Thread: Comcast Details Mobile Phone Service as Xfinity Mobile

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >
    Ars also reported that throttled speed will be 750Kb/s rather than the 1.5Mb/s reported earlier. I think this will be a moving target. Comcast can always revise it further downward if needed.
    Actually, what the update on Ars said was 750Kb/s UPLOAD speed throttle. Still 1.5Mb/s download.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Feedback Score
    >Actually, what the update on Ars said was 750Kb/s UPLOAD speed throttle. Still 1.5Mb/s download.

Eeeek! ERROR! ERROR! SYSTEM OVERLOAD! EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN INITIATED!! >klang! klang! klang!<

Hahah gaffe aside I still think operational specs are by no means carved in stone, especially at this juncture. There's a good reason why wireless vendors opted for 64-128K throttle, and Comcast will likely revert to the mean in time. Remember, Comcast has to pay VZW for LTE, even at a discount.

Early adopters pay a premium for being first, but they also get to enjoy the benefits of no congestion and generous allotments. When the masses get onboard is when hatches get battened down and restrictions popped up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score

Comcast Details Mobile Phone Service as Xfinity Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    I wonder how this would work with comcast business if they even offer it with business at all.
    We have Comcast Business at work, so I'll keep an eye out if anything appears on our account management for offers (pure curiosity), but it's infuriating how their Cisco-provided modem/routers broadcast the xfinitywifi SSID even when you disable Wi-Fi. It took me a few tries to reach someone who could disable it (we have that in a secure location and don't want it broadcasting anything).

I also want to see what the SIMs look like and/or how this is set up on iOS - custom mobileconfig profile? I suspect Apple won't give Comcast special treatment when it comes to carrier-loaded apps.

Also, thinking out load, Comcast's recent apps have actually been quite nice - I wonder if the mobile one will be, too. I really wish AT&T would actually develop an app instead of just a web view wrapped up in an app.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Comcast being Comcast, I will not be getting my hands on the new phone today, It shipped late and won't be here until Monday, so it could be as late as Monday evening before I get my hands on one.

Still plan on poking and prodding it without much regard for its wellbeing, as I just found out that the handset will only be costing the guy that is getting it for me $4. Something about him getting a rebate for each line he activates, he is trying to talk me into buying an S7 Edge, and if these phones are unlocked and we can move SIM cards around I may just do that.

Feedback Score
    This does not sound Comcastic...

Feedback Score
    As it is Comcast they probably also tuck a $12.99 "Technology Fee" or something into your bill, too.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    As it is Comcast they probably also tuck a $12.99 "Technology Fee" or something into your bill, too.
    Nope, a $15 Overnight delivery fee, my buddy was given a choice at checkout, overnight service for $15 delivered Saturday, or free two day service delivered on Monday. He works during the week, as does his wife, his kids are all in school, meaning somebody would be home to sign for a delivery on Saturday, he would have to have it held at the Fedex office and pick it up when he can on a weekday. He figured the $15 was worth not having to deal with it on a weekday.

To no avail, he called in and they told him that they only do overnight for weekday deliveries, and guess what? They will not refund the $15 he paid extra for overnight delivery.

I spoke with him earlier today, he told me the phones will be held for him at the local Fedex office, and he should be able to get them during his lunch break, and I can pick them up from him any time after that.

As for value, I have had a chance to look over the details of what is being offered for right now, and it is a possible value, but not a slam dunk.

If you are already subscribe to two any two existing Comcast products, one being internet, the other being video, home phone or burglar alarm, the voice and text are free and unlimited, for now voice will be completely over the Verizon network, and data will be $12 per gig. The unlimited plan is $45 for "double play" subscribers, which for a family with four or five lines, makes this service as expensive as Verizon, assuming all lines need unlimited.

My parents subscribe to Comcast for internet, the top video package and home phone, and for their situation are paying a very reasonable rate. Their cellular services are scattered at the moment. They currently have five lines, three with Cricket, two with Metro. The Cricket lines break down to two with 3GB of data, and one with no data, the Metro lines are both 1gb. Their plan was to move all five lines to the Cricket 3GB lines for $100, except one line getting unlimited with Cricket, for an extra $40 or so.

Their usage is that two of the lines use virtually no data, one uses very little (that line was on Ringplus for nearly two years and never went over 1GB, never even came close to that), so for three of the lines the cost will be between $0 and $12 a month, two of the lines will be used heavily, so unlimited will make sense, so they are at about $105 for the five lines, which is probably their cheapest alternative, and even if it isn't the absolute cheapest, being on the Verizon network works better for them than AT&T, and much better than T-Mobile.

Myself, we would need four of the lines with unlimited, and one with the per GB, so we are at a point where given Verizons BYOD and midrange phone pfferings would make actual Verizon service a better deal.

At this point I believe that pricing and device availability will change. As of now they are releasing this as a live product to employees and select customers, while not a beta, it is still a test event, so in time certain things will change. The pricing was probably set several months ago, which means before Verizon released their current unlimited plan, and that will probably be addressed.

For now, I am patiently awaiting the opportunity to prode and poke some of these phones.

Enough of the bad news, my buddy also told me this morning that I would be getting two phones instead of one, one on the unlimited plan, one on the per GB. The lines will eventually be for his kids, if they decide to use the service for the whole family, for now they have Verizon with the new unlimited and are likely to stick with it. He is getting a $150 Visa gift card for each line he activates, making the X-Power almost free.

Feedback Score
    If they're offering $0 (free) for five lines with unlimited talk and text, how can that not be appealing?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Comcast being Comcast, phones still haven't arrive. My buddy went to pick them up this afternoon, Fedex didn't have them, they sent them to the store across town, that closed an hour before. I know, not Comcast fault, but it just seems to be par for the course.

Hopefully tomorrow.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    If they're offering $0 (free) for five lines with unlimited talk and text, how can that not be appealing?
    People just hate comcast and will always find something to complain about.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    Comcast being Comcast, phones still haven't arrive. My buddy went to pick them up this afternoon, Fedex didn't have them, they sent them to the store across town, that closed an hour before. I know, not Comcast fault, but it just seems to be par for the course.

Hopefully tomorrow.
    Any idea what the taxes/fees look like?

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by min1968 View Post
    No Line Access Fees
    •Get up to five lines automatically included when you add Xfinity Mobile to your Xfinity Internet service, with no line access fees, unlimited talk and text, and your first 100 MB of shared 4G LTE data included – all at no extra cost.

so, as a Comcast Internet user, if don't use cell data, I can get free for unlimited call and txt? too good to be true?
    Yeah, I am confused on the pricing. At first I assumed you had to buy a data bucket, but then the 100meg free wouldn't make sense.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    On billing, I have had a good look at the account page, and it is fairly simple, as of now there are exactly two options for your line, either unlimited at $45/65, and by the GB. You can choose per line which service you want, all of those that are on the per GB option share a tiny bucket of 100MB, and as that 100MB isn't exhausted there is no billing for that month for those lines. Unlimited lines naturally cost $45 whether you use 1MB or 50GB.

I actually have the phones in hand, and will discuss that briefly in my next post.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I now have two Xfinity Mobile LG K212 X-Power phones from Xfinity Mobile.

Packaging is fairly simple, LG retail boxes, shipped in a pretty normal cardboard box, with little instructions cards telling you to activate phone before turning it on.

So far I have activated one of the phones, I figured I would do it just like the instructions state on the first one, and see where we are. As of right now, the phone appears to be unlocked after activation and a couple of calls are made.

After activating and making sure it works, I turned it off, and pulled the SIM and swapped it with a Verizon Prepaid SIM from a Verizon Prepaid phone I bought Saturday and activated on a 30 day 2GB plan. The Xfinity LG powered up, complained about a foreign SIM, then worked just fine with the Verizon Prepaid SIM, I even made a couple of calls with WiFi off, and it worked fine, I could call, send and receive texts and even had data on the Xfinity phone with the Verizon Prepaid SIM, the Verizon Prepaid phone is locked tight, and being it is a pretty low end phone that cost $23, I am not going to spend a lot of time worrying about unlocking it.

I do plan to get my hands on a Verizon postpaid phone that should be unlocked (right now I am looking at an HTC M8 for Windows, that should make a pretty good tester. While it is nice to know that the Xfinity phone is unlocked, I am more interested in the ability to move the SIM to another phone.

So far all calls appear to have been made over the Verizon network, even with WiFi connected. During the activation process there were a couple of references to wifi calling, but so far I have seen no evidence of it being used in any way as of now.

The X-Power is running 6.0.1, and has surprisingly little bloat. So far the only bloat besides the Google crap are the two Xfinity Apps I have had installed on my phones for a while already, the account app, and the Xfinity video app.

Speeds and coverage seem to be identical to what I am used to with Verizon Post paid in this area, but at this point I am not planning on using too much data just yet, I am more interested in sorting out BYOD possibilities. As of now it looks promising, but you will still have to buy a phone with your plan, and the cheapest for now is the $150 X-Power, although for employees they are giving them a $150 gift card for every line they activate. So for the Employee activation period, BYOD would still be doable, if you already have a high end phone, it would be kind of like a $150 fee for keeping our own phone, silly and pointless, but I believe that they are keeping it unsupported to make it easier to provide support at the beginning, which will be simpler with nothing but Apple devices and three Androids. If they allow BYOD, they will get killed with people using hundreds of different types of devices, rooted devices, and locked devices from different carriers, stuff that makes support much harder to train for.

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    all of those that are on the per GB option share a tiny bucket of 100MB, and as that 100MB isn't exhausted there is no billing for that month for those lines.
    Hmmm. I actually can get by with <100meg, as I am on wifi 99% of the time. If I can get essentially, free service, it may be worth it to buy a new phone. Otherwise at $12, I am better with my current paygo option.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast