Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mobley or Unite Explore/Velocity Hotspot?

Feedback Score

Mobley or Unite Explore/Velocity Hotspot?

Just moving into new home in rural area. We will be getting gig fiber for home internet in approx 6-9 months but in interim at suggestion from this forum got a Mobley on a $20 connected car plan. Mobley works ok but since it only allows 5 devices to connect wondered if we should do a real hotspot but use Mobley SIM? Will have several Directv connections, 2 wireless printers, 2 laptops and a NEST thermostat.

I have never been rural or without at least DSL so need advice. Can a hotspot just be left on/plugged in constantly with a Mobley SIM?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Thanks but if you read my post I am looking for a temporary fix and use my Mobley or the Mobley SIM.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You understand AT&T can block using sim in another device or cancel account at any time as more people use this new plan in ways that violate the T&C? The Rural plan is designed for your usage. That's why I posted that article.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I would go for the explore. It has more bands and features. There has been much discussion on sim swapping on these plans. The way I see it worst case they (att) would prolly warn you first.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if you can run the unite explore plugged in without the battery?

Feedback Score
    Until AT&T changes the T&C it technically isn't a violation to swap Sims. As long as you don't put Sims for one type of device in a different device. But the terms you have to read when signing up for the Mobley direct you to the wireless terms and right now they don't have connected car listed as a separate device so it would have to fall under hotspots. You're allowed to swap Sims among hotspots. So I think the OP would be fine putting the sim in like a Unite Explore. But if you really want to play it safe you can buy the Asus T-mobile router on amazon and tether the Mobley to the router. That will bypass the 5 device limit and will even allow wired connections to the ethernet ports.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    Until AT&T changes the T&C it technically isn't a violation to swap Sims. As long as you don't put Sims for one type of device in a different device. But the terms you have to read when signing up for the Mobley direct you to the wireless terms and right now they don't have connected car listed as a separate device so it would have to fall under hotspots. You're allowed to swap Sims among hotspots. So I think the OP would be fine putting the sim in like a Unite Explore. But if you really want to play it safe you can buy the Asus T-mobile router on amazon and tether the Mobley to the router. That will bypass the 5 device limit and will even allow wired connections to the ethernet ports.
    If you go back to Page 28-30 on the 100+ page thread there's an in-depth discussion on this.

To the OP, it depends on a few things:

1) If your area has Band 29/30 or not
    2) If your area has Carrier Aggregation or not
    3) If you need an external antenna

If the answer to all three is no, then a Mobley connected to an ASUS 3G-enabled router (via USB) is my best suggestion.

If the answer to any of the above three is yes, then I would use a Unite Explore tethered over USB to an ASUS 3G-enabled router via USB. The Unite Pro has Wi-Fi issues that limit speed, and while the Explore doesn't as much... USB tethering to an ASUS (or OpenWRT with RNDIS) router will produce the best results.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Phone.news (Temp Mod Note: Non-profit)

Feedback Score
    Yes I remember the discussion about IMEI checks and AT&T not caring etc. I was only referring to the T&C violation. Was hoping someone could point me to the terms that say it's a violation because the ones I've read it is technically ok to do sim swapping.

But yes tethering would be the best.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the hotspot info. However, I have no clue what this means or how to find this stuff out:

To the OP, it depends on a few things:

1) If your area has Band 29/30 or not
    2) If your area has Carrier Aggregation or not
    3) If you need an external antenna

Can you help a girl out and explain where and how I can find this information? When I first purchased the Mobley, I believe it was Mexican-Bum who suggested I flash my old Netgear router (which I have done but not hooked up). He gave a detailed tutorial which I have printed off, but I will need specific step-by-step instructions if have to go the hotspot tethered route! We are in rural Western Colorado (Paonia) and although we have the ATT Mobley, our cellphones are Verizon.
    Last edited by AspenQn; 04-03-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    First, don't feel so bad. This is not always easy for the experts to sort out! A lot of devices, simply refuse to say what band you're connected to.

To really know for sure, you need to test with a device that supports all of the above. An iPhone 6 or iPhone 7 will tell you. As will any Android phone that explicitly supports Band 29/30 (after installing the app LTE Discovery or any similar app).

The Unite Explore, I know will tell you in the menus what band you are connected to, but it will not say if Carrier Aggregation is used.

Band 29/30 will give you better signal strength if it is being deployed in your area. Carrier Aggregation is similar to shotgun internet connections - it lets your phone establish two simultaneous radio frequency (band) connections to better talk to the tower (in other words, much faster).

Unfortunately, no carrier today publishes a map that will tell you this information. Yes, it's lame. Yes, we all wish they did.

If you can't sort it out, I'd go with a Unite Explore. That supports all of the above and is sure to give you the best speeds, especially when you USB tether it to a capable router (like an ASUS router that supports 3G modems).

Device(s)
    Too Many
    Carrier(s)
    All Four
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post
    Yes I remember the discussion about IMEI checks and AT&T not caring etc. I was only referring to the T&C violation. Was hoping someone could point me to the terms that say it's a violation because the ones I've read it is technically ok to do sim swapping.

But yes tethering would be the best.
    So, it hinges on a few things open to interpretation - but that AT&T clearly hasn't shut the door explicitly to. The CCSUDP (Connected Car Standalone Unlimited Data Plan) says you must have a Mobley to activate. It does not explicitly say you can't move it to other DataConnect devices.

The T&C does prohibit moving to other device types that aren't DataConnect devices like a smartphone. However, the new AT&T Unlimited plans do allow for that kind of SIM swapping explicitly. So, if the CCSUDP is under the new Unlimited plan umbrella, that too would be okay unless explicitly denied.

Personally I think AT&T is testing to see how many people SIM swap, and will simply stop offering the plan if they don't see a profit here.

I think they're trying to generate as many new lines of service as possible to unseat Verizon as the #1 carrier in terms of postpay subscribers. If AT&T gets 10 million CCSUDPs, and they all use Nexus/Pixel devices, I think someone on the CCSUDP plan will probably get a promotion. That would be $200 million in revenue - per month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    So, it hinges on a few things open to interpretation - but that AT&T clearly hasn't shut the door explicitly to. The CCSUDP (Connected Car Standalone Unlimited Data Plan) says you must have a Mobley to activate. It does not explicitly say you can't move it to other DataConnect devices.

The T&C does prohibit moving to other device types that aren't DataConnect devices like a smartphone. However, the new AT&T Unlimited plans do allow for that kind of SIM swapping explicitly. So, if the CCSUDP is under the new Unlimited plan umbrella, that too would be okay unless explicitly denied.

Personally I think AT&T is testing to see how many people SIM swap, and will simply stop offering the plan if they don't see a profit here.

I think they're trying to generate as many new lines of service as possible to unseat Verizon as the #1 carrier in terms of postpay subscribers. If AT&T gets 10 million CCSUDPs, and they all use Nexus/Pixel devices, I think someone on the CCSUDP plan will probably get a promotion. That would be $200 million in revenue - per month.
    I did know about the other device types but since one of the device types is not connected car the only thing it could fall under is hotspots. So that's why I'm comfortable with sim swapping for now because as you said AT&T hasn't explicitly said you're not allowed to do it. And the terms you have to agree to back that up as you said as long as you don't put the sim in a phone or tablet etc. I didn't know that you could swap Sims among different device types with the new plans. Because they direct you to those same wireless terms. I knew you could add hotspots etc but I thought each line had to be setup for the right type of device. So that's a cool fact to know. I didn't know that. But yes I don't see a crackdown happening until they change the terms if that ever happens and of course they will give notice when the terms change. I happily use my Mobley with an adapter I built but I also have an Explore that I'll use with my Mobley sim when I start my traveling season in a couple of weeks. I was just trying to make sure all of the info was out there for the op since someone said it's a violation of the T&C to sim swap (which we can agree it isn't yet)

And yes if you're not sure what your area has just get an Explore. As Haton said you could just tether to one of those USB routers. But the Explore also has its own cradle available. The cheaper option would be to get a T-mobile router and USB tether. I thought I saw the step by step setup instructions for that but I'll have to find them. The easier option would be using the netgear cradle. It should pretty much be plug and play with very little setup. But you will pay way more for that ease of setup. I'll post the link to the netgear cradle below.

Netgear DC112A-100NAS AirCard 4G LTE Signal Boosting Smart Cradle Router https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X3QV7LX..._Yb54yb7NYP7PW

Feedback Score

Mobley or Unite Explore/Velocity Hotspot?

Quote Originally Posted by Slagish View Post
    Does anyone know if you can run the unite explore plugged in without the battery?
    No, it does not. I just tried the United Explore by removing the battery and plugging in the USB cord. It light up and displays the AT&T striped globe, but it never goes past that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    No, it does not. I just tried the United Explore by removing the battery and plugging in the USB cord. It light up and displays the AT&T striped globe, but it never goes past that.
    Just wondering why you would want to run without a battery? If you worried about the battery's health the explore will take care of it. Mine is always plugged in and it automatically will allow the battery to drop down some and then slowly trickle charge it self back up. I had no idea it did that until I saw a message on the screen that it was maintaining the battery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast