Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Cricket vs. H2O?

Feedback Score

Cricket vs. H2O?

This question hasn't been asked on this forum since last year, I know some things have changed so I'm tossing it out again.

I'm interested in switching to an AT&T MVNO, either Cricket or H2O.

Why should I choose Cricket?

I'll say up front, I don't give six and a half ca-cas about Cricket's referral program.

I'm also fully aware of the MMS problem with iOS on H2O, but I'm equally disinterested given that there will be icicles in Hades before I ever own an iPhone. And I'm fully aware that H2O's pricing may change after their promotion runs out.

I'm just interested in who offers the most solid, dependable phone and data service. I would be coming from a VZW MVNO, and my major motivation would be that I'm tired of the hoops you have to jump through to get new phones, would like to explore some of the unlocked, just pop in the SIM card and go options.

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO G, Iphone 6 On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Honestly, based on your criteria, there really is no other difference between the two beside pricing. Go with whatever one gives you the most for your money at this time. /End thread.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

Cricket vs. H2O?

Gophone $45 plan would be my choice for solid dependable ATT service.
    Join Cricket Wireless (same AT&T signal) and get $25 in credit! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Honestly, based on your criteria, there really is no other difference between the two beside pricing. Go with whatever one gives you the most for your money at this time. /End thread.
    Appreciate the honest answer.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PRW94 View Post
    This question hasn't been asked on this forum since last year, I know some things have changed so I'm tossing it out again.

I'm interested in switching to an AT&T MVNO, either Cricket or H2O.

Why should I choose Cricket?

I'll say up front, I don't give six and a half ca-cas about Cricket's referral program.

I'm also fully aware of the MMS problem with iOS on H2O, but I'm equally disinterested given that there will be icicles in Hades before I ever own an iPhone. And I'm fully aware that H2O's pricing may change after their promotion runs out.

I'm just interested in who offers the most solid, dependable phone and data service. I would be coming from a VZW MVNO, and my major motivation would be that I'm tired of the hoops you have to jump through to get new phones, would like to explore some of the unlocked, just pop in the SIM card and go options.
    The two services are pretty much identical except the lack of MMS on iOS, IMO - which in this case won't impact you.

Try both for a month and see which best suits your needs.

Personally, I went with Cricket over 2 yrs ago because they are actually owned by AT&T and they operate many store locations just in case I choose to visit in person (and not deal with over-seas support).

Cricket is as far down the prepaid ladder as I'm willing to go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Gophone $45 plan would be my choice for solid dependable ATT service.
    The thing is, I'd never use that much data in a million years. My wife thinks I'm on the phone all the time and I barely use a gig a month. It's a personal/work tool for me, I don't game or stream.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Go with Cricket. Why? Because I'm using Cricket and it validates my decision.

Truthfully, you seem pretty informed about both services so I'm not sure what you think you are going to learn that is going to sway your decision. In my opinion go with what you thik is going to get you the most bang for your buck. If you don't like it then switch.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well I'm not sure about H2O wireless, but with cricket, just know you'll get a $5 discount. For a single line with auto pay on their 40, 50 and $60 plans. If you're doing multi line, two lines get a $10 discount no auto pay discount. With that said crickets price is what you pay, no Taxes, hidden fees, etc. if it's $40, you pay $40. Don't know if H2O is the same way.

Also, you mentioned you don't use much data so doubt this will bother you, but the data speed is capped at 8mbps download and upload. That's plenty to stream, surf, etc. but just so you know.

Feedback Score
    I had heard that H2O was uncapped. Of course I'm using capped 5mbps on Verizon, so 8 mbps actually would be a step upward, LOL!

Feedback Score
    I've been with H2O on the $30/month ($27/mo auto recharge) plan for 3 years now. No problems so far. Again, I don't think you'll have problems with H2O MMS on Android. I don't have any problems when I run the H2O SIM's in my LG, Samsung, BLU, Huawei, Pantech... phones. I had Cricket before but I ported my numbers to H2O for the lower plan prices. The only reason I would choose Cricket over H2O was for the Cricket Visual Voicemail but I don't care much about VM.

Feedback Score
    They seem both to be good choices.
    See how much data you need and go with that.
    I have used H20 in the past, but never cricket.
    I do not remember using MMS on h20, but data worked.
    Just get the correct apn.

Feedback Score
    Yup, make sure you have the correct APN. On most newer Android phones, the H2O smart SIM's will populate a list of the available APN's from AT&T MVNOs such as H2O, Black Wireless for you to choose from. In case the APNs don't appear on the phone, you can use a generic APN posted in the H2O subforum by the H2O reps or just ask and I (or other people) will post it here for you.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

Cricket vs. H2O?

And if you want even less data try airvoice or h2o Easygo for $20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    And if you want even less data try airvoice or h2o Easygo for $20.
    I'd probably use a little more data if I had it to use (I'm at a gig with Selectel on VZW) but nowhere near 6 gigs with the Go Phone.

Here's the deal, though. I'm an oddball in that my primary motivation for using an MVNO is control ... I'm a control freak, proud member of the fraternity ... rather than saving a nickel. I said in a post in another section here, I'm a free market guy on 99 percent of the things on this planet, but when it comes to cable/cellular companies I'm Leon Trotsky, I think they're the spawn of Satan and there will be, again, icicles where Satan lives before I ever sign another contract with one of them.

I'm more interested in what works ... I like to establish service and forget about it; I'm not checking my data usage every single day, etc. ... than what's cheaper. I've done particularly well with Selectel ... their service "just works," it's basically been bulletproof ... but the VZW MVNOs are in an uproar right now over some things plus as noted, I'm tired of being locked into a VZW phone.

My current phone is unlocked, I'm looking just to port my number to a GSM carrier just to get a SIM activated then go for something else. Lot of great phones out there like Axon 7, Huawei P9, OnePlus that I'd like to consider rather than carrier branded anything.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I've used both and am staying with H2O for now on the $30.00(27.00 auto pay) plan. I do miss the call forwarding with Cricket, but not a deal breaker. Will likely stay even if data drops to 1Mb when the current promotion ends.

The only thing I don't like about H2O is the data expiration text & voice notice the last few days before auto recharge kicks in. Not sure if it can be turned off?

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast