Thread: Have 3rd Line Free - Want to Remove an Active Line - what happens?

Feedback Score

Have 3rd Line Free - Want to Remove an Active Line - what happens?

Hey All -

I have the "This one's on us Promotion" on my 3rd line. I plan to port over one of the other lines to a competitor - I realize I'll lose the 3rd line free promotion as a result.

I'm curious though which scenario occurs:

1: Upon porting out a line, the promotion is simply removed off the (free) 3rd line - resulting in a $40 charge and the line remains active

2: The loss of the promotion results in the 3rd line being disconnected and the services stopped on that line once one of the other lines are removed from the group.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Correct to #1 .. the promo ends. Is in the fine print.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    Correct to #1 .. the promo ends. Is in the fine print.
    thanks - so that means the line that was free becomes a regular charge and the line stays active correct? My main concern as making sure that free line didn't automatically close and services stop simply because I ported out another line in the group.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The free line is free because they give you a monthly credit making it free. Cancelling any line within 12 months breaks the stipulation of the promo and you simply stop getting that monthly credit.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So does that mean next year one could port out a line and still keep the promo?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    So does that mean next year one could port out a line and still keep the promo?
    The way the promo fine print is worded, I believe so

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seezar View Post
    The way the promo fine print is worded, I believe so
    Hmm that's what I was wondering too...if that's the case I'm staying put for another 11 months.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can you show me where you found that wording. I googleD it and from what I can see that's not what it states.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The free line is credited the $$ amount, thus making it free. If you don't call in to cancel and port out how will T-Mobile know what happened and stop the monthly credits?

Feedback Score
    Can you show me where you found that wording. I googleD it and from what I can see that's not what it states.
    The 12 billing cycles wording was in the FAQ of the promo screen which is no longer up. The press release which is still up just says: "must keep existing lines" and "you can keep your free line as long as you’re on an eligible T-Mobile plan and in good standing or until you make changes "

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...line-promo.htm

If you don't call in to cancel and port out how will T-Mobile know what happened and stop the monthly credits?
    Because they'll get the port request from the carrier you're porting to, and then they'll know to end the credit for the free line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    The 12 billing cycles wording was in the FAQ of the promo screen which is no longer up. The press release which is still up just says: "must keep existing lines" and "you can keep your free line as long as you’re on an eligible T-Mobile plan and in good standing or until you make changes "

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...line-promo.htm

Because they'll get the port request from the carrier you're porting to, and then they'll know to end the credit for the free line.
    So what would happen if you ported that line back in or if you ported all lines out and ended up porting back the same lines within say 30 days?

I've heard your account is restored like you never left (including promos) but i doubt that's the case - I don't see them giving back 20%, 3rd line free even if you had it previously.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1210 View Post
    So what would happen if you ported that line back in or if you ported all lines out and ended up porting back the same lines within say 30 days?

I've heard your account is restored like you never left (including promos) but i doubt that's the case - I don't see them giving back 20%, 3rd line free even if you had it previously.
    I don't know about the free line. But I do know the 20% is gone. Somebody reported going to the trouble of getting a kickback code, porting over, then a few days later they ported back to Verizon. A week goes by and they regret it, so they try to get bring their line back and get 20% back and they were told in no uncertain terms that the 20% was gone for good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I don't know about the free line. But I do know the 20% is gone. Somebody reported going to the trouble of getting a kickback code, porting over, then a few days later they ported back to Verizon. A week goes by and they regret it, so they try to get bring their line back and get 20% back and they were told in no uncertain terms that the 20% was gone for good.
    Hi Jet1000, I know you are the expert so I want to ask: I signed up for the 20% hookup code around March 25th with confirmation. When I created the My T-mobile account, I used a different email than the hookup signup email since T-mobile online prevented me from using that email (something about that email is already associated with an account). So fast forward 8 days, I finally ported in the number. Everything is done, I can call out and the caller ID reflects the ported in number. Still, been 3 days and I haven't received any text confirmation that the Hookup code has been applied. Multiple calls to T-mobile yielded request to wait and see 2 billing cycles. I am really worried that something went wrong and the Hookup can't be apply in the future despite having the confirmation tracking info in hand.

Is there anything proactive I can do to get a definitive answer about Hookup code application to my account?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by inspron View Post
    Hi Jet1000, I know you are the expert so I want to ask:
    I'm not really an expert. But the only thing I know is to either wait until you get your first bill or call in and ask. However, if you call in, there are reports that the rep might not see it anyway.

Not everyone received their text about the 20% so I wouldn't be concerned about that. The best way is to keep checking your account online to see if your 20% shows up. Now since you didn't do the port right away the discount may have missed your first bill. But if you don't see it by the second bill, just call in with your tracking number and have them sort it out.