10 is discounted to $0 if it's associated with a voice line. The 200mb is included free in the "on demand" data line.

On prepaid, none of this BS applies. You just activate the on-demand data plan, which is already free, and the 200mb for life is included.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, iPad mini 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Sprint through Ting
    Feedback Score
    Basically they are simplifying the Free Data for Life offer moving forward by activating all FDFL devices on prepaid services - so no need for the kludgy $10 On Demand plan and $10 credit.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for all the answers and input.

I think I understand what's happened now. Anyway, the assigned numbers don't matter I guess since they are on a tablet.