Thread: ATT phone on Verizon, will it work?

Feedback Score

ATT phone on Verizon, will it work?

I just did a www.wilmyphonework.com for the ATT variant of the Samsung S5 active and saw that it cannot get 2g or 3g but it has two bands of lte.

So, if I get a plan that has enough data on a VW plan, will I be able to use this phone soley on mobile data? Can I not just place all calls through mobile data as well?

Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    I just did a www.wilmyphonework.com for the ATT variant of the Samsung S5 active and saw that it cannot get 2g or 3g but it has two bands of lte.

So, if I get a plan that has enough data on a VW plan, will I be able to use this phone soley on mobile data? Can I not just place all calls through mobile data as well?

Verizon does not whitelist AT&T phones. They won't allow it on their network. As you noted, the ATT phone does not have CDMA. It is not a good fit for Vz service. Even it Vz did whitelist it, it probably wouldn't do VoLTE.

Dead end.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Verizon does not whitelist AT&T phones. They won't allow it on their network. As you noted, the ATT phone does not have CDMA. It is not a good fit for Vz service. Even it Vz did whitelist it, it probably wouldn't do VoLTE.

Dead end.
    I am not looking for VOLTE I am looking for something like looking google hangout dialer to place calls. I know that the dialer allows me to call other cell lines, I have done it.

So would the ATT phone be able to allow data? I am just looking for data.

Feedback Score
    I am not looking for VOLTE I am looking for something like looking google hangout dialer to place calls. I know that the dialer allows me to call other cell lines, I have done it.

So would the ATT phone be able to allow data? I am just looking for data.
    No. Verizon will not allow the phone on their network for any kind of service. Hangouts, and other VOIP apps, will work over Wifi.

Feedback Score

Best option is to put it on an AT&T or T-Mobile MVNO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkee View Post
    Best option is to put it on an AT&T or T-Mobile MVNO
    The best option of the best option is to use it only on ATT.
    I am not sure if it is a common occurence in general or if it is a common occurence on Verizon branded phones, but my Moto E2 on Verizon locked itself and did not allow an ATT MVNO after 2 years of being on an ATT mvno, and I did not even put in a VW or a VW mvno sim, I just changed the sim from one ATT mvno to another ATT mvno.
    So I now say that people should use brand phones for specific carriers or get a factory unlocked that is multicarrier like the g4 play or S7 or the iphone s6 etc.

What do you think?

Feedback Score
    The best option of the best option is to use it only on ATT.
    I am not sure if it is a common occurence in general or if it is a common occurence on Verizon branded phones, but my Moto E2 on Verizon locked itself and did not allow an ATT MVNO after 2 years of being on an ATT mvno, and I did not even put in a VW or a VW mvno sim, I just changed the sim from one ATT mvno to another ATT mvno.
    So I now say that people should use brand phones for specific carriers or get a factory unlocked that is multicarrier like the g4 play or S7 or the iphone s6 etc.

What do you think?
    I think the Moto E is a Verizon Prepaid phone and they have rules about how they can be used somewhere other than Vz Prepaid.

Otherwise, Verizon phones since something like 2013 are carrier unlocked for GSM. They did not do this out of the kindness of their hearts. They made a deal with the FCC to do this in order to get access to some desirable spectrum.

If the Moto G 4 Play had been available when I started buying phones, I would have bought one for the flexibility.

Feedback Score
    I think the Moto E is a Verizon Prepaid phone and they have rules about how they can be used somewhere other than Vz Prepaid.

Otherwise, Verizon phones since something like 2013 are carrier unlocked for GSM. They did not do this out of the kindness of their hearts. They made a deal with the FCC to do this in order to get access to some desirable spectrum.

If the Moto G 4 Play had been available when I started buying phones, I would have bought one for the flexibility.
    If the deal with FCC was to allow it to be unlocked, so why did it become licked after 2 years of working fine and well in am ATT mvno?

Feedback Score
    If the deal with FCC was to allow it to be unlocked, so why did it become licked after 2 years of working fine and well in am ATT mvno?
    I should have said Verizon postpaid phones have been GSM unlocked since about 2013.

Only Verizon knows for sure why your Moto E became locked after 2 years of working on ATT. It probably went something like this: Verizon Prepaid phones were sold with the terms of service that you had to use it on Verizon Prepaid for at least one month. About a year ago they changed that to one year. Early on they were not very good at enforcing that. They have probably gotten better at it.

There used to be a trick where you could put a good Verizon SIM in it to get it registered then swap in a Tracfone CDMA SIM for Tracfone service, thereby bypassing the requirement to pay for Vz Prepaid service for a period of time. Don't know if that still works.

Feedback Score
    I should have said Verizon postpaid phones have been GSM unlocked since about 2013.

Only Verizon knows for sure why your Moto E became locked after 2 years of working on ATT. It probably went something like this: Verizon Prepaid phones were sold with the terms of service that you had to use it on Verizon Prepaid for at least one month. About a year ago they changed that to one year. Early on they were not very good at enforcing that. They have probably gotten better at it.

There used to be a trick where you could put a good Verizon SIM in it to get it registered then swap in a Tracfone CDMA SIM for Tracfone service, thereby bypassing the requirement to pay for Vz Prepaid service for a period of time. Don't know if that still works.
    But now we must use it for one year on verizon prepaid?
    This kills any chance of someone getting the prepaid discounted phones and using them elsewhere.
    Well from a technical point, cudos VW, you got your act together. From a consumer point of view, better get a carrier branded phone for your specific carrier or get a factory unlocked phone.
    But interesting is that I am now using a verizon phone, but not a prepaid verizon phone, will that have the same restrictions of requiring the phone to be on verizon for one year to allow it to be on ATT without an issue or that one year thing was only for the prepaid phones?

Feedback Score
    I tried an international GSM phone (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) with an activated Verizon SIM. The 4G LTE works on it, perhaps the phone has one of the LTE bands that by coincidence verizon uses. But no text or voice. So even if the ATT Galaxy S5 works with a Verizon SIM card somehow, the service is not guaranteed because carriers may use different bands in different area. OP can try the Moto G4/G5 US version which should be compatible with Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by biopig View Post
    I tried an international GSM phone (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) with an activated Verizon SIM. The 4G LTE works on it, perhaps the phone has one of the LTE bands that by coincidence verizon uses. But no text or voice. So even if the ATT Galaxy S5 works with a Verizon SIM card somehow, the service is not guaranteed because carriers may use different bands in different area. OP can try the Moto G4/G5 US version which should be compatible with Verizon.
    The g4 g5 seem to have done something right, ai hope that others follow their example