Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Three UK - 12 GB for 12 months, can be used in US

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Maybe a noob will buy one and report their experience here.
    Here I am.

We are off to the Netherlands, France and the UK tomorrow for 2 weeks.

I bought a ThreeUK SIM on Ebay 3 weeks ago for about $2. It arrived within ten days.

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/

Like most UK telcoms, you must use a UK registered credit card so...

I activated it (got a mythree account on the internet) and bought a 20 GBP topup at:

https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/three

I used my paypal and it cost 1.5 GBP

They sent me a topup code within a minute. I copied and pasted it in the ThreeUK website and was up and running in the US with 12 GB of data (roaming on T-mo).

Took about ten minutes total and cost about $30 for 12GB usable all over Europe. One less thing I need to do jetlagged and disoriented.

I have some Freedompop global SIMs as well, but didn't want to worry about running out of data. (I am going to pop them in my Moto E and give it to SWMBO so that we can stay connected on Hangouts if we get separated)

Three does not let you hotspot on this plan. They block it on LG G3 (D855) I am using it on, running straight MM. However, it does hotspot on both a dual sim Moto E and a Galaxy Nexus that run Cyanogenmod 14.1, so there are ways around it.

One possible issue. Calls to the a US number from either UK [& rest of Europe] AND the US are about $1.80 a minute.
    If you do not need to call a US number this is a very good way to go.
    Yes! Be careful where you are when you make calls. If you are roaming calling out it can be hideously expensive. If I call back to the US or to my MIL in Ukraine I will use Hangouts/GV.
    Enjoy Lycamobile...the Ryanair of mobile phone service providers
    Air , Water , Fire....LYCA

Carrier(s)
    ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    One less thing I need to do jetlagged and disoriented.
    And knowing that it is already working is a lot of peace of mind.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    I used three co sim while traveling to Europe and the seller activated it for me. Data works fine in the US and the many countries listed. I used in England, France and Germany. My daughter used it in Spain and Italy.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Not a noob, but I can spare two dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by ishldknwbttr View Post
    Has anyone tried this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-12GB-P...3D282418275275
    Seller claims it can be used in the US. Wondering which network (Tmo or AT&T) and is it exclusively HSPA+? Anyone wants to take a plunge and try and report back?
    original post deleted by e.mote
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote
    In any case, only eBay noobs would buy from a seller with ZERO feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by lineisbusy View Post
    Perhaps from the same seller [still zero feedback], I won the following for less than two dollars.

Three ZTE MF730m Mobile Broadband USB Dongle. Including 12GB Preloaded SIM

If I don't receive it or can not use it I really will not be able to muster up any whining
    about this item.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Bonus info for 3 SIM card users.

It is possible to get the balance sent to your handset by dialing 555.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Got back yesterday from Europe, where I exercised a three UK SIM (see post 19}. It worked well in Netherlands, France and UK. Got decent HSPA+ speeds until UK where my d855 LGG3 got into 4glte. It is a good deal for the money, but the market is in a big state of flux now as new EU roaming rules have just taken effect.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Found another option for buying UK topup outside of UK. [and SIMs also!]

Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    I activated it (got a mythree account on the internet) and bought a 20 GBP topup at:
    https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/three
    I used my paypal and it cost 1.5 GBP
    While the above charges a 15% premium.

With all the turmoil of EU roaming starting June 15th I was doing some research.
    I stumbled across another option in buying UK top-ups.
    They also ship SIM cards.

They take PayPal and charge only 10% for top-ups.

http://www.uksims.eu/

Top Up
    At present, all UK network operators insist on you having a UK debit / credit card before you can use their service to top up. Not with us, you can pay for an e-voucher using PayPal which offers full protection for you as a buyer.

You seem to be able to order two of the same SIM at a time.

Order your FREE UK SIM Card
    Shipping Cost:
    UK customers = £1,
    Customers outside the UK = £3.00 (anywhere in the world)

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Ebay took a whole 12 minutes to refund my $1.29.

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ishldknwbttr
    Has anyone tried this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-12GB-P...3D282418275275
    Seller claims it can be used in the US. Wondering which network (Tmo or AT&T) and is it exclusively HSPA+? Anyone wants to take a plunge and try and report back?
    original post deleted by e.mote

Quote Originally Posted by e.mote
    In any case, only eBay noobs would buy from a seller with ZERO feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by lineisbusy
    Perhaps from the same seller [still zero feedback], I won the following for less than two dollars.

Three ZTE MF730m Mobile Broadband USB Dongle. Including 12GB Preloaded SIM

If I don't receive it or can not use it I really will not be able to muster up any whining
    about this item.

Well, emote was right.
    Ebay took a whole 12 minutes to refund my $1.29.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Since Freedompop cut back on sharing data to their glbal sim cards, I'm going to try the one of the Three sim cards when I'm in Europe in a couple weeks:

I picked up a couple Three sim cards off of eBay for about $2 shipped to the US. I'll activate the sim card, add some money for the 12Gb for 20 pounds (really 9gb when you're outside of the UK). I've also got a dual sim Moto E I'm going to flash to CM 14.1 to see if it will work as a hotspot with the Three sim (post #16 above) while I'm in Germany. I'll post if/how it works while there.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    e.mote,

Yes, I'll post if the freedompop global sims from 3UK still work "globally" when I'm in Germany in a couple weeks.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Look forward to hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Folks, ......... I'm going to try the one of the Three sim cards when I'm in Europe in a couple weeks:
    I picked up a couple Three sim cards off of eBay for about $2 shipped to the US. I'll activate the sim card, add some money for the 12Gb for 20 pounds (really 9gb when you're outside of the UK)........... I'll post if/how it works while there.
    Look forward to hearing about it.
    The only gotcha seems to be the 9GB limit.
    But you are aware.
    Do you know where or how you will top up?
    I am not sure if I mentioned in this thread [message #22 above] I found a place with 10% top up premium usable
    from the USA vs. 15%.
    Last edited by rfranzq; 08-31-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added message number

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    rfanzq,

I was able to download an app called KWIKPAY from the UK apple store (I created a different apple id to use the UK appstore). It takes paypal as a payment method. There was a 1% fee to use the app, so 20 pounds cost 20.20 pounds. The top up code arrived immediately and I added it to my Three account. I'll probably activate the 12Gb (9Gb) add-on right before I leave for Germany. That really is a great price AND if it works in the moto E as a hotspot, even better. We'll see.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles Bon Voyage

Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    rfanzq, I was able to download an app called KWIKPAY from the UK apple store (I created a different apple id to use the UK appstore). It takes paypal as a payment method. There was a 1% fee to use the app, so 20 pounds cost 20.20 pounds. The top up code arrived immediately and I added it to my Three account. I'll probably activate the 12Gb (9Gb) add-on right before I leave for Germany. That really is a great price AND if it works in the moto E as a hotspot, even better. We'll see. Eric
    Bon Voyage

Look forward for further updates.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    "That really is a great price AND if it works in the moto E as a hotspot, even better. We'll see."
    As I said above, it worked as a hotspot for me. You may be able to just root a phone and use "WiFi tether router" or something similar to get around Three's block.

It seems to me that I tried the Android version of Kwikpay, but got stuck somewhere along the way. Maybe it works now...things change even in 3 months in this bidness.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    rs899,

For the kwikpay, I was using the apple version. Not sure if that made a difference?

Do you think I need to flash my dual sim Moto E (XT1521) to CM14.1 to work as a hotspot? Or just leave it stock? I'll have to look in to this over the next week or two....

Eric

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast