Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 22GB deprioritization is in, why go ULD?

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $45 / 8 GB
    Feedback Score

22GB deprioritization is in, why go ULD?

So since the 22 GB deprioritization (soft cap) is in effect, why you want to pay ULD plan? This is not really Unlimited plan anymore, you will get slowed down after hitting 22GB and mostly you will since most of us are in cities of AT&T congestion.
    Any thought on this? Cricket stores themselves try to find explanation or idea to help customers understand more of this issue that it's not really unlimited anymore. Protecting network??

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, LG G3, Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Project Fi, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    So since the 22 GB deprioritization (soft cap) is in effect, why you want to pay ULD plan? This is not really Unlimited plan anymore, you will get slowed down after hitting 22GB and mostly you will since most of us are in cities of AT&T congestion.
    Any thought on this? Cricket stores themselves try to find explanation or idea to help customers understand more of this issue that it's not really unlimited anymore. Protecting network??
    Cricket is the last to join the deprioritization team. It's not a guaranteed slowdown, nor do we know what speed will be seen. It may not actually limit you to say, 128k, it might just move you down to getting what you can vs full speed lane. As far as cricket plans go, even if it was a hard throttle cap, the ULD plan still offers more than double the smart plan for only $10 more. And 10GB more than the pro plan for the same price. It's also still a better deal than AT&T direct or GoPhone. As those are limited to 3Mbps and cannot disable stream more. Our 8/4Mbps throttle alone is worth buying ULD vs other att options. Just wait for the tests and we'll see just how relevant the 22GB softcap is. No need to spread FUD that it's a guaranteed slowdown or harsh impact. Just wait and see.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    What is the point of paying $60 ULD plan since you know that once 22GB hit, you will not be able to use data as normal speed, it works certain part of town but no data another part of town, basically a guessing game where your data work after 22GB. Morning works then evening no data... I guess because congestion

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So far I'm at 26gb, with no slowdown yet. I'm in Brooklyn, NY. Please remember 22gb is only a soft cap and you are only affected when the tower is congested.

Sent from my LEX727 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Because some people will always abuse the unlimited term so the wireless carriers have to have protections in place to cover the 99% of customers who don't abuse it and also pay their bills.

Deprioritization is not throttling to 128 kbs (unless your carrier is US Cellular anyways). It simply means that if a tower is crowded with people, anyone who has used more than 22 GB during that pay period is probably going to wait for those other people who aren't over the 22 GB limit. If you are the only person on the tower, then there is a reasonable chance you won't notice a thing.

There is only so much bandwidth available for their customers. Like anything else, it's a shared resource.

I remember the days of 802.11b -- the more people on the wireless router, the slower the speeds for everyone on it.

Cable/DSL/fiber has exponentially more bandwidth available to their customers than wireless. It's the reason why wireless companies are paying billions of dollars to acquire more.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buglewe View Post
    So far I'm at 26gb, with no slowdown yet. I'm in Brooklyn, NY. Please remember 22gb is only a soft cap and you are only affected when the tower is congested.

Sent from my LEX727 using HoFo mobile app
    I'm STUCK at 18.6GB. My usage from my account dropped from 20.1 to 18.6 and has stayed there. I've used about 4GB since and it's still reporting 18.6GB even after killing the app, restarting, etc.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post
    I'm STUCK at 18.6GB. My usage from my account dropped from 20.1 to 18.6 and has stayed there. I've used about 4GB since and it's still reporting 18.6GB even after killing the app, restarting, etc.
    What? It seems the counter meter messed up, so bugs around....
    I think Cricket should call their $60 ($55) a 22 GB plan instead of ULD Once you call it 22 GB plan people understand that you get full speed and such till 22 after 22 you are not getting full speed due to deprioritization and congestion. It will save Cricket time and money at store or online trying to explain to customers what they will get with $60 plan.
    Call it 22 GB plan instead of Unlimited.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think Cricket should call their $60 ($55) a 22 GB plan instead of ULD Once you call it 22 GB plan people understand that you get full speed and such till 22 after 22 you are not getting full speed due to deprioritization and congestion. It will save Cricket time and money at store or online trying to explain to customers what they will get with $60 plan.
    ... You do know you get full speed after 22GB right? You only see slowdowns during times of congestion, such as... When you ALREADY see slowdowns. When a tower is congested, it impacts everyone already. Cricket (and EVERY other carrier) just puts your priority lower if you are over 22GB. Afternoon rush, ball games, etc should see slowdowns, or cities where they have limited spectrum. Otherwise all other times you still get full speed. Comparing deprioritization to hard throttle is very stupid and has nothing in common. People are already over 22GB and no one has reported any kind of change, even in crowded cities like Brooklyn. It's also likely to reset the counter with a plan change as I will test when I can. Stop throwing around FUD and whatnot, sit back, let us do tests, and figure out exactly how this really affects us.

TL;DR congestion is congestion, over 22 or not everyone feels it. Throttle is throttle, no matter what it's slow. Do not compare them.

Feedback Score
    Protecting network? YES!

They need to build in this protection otherwise you could have a few people running unlimited speedtests and streaming HD video 24/7 just because they can. I wouldn't put it past some morons to create an app that just streams 1080p video 24/7 just so people can make sure they are "getting their money's worth" even though they aren't watching it. Kinda like the fatty at the buffet who goes up and gets another plateful of food, then eats one bite and says "I'm full" and throws it away. But hey, it was ALL YOU CAN EAT so why would I even consider whether or not I might not be hungry enough to eat another full plate.....the "American way".....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Protecting network? YES!

They need to build in this protection otherwise you could have a few people running unlimited speedtests and streaming HD video 24/7 just because they can. I wouldn't put it past some morons to create an app that just streams 1080p video 24/7 just so people can make sure they are "getting their money's worth" even though they aren't watching it. Kinda like the fatty at the buffet who goes up and gets another plateful of food, then eats one bite and says "I'm full" and throws it away. But hey, it was ALL YOU CAN EAT so why would I even consider whether or not I might not be hungry enough to eat another full plate.....the "American way".....
    Amen, not to mention some who stream for perkTV, other crazy schemes, etc. There are always the few who spoil it for the rest of the people.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skreelink View Post
    ... You do know you get full speed after 22GB right? You only see slowdowns during times of congestion, such as... When you ALREADY see slowdowns. When a tower is congested, it impacts everyone already. Cricket (and EVERY other carrier) just puts your priority lower if you are over 22GB. Afternoon rush, ball games, etc should see slowdowns, or cities where they have limited spectrum. Otherwise all other times you still get full speed. Comparing deprioritization to hard throttle is very stupid and has nothing in common. People are already over 22GB and no one has reported any kind of change, even in crowded cities like Brooklyn. It's also likely to reset the counter with a plan change as I will test when I can. Stop throwing around FUD and whatnot, sit back, let us do tests, and figure out exactly how this really affects us.

TL;DR congestion is congestion, over 22 or not everyone feels it. Throttle is throttle, no matter what it's slow. Do not compare them.
    Thank you, you explain better than some Cricket store mgrs! At this moment, many Cricket stores are finding ways to explain exactly you said here to potential and existing customers. Ton and ton of questions are coming in.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O (AT&T), Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    .....the "American way".....
    Exactly, this is America . . . . the land of PLENTY!!

Feedback Score
    No way around deprioritization even with ATT Post Paid Unlimited plans.

One trick that remains to be seen is if data resets when you switch plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    Because some people will always abuse the unlimited term so the wireless carriers have to have protections in place to cover the 99% of customers who don't abuse it and also pay their bills.

Deprioritization is not throttling to 128 kbs (unless your carrier is US Cellular anyways). It simply means that if a tower is crowded with people, anyone who has used more than 22 GB during that pay period is probably going to wait for those other people who aren't over the 22 GB limit. If you are the only person on the tower, then there is a reasonable chance you won't notice a thing.

There is only so much bandwidth available for their customers. Like anything else, it's a shared resource.

I remember the days of 802.11b -- the more people on the wireless router, the slower the speeds for everyone on it.

Cable/DSL/fiber has exponentially more bandwidth available to their customers than wireless. It's the reason why wireless companies are paying billions of dollars to acquire more.
    Respectfully, using the data plan you paid for is being a wise consumer, and is not ever "abuse".

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Why should Cricket be any different than any other carrier post-Verizon announcing an Unlimited plan. And it is unlimited, you have unlimited access to data which says nothing about speed.

The fact is deprioritization just means you are going to feel slow down on a congested tower first. If a tower gets congested enough then everyone is going to feel it. So it is not a cap ala the high-speed limited. It is threshold wherein your packets are pushed to the back of the queue. You may feel it, may never notice it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast