Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best way to get new SIM card to upgrade Mom's phone

Feedback Score

Best way to get new SIM card to upgrade Mom's phone

Mom currently using iPhone 4S (yes I know)

Thinking of getting her a 6 which I believe uses a smaller SIM than the 4S (although maybe I am wrong about that?)

If it indeed uses a smaller SIM then what do I need to do? Go onto her line on my Cricket Account website and "order new SIM" or something? Or buy a refurbed Lumia and just take that SIM and put it in her phone and it will work fine? Then Ebay the Lumia?

Feedback Score
    Just get a nano-sim cutter from Amazon for $5-$6, and you'll be able to adapt any future SIMs from larger size to nano.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Just get a nano-sim cutter from Amazon for $5-$6, and you'll be able to adapt any future SIMs from larger size to nano.
    I recently bought the refurbed lumia 650 for 99c and it came with a nano card. They currently have the Lumia 640, HTC 625 and 626s for 99 cents as well. There's also a ZTE that I think might be too old to have a nano card (probably the same micro one you have now), but I'd check and see what size the lumia 640 or HTC 62x uses. I'll bet one of them has a nano sized card which it would come with. For 99c, you don't even need to bother selling the phone on ebay if you don't feel like it. Just keep it as a backup at that price!
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Lumia 640 will ship with micro.

According to GSMArena, HTC 626s and 625 use nano sim.

Feedback Score
    cutting a sim is no big deal. I cut a few micro down to nano by hand the other week. Apparently, some cell phone shops will do it for you. Haven't tried that myself.

Personally I would go with one of the free or $1 phones if you can wait a couple of days for delivery. That way you have a shot at the newer white sim and will get the proxy upgrade for lower pings - not that your mom may care about that.

Use gsmarena or another spec site like that to check the sim sizes before you order anything.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    I've cut a few by hand using an x-acto knife but you need a nano as a template. The nano sims also seem a little thinner than the micro sim. Not sure I want to trust a hand cut sim that is a little thicker in height in one of the iPhone sim trays. I did it for awhile and it worked fine in my 5s but eventually ordered the Lumia 650 for $0.99 and it shipped with a white nano sim. So now I'm on ATT servers as well as having the correct sim for my device.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    Stop by a cell shop and they should cut it cheap or free. Also good to stock up on sims when on sale.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    Not going to spend 6 bucks to cut a 2 year old SIM when I could spend 99 cents to get a new SIM and a phone with it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    I've cut a few by hand using an x-acto knife but you need a nano as a template. The nano sims also seem a little thinner than the micro sim. Not sure I want to trust a hand cut sim that is a little thicker in height in one of the iPhone sim trays. I did it for awhile and it worked fine in my 5s but eventually ordered the Lumia 650 for $0.99 and it shipped with a white nano sim. So now I'm on ATT servers as well as having the correct sim for my device.
    I just used scissors to free hand cut mine. I will admit they were just old sims for purposes of unlocking phones, not for regular use. If I was going for long term use, I would have been more careful and traced an outline using a nano or printed one of those online cutting templates. An exacto would have been more precise too, but scissors worked surprisingly well even for trimming the edges a little.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Not going to spend 6 bucks to cut a 2 year old SIM when I could spend 99 cents to get a new SIM and a phone with it
    Why don't you just get the HTC Desire 625 refurb for .99 cents as it comes with a new "white" nano SIM card that will fit the iPhone 6. Your mom will also get upgraded to the AT&T server and won't have to worry about any MMS issues.

You can then have a cheap spare phone or sell it for $40 easy if you don't want it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    Why don't you just get the HTC Desire 625 refurb for .99 cents as it comes with a new "white" nano SIM card that will fit the iPhone 6. Your mom will also get upgraded to the AT&T server and won't have to worry about any MMS issues.

You can then have a cheap spare phone or sell it for $40 easy if you don't want it.
    What is the best phone that I might use for my son should I issue him a smartphone on Cricket? I have a brand new LG Tribute HD that I was gonna use on RingPlus, (right now he still has a flipphone on Ting and moving to Tello real soon as Ting is ridiculous expensive....but I'm not sure a smartphone and Tello makes much sense vs full on Cricket at the end of the day if you are gonna use data for real)

Also if I buy this now, can the SIM card sit for 2 months until we buy the iPhone for my Mom? Meaning she can keep using what she has now and then I can pop in the SIM later (it doesn't "EXPIRE" or anything right?)

Feedback Score
    Ah heck I just ordered one of those HTC Desires for my line as an "upgrade" to my current Galaxy S6 (HaHa!)

I kinda like the idea of spending a buck to get the new SIM card, and having a spare phone I could give to my son or sell on Ebay.

I may order a second on my Mom's line. In fact maybe I should order a third on my wife's line too.

DOES DOING THIS "LOCK" MY ACCOUNT OR EACH LINE UNTIL I DO SOMETHING/ACTIVATE THE NEW PHONE? Or can I just pop the new SIM into my current Galaxy S6 and then the new sim is "activated" and then I could order another phone later if I wanted? Not that I want to begin hoarding HTC Desire phones, but wouldn't want to lock myself out should there be a Cyber Monday sale on GS7s or something.....

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Ah heck I just ordered one of those HTC Desires for my line as an "upgrade" to my current Galaxy S6 (HaHa!)

I kinda like the idea of spending a buck to get the new SIM card, and having a spare phone I could give to my son or sell on Ebay.

I may order a second on my Mom's line. In fact maybe I should order a third on my wife's line too.

DOES DOING THIS "LOCK" MY ACCOUNT OR EACH LINE UNTIL I DO SOMETHING/ACTIVATE THE NEW PHONE? Or can I just pop the new SIM into my current Galaxy S6 and then the new sim is "activated" and then I could order another phone later if I wanted? Not that I want to begin hoarding HTC Desire phones, but wouldn't want to lock myself out should there be a Cyber Monday sale on GS7s or something.....
    I wouldn't sit on the fence too long.. the HTC 626s already sold-out and I would guess the HTC 625 is very limited refurb inventory as well.

Yes, you can activate the SIM and put it in your Galaxy S6 if you want and order more. These .99c phones are no-brainers!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    I wouldn't sit on the fence too long.. the HTC 626s already sold-out and I would guess the HTC 625 is very limited refurb inventory as well.

Yes, you can activate the SIM and put it in your Galaxy S6 if you want and order more. These .99c phones are no-brainers!
    But if I order one on my wife's line but I never activate the SIM, then her line is not available for an upgrade forever until I activate that SIM right?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    But if I order one on my wife's line but I never activate the SIM, then her line is not available for an upgrade forever until I activate that SIM right?
    I'm not really sure how Cricket deals with that over time. I've read conflicting experiences.

In my case, I upgraded and received the first phone and didn't activate the SIM. Ordered another .99c phone no problem a week or so later and did activate the 2nd SIM card without any issues.

I was told by Cricket support once that SIM cards do "expire" after some time but they wouldn't elaborate on what the exact time frame is. Who knows...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast