Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Comcast Details Mobile Phone Service as Xfinity Mobile

Feedback Score
    I have a subscription to Comcast home internet and received an email from Comcast today advertising the new Xfinity Mobile service.
    Unfortunately I think it's safe to assume that Comcast will pursue its usual strategy of loading on plenty of below-the-line fees.

"Xfinity Mobile
    Thanks for your interest
    As a customer with XFINITY Internet, you'll have the chance to join XFINITY Mobile as one of our first customers.
    Watch for the official launch announcement coming soon.
    Thank you for being an XFINITY customer!
    Restrictions apply. Requires a post-pay subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. Equipment, taxes, fees, including regulatory recovery fees, surcharges, and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change. $10 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: XFINITY TV, Internet or Voice service. Service not available in all areas. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed. Comcast ©2017. All rights reserved."

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So far nothing, I looked at the account page, and it showed nothing but the payments for the phones. I thing I recall seeing a couple of 75 cent universal service fund fees, or E911 fees, but I couldn't tell if they were included or not, they didn't appear to be increasing either the monthly payment or initial payment.

Feedback Score
    We may have to just wait and see how the bill looks once the service is commercially launched. I would expect Comcast to tune their pricing model as they get their feet wet in the mobile market.

One thing to be aware of is that this is not pre-paid service. Comcast is billing this service post paid. (I nearly missed this point when I first read the press release). You give Comcast your credit card number and they bill you for the Xfinity Mobile separately from your regular Comcast wired-service bill. So if you're on the per-Gigabyte billing plan you have to be prepared to monitor your usage closely or you could accidentally run up a very large mobile bill for the month. And you have to be confident that Comcast's mobile data-usage meter is accurate. (Recall that Comcast can use post-paid billing because they have already done a credit check when the customer signed up for wired service.)

I don't mean to sound overly negative about Xfinity Mobile. I think this is potentially an attractive offering for people with very low cellular-data usage. But I'm also trying to be realistic about the possible downsides.

Feedback Score
    I already get the 15 million hotspots with my xfinity password. While I am on Cricket. Haha, trying to fool me?

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    I already get the 15 million hotspots with my xfinity password. While I am on Cricket. Haha, trying to fool me?
    That was my thought originally also, but you would be paying for the cellular data, not wifi.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    People just hate comcast and will always find something to complain about.
    With Comcast, those "somethings to complain about" aren't hard to find

Although I will say that I do like the X1 platform after I upgraded last year (upgraded to a lower price too for 2 years at least)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have no idea why I didn't think about it earlier, other than being a little rushed for time (which is why I was wanting to get these phones on Saturday), but I do have a postpaid Verizon phone handy.

It is my work phone, and I typically don't use it for anything besides work, I don't even install non work related apps on it. I just went out to my work truck, grabbed a Verizon Postpaid iPhone 7, popped the Xfinity SIM in, and it was making calls, receiving texts and getting cellular data.

So that question is answered, BYOD is something that is available, although 100% unsupported. So far the only special App I have seen is the Xfinity Mobile App that came preinstalled on the phone, but is available through the Play store, and I would assume the Apple store, but I didn't check the Apple store.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    I'm curious if the phones are using the Verizon MNC or it's something new...plus, I wonder if the SIM card would work in a phone that has Verizon frequencies, but may not have originated from Verizon or Comcast. Thanks for reporting all the results so far though!

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    One of the things I am interested in is trying one of these SIM cards in a Moto G4 or 5,

My guess is that like most Verizon based SIM cards, it would work fine in a phone that isn't whitelisted once activated, but probably won't activate in a phone that isn't on the list.

MMC and MNC in the APN are MMC 311 MNC 480, it uses VZWINTERNET as the APN. When I put the SIM into the iPhone 7, it still showed Verizon in the upper left corner.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    One of the things I am interested in is trying one of these SIM cards in a Moto G4 or 5,

My guess is that like most Verizon based SIM cards, it would work fine in a phone that isn't whitelisted once activated, but probably won't activate in a phone that isn't on the list.

MMC and MNC in the APN are MMC 311 MNC 480, it uses VZWINTERNET as the APN. When I put the SIM into the iPhone 7, it still showed Verizon in the upper left corner.
    What are the specs of the X Power? Snapdragon or Mediatek?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    ...MMC and MNC in the APN are MMC 311 MNC 480, it uses VZWINTERNET as the APN. When I put the SIM into the iPhone 7, it still showed Verizon in the upper left corner.
    That is the same as I get with Verizon on Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    What are the specs of the X Power? Snapdragon or Mediatek?
    the boost version is mediatek, the cricket version is snapdragon 210

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    According to CPU-Z it has a Snapdragon 210 quad core CPU with Adreno 304 GPU.

It appears to be clocked at 1.27mHZ.

The board ID is MSM8909.

Being that I didn't get the phones until late yesterday, and worked all day, I haven't been able to spend as much quality time as I would have liked. I have found basically no information on the LG K212, which is the model number on the box and phone. It doesn't appear to be an exact copy of either the Boost Mobile version, or the Cricket Wireless version.

It has 2GB of RAM, the rear camera is listed on the Xfinity Mobile website as 8MP, but the box states it is 13MP, I took a couple of snapshots today, the results were surprisingly good.

This does appear to be a fairly unique variant of the X-Power, slightly different than the US Cellular, Boost Mobile or Cricket versions, but not identical to any of those. I suppose it could be based on an LG home market version, I believe some of the South Korean carriers still use CDMA.

Honestly, I am not over interested in this phone, I used it all day today, and plan to keep it handy for a few more days and then put the SIM card into something else.

At this stage of the roll out I believe that they are intentionally keeping the number of devices limited, as it is now they have three basic device to trouble shoot, the iPhones, as troubleshooting any model running iOS 10 is going to be pretty much the same, this also applies to the Samsung S7 and S7 Edge. The X-Power is probably a last minute compromise, once they realized shortly before launch that not everybody is willing to spend $700 on a phone, so they picked something very Milquetoast. It is absolutely a capable and useful phone, the performance is good enough to be a daily driver for the vast majority if users, as long as those users aren't worried about having the "best" phone you can have.

I do believe that BYOD is something they are wanting to include, but for now that would complicate the process of getting customer support up and running. I also believe that there will be changes in the price structure. As of right now this service is only available to Comcast Employees and a very few targeted customers. While the current structure is attractive to some customers, it leaves big holes. For light users it is great, for families with a couple of heavy users and two or three very light users, it is a good, but for families with more than two heavy users the value really isn't there.

So far the coverage is very obviously Verizon, I have seen no indication or clue that Comcast is switching or processing any calls or mobile data. VOLTE is available on every model except the X-Power. In this area that means great coverage just about everywhere. I didn't get to the remote areas of the county today, but so far the phone seems to have the exact same coverage as Verizon postpaid devices.

I thought I had an issue with the phone calling T-Mobile devices using WiFi calling, but my T-Mobile device needed restarted.

Feedback Score
    >plan to keep it handy for a few more days and then put the SIM card into something else.

You said you have two phones, and the other one hasn't been yet activated. Suggest taking the unactivated SIM into a store and trying it in one of the unlocked non-VZW phones. Moto G4/G5 would be good.

>While the current structure is attractive to some customers, it leaves big holes.

As mentioned earlier, pooled metered use would be a recipe for disaster. Account management would need to get more sophisticated. But as you said it's probably not high priority at the moment.

Assuming the bones of the pricing stay as-is, now that you've shown that BYOD is viable, free unlimited T&T service from Comcast looks good. We don't have Comcast, but I'll hit up my bro for some freebies.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    An unlocked Moto 4G is exactly what I am looking at really hard for the second SIM, I was planning on activating the SIM in the LG phone it came with, but think I will go with the suggestion to attempt activating it in the unlocked and unbranded phones.

Looks like Amazon might be the cheapest source for one right now.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast