Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boom and roaming on Big Red. Just what is the coverage?

Device(s)
    Samsung Smooth (U350)
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Boom and roaming on Big Red. Just what is the coverage?

I think the title says it all, but I'm just wondering if anyone truly has a good handle on the actual coverage? I know it's been discussed on another thread, but the thread has taken many different turns and is sort of hard to follow.
    War Eagle!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    So people don't have to dig through the other thread here are some posts from from Jeff that explain the coverage issue/question:
    .... The one item that I will address is the network that is being used by us [Boom! Mobile] through Big Red. There is multiple networks that Red allows others to use. I will list them out in order of least amount of coverage to most. The most common is the prepaid network (Tracfone, Selectel and VZW Prepapid) and then you have the postpaid network w/ extended area (Boom! Mobile) and lastly is the postpaid network w extended area and roaming outside of extended (VZW Postpaid). Through our migration we gave up a little to add some key features moving forward and those will be announced later today. I hope this sheds some light on the subject. Please know that Big Red drives most of our abilities and we choose to stay on the postpaid network with extended area because we want to set ourselves apart from our competition.
    And this post from Jeff:
    I have already given you as much info as we have on roaming. The press release will deal with new items that are being released. We are using the postpaid network with extended coverage. All calls that don't fit into footprint will be considered roaming and we will not be able to process them. Big Red has many friendly roaming agreements that fit into the extended coverage area and then they have not very friendly roaming agreements. I have ask and been waiting on a coverage map to share but at this point we don't have one. All we know at this point is the footprint is bigger than prepaid and smaller than Big Red themselves.
    And this partial post from Jeff:
    So when we ask our provider for a coverage map this is the answer we get: https://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/d...veragelocator/

Feedback Score
    >Boom and roaming on Big Red. Just what is the coverage?

You already know the answer: It's somewhere between prepaid and postpaid w/ roaming. There is no map.

I think it's irrelevant to know what Boom's coverage map looks like, or how it compares to prepaid/postpaid/extended/yadayada. What's relevant is how it applies to you. You find out just as you would with any provider: Get a trial sub, and see if your location(s) have coverage. That's it.

Edit: Assuming VoLTE expands voice coverage, that would be a new wrinkle to take into account. This would only be relevant if you have one of the handful of VoLTE-capable phones, or if you're planning to buy one.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >Boom and roaming on Big Red. Just what is the coverage?
    This would only be relevant if you have one of the handful of VoLTE-capable phones, or if you're planning to buy one.
    Wonder how many actual VoLTE capable phones there really are out there. Prior to leaving VZW I had HD Calling/Advanced Calling (supposedly VoLTE) enabled on a three year old Droid Mini. Lost it when I ported to Boom Mobile. To enable the feature (if available and if the Droid Mini software supports it) on a Droid Mini, see the following Moto link.

Feedback Score
    It appears that Boom has dropped all support for roaming. At least that is what they say.

However, they do offer Extended Area coverage. But is this LTE only or does it include CDMA voice also?

If not, it puts them behind Selectel on this one issue. Selectel plans to give a small amount of free roaming (12 minutes) and then 25 cent per minute paid roaming. I know it is not working quite yet but they are saying it will.

There are definitional issues as to whether Boom may still offer an unknown degree of voice access in extended areas, and also with VoLTE, that they do not call "roaming".
    Last edited by comintel; 04-04-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    .... However there are definitional issues as to whether Boom may perhaps still offer an unknown degree of voice access in extended areas, and also with VoLTE, that they do not call "roaming".
    We already have one confirmed CDMA "roaming" area still working. (For this I'm not getting into the semantics of roaming vs. extended.) Please check post 1866 in this thread:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-(vzw)/page94

I'm hoping others will chime in with actual usage examples to help us sort this out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post
    We already have one confirmed CDMA "roaming" area still working. (For this I'm not getting into the semantics of roaming vs. extended.) Please check post 1866 in this thread:

I'm hoping others will chime in with actual usage examples to help us sort this out.

Very good!

So they key question will be, is this a special case, or does Boom offer free CDMA voice roaming generally across all (or most) extended areas? If the latter, there may be no problem for most areas and Boom would probably still be ahead of Selectel after all since Selectel charges (beyond 12 free minutes per month). I would guess though, that even if so, there will still be some non-extended areas where Selectel may still roam, but not Boost.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise View Post

I'm not sure if you can consider this as roaming or not. JeffH is calling it extended coverage. I don't really care what it's called as long as I'm getting coverage in a non native Verizon area, and it's free, I'm a happy camper.

I also think this thread is a great idea, bwevans. If anybody who gets non native Verizon coverage would post about it in this thread I think it could be a big help to someone else.

Feedback Score
    I plan on staying with Boom! for now, but I agree w others in this and other posts. I do feel slightly mislead by their "roaming" offering. While technically they are not lying, it does feel misleading that they have a "roaming policy" but dont offer true roaming as most would understand it (i.e. you can use a Sprint tower, but still be on Boom). Their "roaming" was just the Verizon Extended network, which I dont think most people understand.

Either way, their price point is nice and they now offer VoLTE. I also like the no tax option....for some reason I always hated seeing taxes on my bill .

The good news - there is competition in the wireless market! Feel free to shop around if you are not happy!

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b-slice View Post
    I plan on staying with Boom! for now, but I agree w others in this and other posts. I do feel slightly mislead by their "roaming" offering. While technically they are not lying, it does feel misleading that they have a "roaming policy" but dont offer true roaming as most would understand it (i.e. you can use a Sprint tower, but still be on Boom). Their "roaming" was just the Verizon Extended network, which I dont think most people understand.

Either way, their price point is nice and they now offer VoLTE. I also like the no tax option....for some reason I always hated seeing taxes on my bill .

The good news - there is competition in the wireless market! Feel free to shop around if you are not happy!
    No it changed when we made the migration to just the VZW extended network which is still a bigger footprint than the prepaid network and there isn't an extra per min charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H. View Post
    No it changed when we made the migration to just the VZW extended network which is still a bigger footprint than the prepaid network and there isn't an extra per min charge.

Will the double dialing remain, or is that something you can get rid of.

Feedback Score
    >I do feel slightly mislead by their "roaming" offering.

Do you also feel misled by the introduction of VoLTE? That certainly wasn't in Boom's advertising prior to today.

Your grievance is misplaced. Mislead implies intent to deceive, and I've yet to see any evidence or claim that Boom was being intentionally deceptive. As people in this forum know, the MVNO scene is volatile, and changes happen. It's a natural tendency to cast blame when things don't go your way. Resist.

That said, Boom's conduct regarding the loss of roaming is disappointing, if not downright deplorable. It is a major impact on some of its users, and yet there is no official advance warning, nor is there any mention of it in today's announcement. It's like it never existed. At the least, I would've expected an explanation and apology, along with some offer for compensation for people suffering service outage. It is poor customer service. Yes, grievance would be very much justifiable here. Whatever good will Jeff H has built up in this forum has been lost, as far as I'm concerned.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H. View Post

Thanks Jeff. I think you made the point clear as to the why.

The overall point for the consumer is that Boom (and other MVNOs) need to continue to differentiate themselves to show value to shopping consumers. Cell phone service is a commodity and there no such thing as loyalty. Some will value price, some value features and/or coverage, etc. I'm glad Boom is offering online usage and VoLTE. But if I wanted more, I will go somewhere else.

Carrier(s)
    boom! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerdown.36 View Post
    Will the double dialing remain, or is that something you can get rid of.

I can't promise it but it's not something we have stopped addressing. We are also in talks about adding the full roaming outside of the extended coverage which is pretty small but it will be for a cost. No ETA on it but we are in constant talks with them since we weren't aware of the small changes that have affected a few of our customers after the migration. It is hard to disclose something that you aren't aware of until a customer as an issue but in saying that we do our best to handle all issues with care. Thanks for your support as well as most of the folks on the forums. We will continue to have a longer list of pros than cons Lord willing. Have a great night.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >I do feel slightly mislead by their "roaming" offering.

Do you also feel misled by the introduction of VoLTE? That certainly wasn't in Boom's advertising prior to today.

Your grievance is misplaced. Mislead implies intent to deceive, and I've yet to see any evidence or claim that Boom was being intentionally deceptive. As people in this forum know, the MVNO scene is volatile, and changes happen. It's a natural tendency to cast blame when things don't go your way. Resist.

That said, Boom's conduct regarding the loss of roaming is disappointing, if not downright deplorable. It is a major impact on some of its users, and yet there is no official advance warning, nor is there any mention of it in today's announcement. It's like it never existed. At the least, I would've expected an explanation and apology, along with some offer for compensation for people suffering service outage. It is poor customer service. Yes, grievance would be very much justifiable here. Whatever good will Jeff H has built up in this forum has been lost, as far as I'm concerned.
    I singed up for the roaming, not potential new features.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast