Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Mint Sim beats Cricket??

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    86
    Feedback Score
    0

    Mint Sim beats Cricket??

    I just saw the advertisement, mint sim selling 10GB data for $20/month. Is this price permanent or one month only?

    It looks like Mint sim beats Cricket's family line which I am using 3GB for $20 combination of five lines. Anybody thoughts on this?

    For me, coverage is not a big problem, all four major carriers are well covered in my area.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    786
    Feedback Score
    0
    MintSIM is less per month, but MintSIM requires prepaying for 12 months in order to get their best price while Cricket charges you monthly. In effect, you're tied down to MintSIM for the duration of your prepaid period while with Cricket you can leave any month.

    Furthermore, after your months run out you will be billed MintSIM's non-promotional regular rates for future renewals, not the promo rate you paid for your initial signup.

    And MintSIM uses T-Mobile whereas Cricket uses AT&T.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,549
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    MintSIM is less per month, but MintSIM requires prepaying for 12 months in order to get their best price while Cricket charges you monthly. In effect, you're tied down to MintSIM for the duration of your prepaid period while with Cricket you can leave any month.

    Furthermore, after your months run out you will be billed MintSIM's non-promotional regular rates for future renewals, not the promo rate you paid for your initial signup.

    And MintSIM uses T-Mobile whereas Cricket uses AT&T.
    Or use Google Voice and take advantage of these heavily discounted promo plans! The savings with Mint on a year plan is significantly less than the similar plan from Cricket. I have a line on Mint and very happy with it. Have another line on Metro and it's substantially faster than Mint or certainly Cricket.
    Edit: I bought 3 of their 3 month promo deals which get the price down to $11. and change per month.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,073
    Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    Or use Google Voice and take advantage of these heavily discounted promo plans! The savings with Mint on a year plan is significantly less than the similar plan from Cricket. I have a line on Mint and very happy with it. Have another line on Metro and it's substantially faster than Mint or certainly Cricket.
    Edit: I bought 3 of their 3 month promo deals which get the price down to $11. and change per month.
    Do you activate them as needed after each 3 month SIM runs out? Is there any expiration to activating?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    Is there any expiration to activating?
    Must activate within 45 days of purchase.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    5,060
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes good price but it's tmo signal. Better to buy h2o preloaded sims on eBay for $10
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    60
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mint has been somewhat disappointing vs Cricket for me. Mint does not give you access to the T-mobile 700mhz lte band 12 like Metro PCS does, so signal penetration into buildings is subpar, as well as speed. When lots of people on the network in one location, cannot even get webpages to load with good signal on Lte. Had to switch my phone to 3G WCDMA band to get pages to load on Chrome browser. It sure seems Mint customers only get the T-mobile network leftovers. Coverage no where as good as cricket, which is truly nationwide. If their sale/promotional price would be the real price, i could deal with all that, but it's back to cricket for me in another month.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,902
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Yes good price but it's tmo signal. Better to buy h2o preloaded sims on eBay for $10
    If only it were that good... But the Mint coverage map is much smaller than T-Mobile's.

    Mint rhymes with Sprint.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    786
    Feedback Score
    0
    MintSIM runs on the T-Mobile network.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,369
    Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwtechguy View Post
    Mint does not give you access to the T-mobile 700mhz lte band 12 like Metro PCS does, so signal penetration into buildings is subpar, as well as speed.
    I'm pulling Band 12 just fine on my Mintsim. Pulled 22 Mbps down on Band 4 the other day. VoLTE and WIFI calling too.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,369
    Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    MintSIM is less per month, but MintSIM requires prepaying for 12 months in order to get their best price while Cricket charges you monthly. In effect, you're tied down to MintSIM for the duration of your prepaid period while with Cricket you can leave any month.

    Furthermore, after your months run out you will be billed MintSIM's non-promotional regular rates for future renewals, not the promo rate you paid for your initial signup.
    I have no problem prepaying to get a great deal as T-Mobile functions fine for the areas I'm in ... and will be.

    As far as renewals, I purchased the 12 month deal and it will auto-renew at the discounted rate according to my online account control panel. Whether this still applies or whether it was only during the promotional period I'm not certain.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    2,363
    Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With their 3 month intro promo, it makes sense to try that before committing to any long term relationship. Try the phone in as many areas as you normally use it. If you experience issues, then port elsewhere. Having a gv account saves on the porting headaches by just updating the forwarding number. Takes all of 10 seconds to complete.

    We tried it here (chicago suburbs) for 2 1/2 months earlier in the year. Data speeds were quite fast but calls dropped often. Primary indoor use area was a tmobile dead spot apparently.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    38
    Feedback Score
    0
    I tried a MintSIM 3-month plan this winter; however, I discovered the hard way that T-Mobile coverage is lousy in the small town where I live in central Illinois (with the possible exception of the area right next to I-55). I also had a LG Volt on RingPlus until they shut down, so I switched the Volt to Tello, sold off all of my other phones (including the one I'd been using on MintSIM), and used the proceeds to treat myself to a Moto G4 Play on Amazon, which I can take to any US carrier I want (it's currently the LG Volt's replacement on Tello).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    15
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    If only it were that good... But the Mint coverage map is much smaller than T-Mobile's.

    Mint rhymes with Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwtechguy View Post
    Mint has been somewhat disappointing vs Cricket for me. Mint does not give you access to the T-mobile 700mhz lte band 12 like Metro PCS does, so signal penetration into buildings is subpar, as well as speed. When lots of people on the network in one location, cannot even get webpages to load with good signal on Lte. Had to switch my phone to 3G WCDMA band to get pages to load on Chrome browser. It sure seems Mint customers only get the T-mobile network leftovers. Coverage no where as good as cricket, which is truly nationwide. If their sale/promotional price would be the real price, i could deal with all that, but it's back to cricket for me in another month.

    What are you talking about? MintSIM runs on the T-Mobile network. You should have T-Mobile's coverage map.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    192
    Device(s)
    Moto G4 (unlocked, rooted)
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red (post paid)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey D. Luffy View Post
    What are you talking about? MintSIM runs on the T-Mobile network. You should have T-Mobile's coverage map.
    I think the problem there is that MintSim does not share TMob's roaming partner agreements, thus the coverage map.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwtechguy
    When lots of people on the network in one location, cannot even get webpages to load with good signal on Lte. Had to switch my phone to 3G WCDMA band to get pages to load on Chrome browser. It sure seems Mint customers only get the T-mobile network leftovers.
    I have exactly the same issues. I leave my phone forced to 3G (HSPA) otherwise my data speeds are abysmal (on LTE). Even on forced 3G sometimes the slowdown makes data nearly unusable, but you get what you pay for with MintSim it seems. Hard to argue with the promo price I paid, but seriously considering going elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using AT&T branded Softcard Sim with Cricket?
    By tonyp12 in forum Cricket/AIO
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2015, 02:29 PM
  2. Can you use AT&T SIM with Cricket Plan?
    By brad15 in forum Cricket/AIO
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2014, 08:03 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
  4. Fs Mint Samsung Beat
    By boomer1204 in forum GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 10:18 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 03:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks