Thread: New Talk & Text Promo

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score

New Talk & Text Promo

Public is pitching a $25 talk & text plan for those with little or no interest in data
    Limited time, reward eligible
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $6 Loyalty - $42 Refer = $22 per Month
    Telus SK North American Wide 7GB = $65
    Chatr (Mobi) $40 North America Wide + 6GB + 30 Mins Roaming

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 16 GB, Motorola Moto E 2nd Gen, iPhone 4s, HTC Desire HD
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm thinking of getting Public Mobile's 90-day Unlimited Provincial Talk & Text ($81/90 days) - $2/30 days Auto-Pay + $30/1 GB Data add-on (rolling).

Is this plan worthwhile for casual data use?

Right now I'm paying $40/month for 500 daytime mins + unlimited 5pm evenings + weekends + unlimited sms/mms + 1 GB/month with Koodo. I want to downgrade to something cheaper.

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Telus & Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Casual data use on Public = $30 for 1GB (no expiry date)
    So long as you are using 500MB or less per month then yes it is totally worth it

If not they also have a $55 promo that includes 4GB monthly

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think I'll give Public Mobile a test run then. I used to be on Koodo Prepaid at one time where i paid $15/month ($13.50 after auto-pay) for unlimited sms/MMS and then got the 500 mins/$25 and 1GB/$30 add-ons. Public Mobile's $25 talk and text plan is $11.50/month more. The $30/1gb add-on is identical. But i get unlimited provincial talk instead of pay per use (5c/min) for that extra $11.50. I don't have to tell people who contact me that I'm on prepaid minutes and can't talk for very long. lol. And when I moved to Koodo Post-Paid, I deliberately waited until 5pm to call people back to save on daytime minutes. I can't recall ever having to make a call outside Ontario as well. There are cheap third party LD services anyways.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo & Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    As long as people don't delude themselves about what their actual use is, go for it. I put my sister on PM a couple of years ago, and there has never been a problem. It's a good, reliable service.
    Un-Rogered, and getting better 'value'.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CGY Guy View Post
    As long as people don't delude themselves about what their actual use is, go for it. I put my sister on PM a couple of years ago, and there has never been a problem. It's a good, reliable service.
    Only drawback to me going with Public Mobile is that my voice usage might not justify it. I don't talk on the phone much and Koodo Prepaid has $15/month unlimited intl sms/mms (-$1.50 auto-pay = $13.50), the the $30/1 GB data add-on (no expiry) and also a $25/500 mins add-on (no expiry). On the flip side though, back when I was on Koodo Pre-Paid people feel guilty burning my airtime if I tell them that I'm on prepaid minutes. lol. I have to pay an extra $9 ($10 - $1 after auto-pay) just to get unlimited evenings (7pm) and weekends with Koodo Prepaid anyways. So paying the extra $11.50 to get unlimited provincial and not have to worry about micromanaging my minutes may be worth it.

I wish that there was some sort of flexplan for talk/text/data or at least just talk/data. Telcos barely make anything on pay-per-use users because networks have high overhead costs and low variable costs (unless you are a heavy data/voice user). Bellus invested billions into their network so they want to encourage people to get on the fixed plans. Where people generally err on the side of buying more than they need to avoid overages.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Also just wondering about something: do you get the auto-pay bonus for the first 90 days of your plan (right at activation when I register my Koodo SIM card) or do you have to pay the full price for the first 90 days?

That won't effect my decision. But if I'm not going to get the auto-pay the first time around I'll probably head to Shopper's to buy the vouchers instead of using my credit card online. Because I have to pay off my card to free up credit limit and I don't like using my Visa Debit card online (debit fraud is more hassle to dispute than credit card fraud).

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You get auto-pay bonus right away.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition