Feedback Score

Ways to backup iPhone without wifi or a PC?

If someone has an iPhone 6 and iPad Air and is using the iPhone hotspot on cellular data as their only internet access, how can they keep local data backed up?

The iPad could be backed up by connecting it to the iPhone hotpot and doing a normal iClould backups overnight, but the iPhone wouldn't have any wifi to connect to and iCloud won't let you do backups over cellular.
    Will any settings from the iPhone sync to the iPad and back to the iPhone over the cellular that would then be backed up when the iPad does it's own iCloud backup?

I had an idea to get Google Photos app to backup local pictures to the cloud over cellular.
    I think WhatsApp can also be manually backed up to iClould over cellular.
    If you use Gmail for mail and calendar, that will be backed up without needing iCloud
    That leaves Safari settings, Keychain, texts/iMessages and call history that would still not be backed up.
    Are there other solutions for anything else that would be missed?

Phone
    Apple iPhone 6S Plus Apple iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    If a device detects a WI-FI access point, it does not matter to that device how the access point connects to the Internet. If you have sufficient data capacity, you can use the iPad hotspot to backup the iPhone and the iPhone hotspot to backup the iPad.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by web1b View Post
    If someone has an iPhone 6 and iPad Air and is using the iPhone hotspot on cellular data as their only internet access, how can they keep local data backed up?

The iPad could be backed up by connecting it to the iPhone hotpot and doing a normal iClould backups overnight, but the iPhone wouldn't have any wifi to connect to and iCloud won't let you do backups over cellular.
    Will any settings from the iPhone sync to the iPad and back to the iPhone over the cellular that would then be backed up when the iPad does it's own iCloud backup?

I had an idea to get Google Photos app to backup local pictures to the cloud over cellular.
    I think WhatsApp can also be manually backed up to iClould over cellular.
    If you use Gmail for mail and calendar, that will be backed up without needing iCloud
    That leaves Safari settings, Keychain, texts/iMessages and call history that would still not be backed up.
    Are there other solutions for anything else that would be missed?
    This backs up photos and contacts, if that helps...

https://www.amazon.com/Leef-iBridge-...s=leef+ibridge
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    If a device detects a WI-FI access point, it does not matter to that device how the access point connects to the Internet. If you have sufficient data capacity, you can use the iPad hotspot to backup the iPhone and the iPhone hotspot to backup the iPad.
    that's very easy to back up iPhone, you can back up your iPhone with iTunes or iCloud.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doolie View Post
    This backs up photos and contacts, if that helps...

https://www.amazon.com/Leef-iBridge-...s=leef+ibridge
    That only backs up photos which can already be backed up over cellular via Google photos or simply sharing/syncing your photo library over cellular.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The iPad doesn't have a hot spot unless you have a cellular iPad and pay for a separate data plan.

Feedback Score
    This is becoming more of an issue since more and more people I know either don't have broadband available or are cutting the cord to broadband just like they are cutting landline service to save money. Some just don't want to deal with a home router and cable modem, cable company phone support and problems with cable internet outage troubleshooting. The hotspot from the phone is much more simple to use for someone who isn't tech savvy.

Some of these people have also recently switched from Android to iOS and have some regrets after finding out the backup doesn't work over cellular.

Since they can backup their camera roll over cellular by using the Google Photos app and enabling the option to sync over cellular and their email is synced to the cloud automatically since it's gmail, the most important things left to backup would be things like SMS/iMessage history and call history along with saved web and wifi connection password, bookmarks, and some other phone preferences. That type of info would use very little cellular data to backup. So, it seems really stupid that Apple is so hellbent on requiring wifi to save people from themselves thinking someone is going to complain to them about data charges.
    If you can enable cellular data for high data activities such as streaming Netflix, then you should be able to enable it to back up call history, Messages and Keychain.

Does anyone know any other ways to automatically or even manually backup SMS history, call history and WhatsApp history that doesn't involve using a PC or jail breaking? Maybe somehow sync these things from the iPhone over to the iPad and then backup the iPad to iCloud using the iPhone's personal hotspot connection as wifi and then just not bother backing up the iPhone? In that case, I assume if the iPhone was replaced or had to be factory reset, it would be able to sync the data back from the iPad and would be a workaround to directly backing up the iPhone.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanterty View Post
    that's very easy to back up iPhone, you can back up your iPhone with iTunes or iCloud.
    That's how I backup my stuff from my iPad and iPhone, I either use my MacBook or HP laptop with iTunes or using wifi for iCloud.
    Anything else is making a relatively simple task into a difficult one. While it would be nice if Apple allowed stuff to be backed up using cellular connection, I find that cellular connections are usually slow on the uplink regardless of wireless carrier used, but I find it hilarious to see people uploading 5 GB, 32 GB or 100+ GB worth of stuff using a cellular hotspot. Have fun with the waiting, dropped packets and time outs...

If wifi isn't available then simply backup everything on a computer using iTunes, it's still faster than trying to dump everything through a cellular hotspot.

Feedback Score
    There is no “simply backup everything to a PC” option. I mentioned they only have an iPhone and iPad and the internet connection is the iPhone personal hotspot.
    There is no need to backup gigabytes of data. All that’s left to backup is call history, SMS history, saved bookmarks and passwords in Keychain and some configuration and preferences settings.
    These items take very little data to backup which makes it that much more idiotic that WiFi is required to back up those things, yet there is nothing stopping you from streaming gigabytes of Netflix and HBO over cellular if that’s what you want to do.