Thread: So confused w/ choosing network. I THOUGHT an unlocked Galaxy S7 will work on ANY...

Device(s)
    LG ENV
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

So confused w/ choosing network. I THOUGHT an unlocked Galaxy S7 will work on ANY...

My daughter has a factory unlocked (SM-G930FD) that was purchased on ebay. It has most recently been used for four months on MetroPCS. Their service, however, does not work in our new home. So I tried to call Total Wireless and they stated this phone will not work on their network. I did NOT understand their explanation. Could someone here help me in plain English? I have Total Wireless' sim kit...why would this phone not work on any network?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Your phone is a GSM phone. Total Wireless is a Verizon MVNO. Verizon using CDMA technology, not GSM like AT&T, T-Mobile and the rest of the world. So you're limited to the small number of CDMA phones out there.

Verizon sucks, which makes all their MVNOs suck as well. Phone freedom is just one of the many things you give up by going with them.

Device(s)
    Nokia 2720
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The web sit is not letting me quote in HTML ...

>So confused w/ choosing network. I THOUGHT an unlocked Galaxy S7 will work on ANY...

That's a good apprehension ... lotsa band coverage ... GSM, UMTS/HSPA, LTE... but no CDMA radio which you need for todays' Verizon and Sprint. Someday the industry will be LTE everywhere.

>My daughter has a factory unlocked (SM-G930FD) that was purchased on ebay.

This a "Global/Southeast Asia" version and does not have a CDMA radio.

> It has most recently been used for four months on MetroPCS.

MetroPCS is a version of T-Mobile - a GSM carrier.

> Their service, however, does not work in our new home.

Yup. There are places I go (in Southern California) where T-Mobile doesn't work.

> So I tried to call Total Wireless and they stated this phone will not work on their network.

It does say on their web page they want you to have a CDMA phone.

> I did NOT understand their explanation. Could someone here help me in plain English?

Of course. What was their explanation?

My own guess is that the 930FD does not have the "Verizon" "handshake" for Over-The-Air programming. As a corollary, Verizon won't add your serial number to their database. Possibly, the "handshake" only takes place over the CDMA radio. Someday Verizon will be all LTE and this won't matter.

> I have Total Wireless' sim kit...why would this phone not work on any network?

The phone would work ofn (almost) any network but the Total Wireless SIM is intended to put your phone on the Total Wireless network ... not anyone else. It's possible to get a SM from someone like Tracfone (or a varient) that can work on ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint or USCC.

Regards, FJ

Device(s)
    LG ENV
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Good info! Thanks for your time!