Thread: Think I'm gonna try Homefusion and have a few questions

Device(s)
    Iphone 6, Ipads, Mac Books
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T
    Feedback Score

Think I'm gonna try Homefusion and have a few questions

I have endured ATT DSL ultra-lite on an extended loop for 5 years now, suffered thru speeds of 100K down and 10K up. The "unlimited" coupled with the fact that I can add it to my shared plan as another device makes it attractive. I'm 3/4 of a mile from a tower they erected in 2013 and I get excellent speeds when tethered to my smartphone. My questions are;
    1. The user manual stated that you can have 20 WLS users and 4 ethernet users connected at any given time. Can this be changed in the configuration? Can you cascade the wired connections to desktop switches and add more wired users?
    2. Rather than placing the cantenna outside in the elements, I can place it in the attic and have a direct line of site view of the tower thru a dormer window. Any problem with this?
    3. Is there a coax distance limitation between the router and the cantenna?
    4. Is there a better residential solution?

TIA, 2Old

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Old2Soon View Post
    I have endured ATT DSL ultra-lite on an extended loop for 5 years now, suffered thru speeds of 100K down and 10K up. The "unlimited" coupled with the fact that I can add it to my shared plan as another device makes it attractive. I'm 3/4 of a mile from a tower they erected in 2013 and I get excellent speeds when tethered to my smartphone. My questions are;
    1. The user manual stated that you can have 20 WLS users and 4 ethernet users connected at any given time. Can this be changed in the configuration? Can you cascade the wired connections to desktop switches and add more wired users?
    2. Rather than placing the cantenna outside in the elements, I can place it in the attic and have a direct line of site view of the tower thru a dormer window. Any problem with this?
    3. Is there a coax distance limitation between the router and the cantenna?
    4. Is there a better residential solution?

TIA, 2Old
    I don't know this device, but in general yes you can cascade Ethernet hubs and switches to your hearts content. You want a switch. You can also setup a Wifi repeater bridge with another router. The repeater router would have whatever its limit is for "users" The repeater bridge will operate at about half the usual Wifi speed. This is easy with DD-WRT on the router. You don't have to change anything on the WAN router.

An antenna through a window will work if the signal is good enough. I wouldn't make it try to go through a metal window screen. I put my cellphone in a window to use it as a hotspot. I get about the same signal as outside.

Coax length? Reasonable lengths should be ok. I wouldn't worry about a hundred feet or so. The loss depends on the coax type. Bigger generally has less loss. You can look it up with a web search.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    I don't know what the line fee is for the home fusion I assume it's $10/mo for a metered plan and $20/mo for an unmetered plan like the hotspots are.

1. You may be able to make it support less in settings but not more.
    2. IIRC it's professionally installed so whatever you can talk your installer into it will probably still work fine sitting on your kitchen table. Not likely a problem.
    3. No idea.
    4.:

The T1114 can be bought for about $40 or so secondhand it supports voice and data (does anyone know if the phone port on the home fusion can be activated?) bands 13 and 4 has 3 ethernet ports, 2 phone ports and supports up to 10 devices.
    If 10 isn't enough I recommend shutting off it's wifi and attaching your own router.
    As for cost the T1114 should be the same monthly line rate as the home fusion but requires no installation.

You can add it to the new UDP and get 10GB to play with (or actually unlimited until they bother to start enforcing the 600kbps throttle.)
    or you can add it to a tiered data plan and use however many GB you are paying for.

The hottest thing for home LTE right now is att's $20/mo att mobley unlimited plan you can tether it to some routers 22GB and then deprioritised. You may be able to use the sim from it in a dedicated router.

Feedback Score
    Interesting product/service but pricing seems... pricey? Seems like you'd be better off getting one of their new unlimited plans with 22GB on a phone and USB tether it to a router if you're not in a congested area.

10GB/$60/mo
    20GB/$90/mo
    30GB/$120/mo
    40GB/$150/mo
    1GB overage/$10