Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: BYOD and VoLTE/HD Voice

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0

    BYOD and VoLTE/HD Voice

    Has anyone successfully been able to get their BYOD registered with AT&T that supports VoLTE. I spent a whole 2 hours with Tech. Support, looks like they do not have ability or access to "whitelist" the IMEI. This is really frustrating my phone is a third party with full support for VoLTE, i am like a 15 years customer with AT&T, I can understand the initial rollout to restrict approved devices (of course iPhone 6 and above works regardless of how it was purchased). I am getting LTE fine, which of course requires you to use a SIM/device so it can provision the LTE properly.

    Was just curious if anyone here had success with registering a BYOD. If they did what was the process.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Forest City USCC SID 246
    Posts
    1,988
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    BYOD and VoLTE/HD Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by bekarhoo View Post
    Has anyone successfully been able to get their BYOD registered with AT&T that supports VoLTE. I spent a whole 2 hours with Tech. Support, looks like they do not have ability or access to "whitelist" the IMEI. This is really frustrating my phone is a third party with full support for VoLTE, i am like a 15 years customer with AT&T, I can understand the initial rollout to restrict approved devices (of course iPhone 6 and above works regardless of how it was purchased). I am getting LTE fine, which of course requires you to use a SIM/device so it can provision the LTE properly.

    Was just curious if anyone here had success with registering a BYOD. If they did what was the process.
    That would depend on your phone which you didn't say what it was. If it's a non AT&T phone (except iPhones) you cannot get VoLTE. It would have to be an AT&T phone if Android.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

    I am no longer a Primary Uscc User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

    My Photography www.hunterspad.net

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    That would depend on your phone which you didn't say what it was. If it's a non AT&T phone (except iPhones) you cannot get VoLTE. It would have to be an AT&T phone if Android.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi, hyelton yes it is NOT an AT&T branded phone (sorry thought I mentioned that). AT&T wants to restrict only I guess their "certified" phones to VoLTE. The EXCEPTION being iPhones, which can be NON AT&T branded and it will work .. i.e. VoLTE/HD Voice. No ONE could really explain technically what the issue is, except that it appears that they have a whitelist of devices (via IMEI range it appears) that are allowed to use it.

    Also, the device is a Xiaomi and I have verified VoLTE/WiFI calling works with a T-Mobile SIM. Really do not want to leave AT&T but if they play this kinda of game, seriously considering leaving them as T-Mobile has improved the coverage in my area.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    764
    Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bekarhoo View Post
    Hi, hyelton yes it is NOT an AT&T branded phone (sorry thought I mentioned that). AT&T wants to restrict only I guess their "certified" phones to VoLTE. The EXCEPTION being iPhones, which can be NON AT&T branded and it will work .. i.e. VoLTE/HD Voice. No ONE could really explain technically what the issue is, except that it appears that they have a whitelist of devices (via IMEI range it appears) that are allowed to use it.

    Also, the device is a Xiaomi and I have verified VoLTE/WiFI calling works with a T-Mobile SIM. Really do not want to leave AT&T but if they play this kinda of game, seriously considering leaving them as T-Mobile has improved the coverage in my area.
    CS can't help you as Xiaomi phones aren't approved for VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling with AT&T. They don't have the proper AT&T settings for it and AT&T doesn't want to give the settings out for non AT&T phones.


    Sent from my Verizon iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    CS can't help you as Xiaomi phones aren't approved for VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling with AT&T. They don't have the proper AT&T settings for it and AT&T doesn't want to give the settings out for non AT&T phones.


    Sent from my Verizon iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
    Ok, that explains it although it is baked in version of Android 6.0 and above and now that they are allowing interoperability with T-Mobile and Verizon seems odd they would still do it.. thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    764
    Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bekarhoo View Post
    Ok, that explains it although it is baked in version of Android 6.0 and above and now that they are allowing interoperability with T-Mobile and Verizon seems odd they would still do it.. thanks
    It's odd. I wish VoLTE just worked on unlocked phones or that we could just put the equivalent of a APN and just have it work.


    Sent from my Verizon iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Forest City USCC SID 246
    Posts
    1,988
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    It's odd. I wish VoLTE just worked on unlocked phones or that we could just put the equivalent of a APN and just have it work.


    Sent from my Verizon iPhone 7 using Tapatalk
    It works that way outside of the USA


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bristol, VA
    Posts
    211
    Device(s)
    AT&T Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), Verizon (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    That would depend on your phone which you didn't say what it was. If it's a non AT&T phone (except iPhones) you cannot get VoLTE. It would have to be an AT&T phone if Android.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, there are a few non-branded devices that support VoLTE (at the very least) on AT&T's network. The HTC A9, HTC 10, LeEco Le Pro 3, Axon 7, and the Alcatel POP 4+ all support VoLTE on AT&T's network.

    There's this misconseption going around that only branded devices and iPhones get VoLTE, when the reality is, AT&T requires a device to be certified for their network to use VoLTE (and other IMS services).

    I believe the Axon 7 was recently white-listed/certified, hence why it may of just started working.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,188
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bekarhoo View Post
    Ok, that explains it although it is baked in version of Android 6.0 and above and now that they are allowing interoperability with T-Mobile and Verizon seems odd they would still do it.. thanks
    The only phones I know of unlocked are the HTC A9 and 10. They had them certified on T's network.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    balleron,
    That is what I understood it to be from the CSR, that "whitelisting" is essentially their certification. So how does one go about at least requesting the certification?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    764
    Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bekarhoo View Post
    balleron,
    That is what I understood it to be from the CSR, that "whitelisting" is essentially their certification. So how does one go about at least requesting the certification?
    Sorry the manufacturer is the only party who can request certification.


    Sent from my Verizon iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    tacoma
    Posts
    257
    Device(s)
    Galaxy s7 edge, nexus 6p as a backup
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ironically I had a Nexus 6 which they did sell, and still couldn't get volte. Wish they were more open like all the other carriers, that was my main reason buying a Galaxy S7 was to take advantage of WiFi calling and volte

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using HoFo mobile app

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    199
    Feedback Score
    0
    Unlocked Moto phones (G4, G5, X Pure, Z) are certified to work on ATT with VoLTE. And on TMo or VZW.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chicago/Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    2,969
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    BYOD and VoLTE/HD Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Unlocked Moto phones (G4, G5, X Pure, Z) are certified to work on ATT with VoLTE. And on TMo or VZW.
    Are you sure about that? I had an X Pure and it definitely was not whitelisted for VoLTE on AT&T.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,235
    Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's the handset group of AT&T being knuckleheads towards the network group that is trying to get rid of HSPA traffic for the LTE Refarm and we are stuck in the middle.

    I for one will never ever buy a carrier branded handset again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 65
    Last Post: 08-08-2016, 09:14 PM
  2. AT&T announces VoLTE / HD Voice rollout
    By hayburner in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-24-2016, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 12:02 PM
  4. VoLTE/HD Voice Map vs Actual Area
    By Shizam76 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-09-2015, 12:25 AM
  5. VoLTE, HD voice or FT audio ??
    By RazMonster in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2014, 04:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks