Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BYOD and VoLTE/HD Voice

Feedback Score

BYOD and VoLTE/HD Voice

Has anyone successfully been able to get their BYOD registered with AT&T that supports VoLTE. I spent a whole 2 hours with Tech. Support, looks like they do not have ability or access to "whitelist" the IMEI. This is really frustrating my phone is a third party with full support for VoLTE, i am like a 15 years customer with AT&T, I can understand the initial rollout to restrict approved devices (of course iPhone 6 and above works regardless of how it was purchased). I am getting LTE fine, which of course requires you to use a SIM/device so it can provision the LTE properly.

Was just curious if anyone here had success with registering a BYOD. If they did what was the process.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

BYOD and VoLTE/HD Voice

Quote Originally Posted by bekarhoo View Post
    Has anyone successfully been able to get their BYOD registered with AT&T that supports VoLTE. I spent a whole 2 hours with Tech. Support, looks like they do not have ability or access to "whitelist" the IMEI. This is really frustrating my phone is a third party with full support for VoLTE, i am like a 15 years customer with AT&T, I can understand the initial rollout to restrict approved devices (of course iPhone 6 and above works regardless of how it was purchased). I am getting LTE fine, which of course requires you to use a SIM/device so it can provision the LTE properly.

Was just curious if anyone here had success with registering a BYOD. If they did what was the process.
    That would depend on your phone which you didn't say what it was. If it's a non AT&T phone (except iPhones) you cannot get VoLTE. It would have to be an AT&T phone if Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

I am no longer a Primary Uscc User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    That would depend on your phone which you didn't say what it was. If it's a non AT&T phone (except iPhones) you cannot get VoLTE. It would have to be an AT&T phone if Android.

Hi, hyelton yes it is NOT an AT&T branded phone (sorry thought I mentioned that). AT&T wants to restrict only I guess their "certified" phones to VoLTE. The EXCEPTION being iPhones, which can be NON AT&T branded and it will work .. i.e. VoLTE/HD Voice. No ONE could really explain technically what the issue is, except that it appears that they have a whitelist of devices (via IMEI range it appears) that are allowed to use it.

Also, the device is a Xiaomi and I have verified VoLTE/WiFI calling works with a T-Mobile SIM. Really do not want to leave AT&T but if they play this kinda of game, seriously considering leaving them as T-Mobile has improved the coverage in my area.

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hi, hyelton yes it is NOT an AT&T branded phone (sorry thought I mentioned that). AT&T wants to restrict only I guess their "certified" phones to VoLTE. The EXCEPTION being iPhones, which can be NON AT&T branded and it will work .. i.e. VoLTE/HD Voice. No ONE could really explain technically what the issue is, except that it appears that they have a whitelist of devices (via IMEI range it appears) that are allowed to use it.

Also, the device is a Xiaomi and I have verified VoLTE/WiFI calling works with a T-Mobile SIM. Really do not want to leave AT&T but if they play this kinda of game, seriously considering leaving them as T-Mobile has improved the coverage in my area.
    CS can't help you as Xiaomi phones aren't approved for VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling with AT&T. They don't have the proper AT&T settings for it and AT&T doesn't want to give the settings out for non AT&T phones.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    CS can't help you as Xiaomi phones aren't approved for VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling with AT&T. They don't have the proper AT&T settings for it and AT&T doesn't want to give the settings out for non AT&T phones.

Ok, that explains it although it is baked in version of Android 6.0 and above and now that they are allowing interoperability with T-Mobile and Verizon seems odd they would still do it.. thanks

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ok, that explains it although it is baked in version of Android 6.0 and above and now that they are allowing interoperability with T-Mobile and Verizon seems odd they would still do it.. thanks
    It's odd. I wish VoLTE just worked on unlocked phones or that we could just put the equivalent of a APN and just have it work.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    It's odd. I wish VoLTE just worked on unlocked phones or that we could just put the equivalent of a APN and just have it work.

It works that way outside of the USA

Device(s)
    AT&T Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), Verizon (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post

Actually, there are a few non-branded devices that support VoLTE (at the very least) on AT&T's network. The HTC A9, HTC 10, LeEco Le Pro 3, Axon 7, and the Alcatel POP 4+ all support VoLTE on AT&T's network.

There's this misconseption going around that only branded devices and iPhones get VoLTE, when the reality is, AT&T requires a device to be certified for their network to use VoLTE (and other IMS services).

I believe the Axon 7 was recently white-listed/certified, hence why it may of just started working.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The only phones I know of unlocked are the HTC A9 and 10. They had them certified on T's network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    balleron,
    That is what I understood it to be from the CSR, that "whitelisting" is essentially their certification. So how does one go about at least requesting the certification?

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    balleron,
    That is what I understood it to be from the CSR, that "whitelisting" is essentially their certification. So how does one go about at least requesting the certification?
    Sorry the manufacturer is the only party who can request certification.

Device(s)
    Galaxy s7 edge, nexus 6p as a backup
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ironically I had a Nexus 6 which they did sell, and still couldn't get volte. Wish they were more open like all the other carriers, that was my main reason buying a Galaxy S7 was to take advantage of WiFi calling and volte

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Unlocked Moto phones (G4, G5, X Pure, Z) are certified to work on ATT with VoLTE. And on TMo or VZW.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

BYOD and VoLTE/HD Voice

Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Unlocked Moto phones (G4, G5, X Pure, Z) are certified to work on ATT with VoLTE. And on TMo or VZW.
    Are you sure about that? I had an X Pure and it definitely was not whitelisted for VoLTE on AT&T.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    It's the handset group of AT&T being knuckleheads towards the network group that is trying to get rid of HSPA traffic for the LTE Refarm and we are stuck in the middle.

I for one will never ever buy a carrier branded handset again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast