Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Comcast Details Mobile Phone Service as Xfinity Mobile

Feedback Score

Comcast Details Mobile Phone Service as Xfinity Mobile

Fact Sheet: http://corporate.comcast.com/mobile/facts

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...xfinity-mobile

Unlimited – Consume all the cellular data you want for one set price for up to five lines. $65 per line on up to five lines with no usage limits, or $45 per line for our customers with our best X1 packages.

By the Gig – $12 per GB of cellular data across all lines on an account each month. Families can share their data across devices and will only pay for what they use.

Flexibility – Families can mix-and-match on an account so that each person can choose the way to pay for data that makes sense for them.

No Penalties – Easily switch back-and-forth between data options at no cost. If customers find that they've used more data on a "By the Gig" option one month, they can switch to "Unlimited" for that month, then switch back the next month with no penalties.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=18971
    "Comcast today revealed details of its forthcoming Xfinity Mobile phone service. The company will use Verizon's 4G LTE network for the service, using an existing MVNO agreement. The service will also automatically, seamlessly leverage 16 million Xfinity wi-fi hotspots for capacity and coverage. The service will initially be available only to customers who use at least one other Comcast Xfinity product, but will be billed separately. Comcast's main goal is customer loyalty. Plans include unlimited data, ranging from $45 to $65 per line, depending on the Xfinity home services the customer uses. For metered data, customers can create their own plan at $12/GB. Texting and voice are unlimited. A new mobile app will let users monitor usage and change data plans on the fly. "
    Last edited by Qt0; 04-06-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    "Comcast today revealed details of its forthcoming Xfinity Mobile phone service. The company will use Verizon's 4G LTE network for the service, using an existing MVNO agreement. The service will also automatically, seamlessly leverage 16 million Xfinity wi-fi hotspots for capacity and coverage. The service will initially be available only to customers who use at least one other Comcast Xfinity product, but will be billed separately. Comcast's main goal is customer loyalty. Plans include unlimited data, ranging from $45 to $65 per line, depending on the Xfinity home services the customer uses. For metered data, customers can create their own plan at $12/GB. Texting and voice are unlimited. A new mobile app will let users monitor usage and change data plans on the fly. "
    What? $12/GB, including UT&T? That sounds too good to be true! But apparently only available to those in a Comcast Xfinity service area?

Feedback Score
    My guess is they'll use Comcast wifi hotspots, but if you are not near one then it will switch over to cellular. I guess similar to FP but with VZ instead of sprint or at&t. Although I did read you had the option to turn it off if you feel there is a stronger cellular signal instead.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Comcast Details Mobile Phone Service as Xfinity Mobile

I wonder what data speeds are like. I'm not sure if I like this set up with the network preferring Wi-Fi. Sounds like freedompop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    More details here:

http://businessinsider.com/comcast-x...-launch-2017-4

Comments:

. It's not yet available. No specific roll-out date was given.

. It's a "wifi-first" hybrid service, like Republic Wireless et al. Caveats apply: Seamless hand-offs will be an issue, as will uneven wifi coverage from Xfinity hotspot. If RW is any indication, wifi will be strongly preferred, so your phone will likely stay with a bad wifi connection and skip on VZW LTE.

. You have to be an Xfinity customer. All plans have unlimited T&T. $65 for "unlimited" data (20GB soft cap), $45 if you have high-end X1 bundle; $12/GB for by-the-gig (round up to nearest GB). Not stated, but data will likely be throttled to 5Mb/s, as with other VZW MVNOs. Reportedly no tethering restriction.

. "Most popular mobile phones" will be supported, with Apple, Samsung and LG mentioned. This implies limited BYOD where only certified phones qualify, similar to Republic Wireless. It will likely be limited to phones that have CDMA and B13 (Verizon). You will likely have to install a dialer app.

. Not stated, but Comcast video offerings will likely be zero-rated.

. Pricing sweet spot would be $12 1GB plan, which reportedly has unlim T&T. This would undercut every phone provider on the market.

. Pricing dynamic is different with cable than wireless. Whereas wireless data prices tend to go down over time, cable tends to go up. Since Xfin Mobl is part of cable bundle, it will likely go up over time.

. An obvious exploit would to turn off phone wifi to only use VZW bandwidth, when applicable. This would avoid both the hand-off problem, as well as uneven wifi coverage.

. One fallout from this is that Xfinity access for users w/o phone sub will likely get worse, as hotspots would now be prioritized for phone subscriber use.
    Last edited by e.mote; 04-06-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    Republic Wireless has their app "backed" into the approved phones. This is true for example for any moto G4.
    Probably that needs to happen first here before BYOD happens.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I wonder how this would work with comcast business if they even offer it with business at all.

Feedback Score
    Sounds horrible. I'll stick with Cricket

Feedback Score
    Comcast Investor Relations webcast on mobile launch

https://event.webcasts.com/viewer/event.jsp?ei=1141557

. Wifi hotspot connection is automatic (auto-discover, auto-authenticate, auto-connect).

. No special hardware. Phone specially configured by manufacturer; Xfin Mobl app pre-installed.

. BYOD: "Not to begin with, that will be in the near future."

. "Focused on consumers out of the gate...business is future growth opportunity."

. No zero-rating of Comcast's Xtreme app for per-gig plan. [Comment: Comcast is clearly emphasizing on unlimited plan, and wifi access.]

. Infrastructure will be limited to existing subscriber hotspots (16 mil) including 1 million outdoor hotspots. No plans to invest capex to expand this for now.

. One questioner asked "what can Comcast do to improve the 'snitty' wifi experience." Answer: "We'll keep at it."

. Taxes & fees extra. No tethering restriction. No video "optimizing" to 480p.

Correction for earlier post:

. Voice calling is apparently via Verizon only for launch ("no wifi-calling today, stay tuned"). This would obviate the hand-off and uneven wifi coverage for voice issues.

My take: It's not worthwhile until BYOP happens. Even if you're in the market for a new phone, you wouldn't want to be stuck with a phone with "proprietary" Comcast-specific firmware loaded. Once BYOP is in, the free (or $12/GB) option would be an excellent deal for unlim T&T, low-data use.
    Last edited by e.mote; 04-06-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    According to the information Comcast posted on its website, you can get five lines with unlimited talk and texts plus 100 MB shared between the five lines, with all five lines being free.

Device(s)
    Blu Quattro 5.7HD
    Carrier(s)
    Ptel
    Feedback Score
    No Line Access Fees
    •Get up to five lines automatically included when you add Xfinity Mobile to your Xfinity Internet service, with no line access fees, unlimited talk and text, and your first 100 MB of shared 4G LTE data included – all at no extra cost.

so, as a Comcast Internet user, if don't use cell data, I can get free for unlimited call and txt? too good to be true?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I know a guy, I really do.

I will be able to put my hands on one of these phones on Saturday. This guy I know, he told me some stuff. The list of phones available is meh, S7, S7 Edge, iPhone 7, 7 Plus and SE, and the LG X Power, all priced right at MSRP, not surprising with the Apple phones, but on the Samsung and LG handsets, especially the low end X Power some sort of subsidy should be in order, and at least one mid range Android phone, maybe the Droid Z Play would have been appealing as well. He offered to order the iPhone 7 or Samsung 7 Edge for me to check out, if I wanted to pay for it, I didn't.

Anyway, this guy I know will have two LG X Power handsets on the Xfinity Mobile service delivered Saturday, and has promised me I could spend all of the quality time I wanted with one of them.

He chose the pay per GB option for now, and new numbers, the live site he ordered form made it clear that changing plans is simple and can be done at any time, and upgrading phones looks to be possible, but no clue if the shipped phones will be locked. I have asked him to not power up the phone until I get to check it out, my plan is to stick an active Verizon SIM in it and see what happens, and stick the Xfinity SIM into a different Verizon phone and see what happens, once I see what is up with that, I will power up the phone with the Xfinity SIM and start testing. I plan to carry it around for a few days, and forward my normal number to it.

If the service isn't just plain terrible this will be great for my parents, they are already Xfinity triple play customers, and have three lines on Cricket, and were about to add two more. Three of their five lines use almost no data, one uses very little, the fifth uses a lot, so free voice and text, $36 for maybe 3GB (probably less than a GB most months), and $45 for one unlimited is hard to beat, as is the Verizon coverage in the areas they frequent.

ETA: Add the iPhone 6s to the list of available devices.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    I know a guy, I really do.

I will be able to put my hands on one of these phones on Saturday. This guy I know, he told me some stuff. The list of phones available is meh, S7, S7 Edge, iPhone 7, 7 Plus and SE, and the LG X Power, all priced right at MSRP, not surprising with the Apple phones, but on the Samsung and LG handsets, especially the low end X Power some sort of subsidy should be in order, and at least one mid range Android phone, maybe the Droid Z Play would have been appealing as well. He offered to order the iPhone 7 or Samsung 7 Edge for me to check out, if I wanted to pay for it, I didn't.

Anyway, this guy I know will have two LG X Power handsets on the Xfinity Mobile service delivered Saturday, and has promised me I could spend all of the quality time I wanted with one of them.

He chose the pay per GB option for now, and new numbers, the live site he ordered form made it clear that changing plans is simple and can be done at any time, and upgrading phones looks to be possible, but no clue if the shipped phones will be locked. I have asked him to not power up the phone until I get to check it out, my plan is to stick an active Verizon SIM in it and see what happens, and stick the Xfinity SIM into a different Verizon phone and see what happens, once I see what is up with that, I will power up the phone with the Xfinity SIM and start testing. I plan to carry it around for a few days, and forward my normal number to it.

If the service isn't just plain terrible this will be great for my parents, they are already Xfinity triple play customers, and have three lines on Cricket, and were about to add two more. Three of their five lines use almost no data, one uses very little, the fifth uses a lot, so free voice and text, $36 for maybe 3GB (probably less than a GB most months), and $45 for one unlimited is hard to beat, as is the Verizon coverage in the areas they frequent.

ETA: Add the iPhone 6s to the list of available devices.
    Definitely keep us updated!!! I'm interested to see if you can take the Xfinity SIM and put it in another phone as well as seeing if you can use a Verizon SIM in an Xfinity phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Still no date when Comcast will go live in offering this cell plan?

Feedback Score
    >Still no date when Comcast will go live in offering this cell plan?

Per Ars Technica, roll-out is Q2, so within 3 months.

Ars also reported that throttled speed will be 750Kb/s rather than the 1.5Mb/s reported earlier. I think this will be a moving target. Comcast can always revise it further downward if needed.

>The list of phones available is meh

It's probably intentional. Launch will basically be a soak test, and a small pool would be best to iron out the kinks. A simple way to limit the pool is to limit entry to high-priced phones.

Maintaining a fleet of proprietary phones would take up a lot of resources. I doubt Comcast would go that route. It would also severely limit appeal, and few would want buy expensive phones that are locked to a MVNO. Since BYOD is "in the near future," I'm convinced that all this is a ramp-up to that eventuality.

That said, the list of unlocked Verizon-compatible phones isn't large. You have the iPhone, Galaxy S, Pixel, and Moto G4/5.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast