Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Comcast Details Mobile Phone Service as Xfinity Mobile

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracer5g View Post
    An unlocked Moto 4G is exactly what I am looking at really hard for the second SIM, I was planning on activating the SIM in the LG phone it came with, but think I will go with the suggestion to attempt activating it in the unlocked and unbranded phones.

Looks like Amazon might be the cheapest source for one right now.
    Someone reported having an issue activating an Amazon ad-supported version of the Moto phones on Page Plus - http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...s-data-network

Just FYI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jambarg View Post
    I have a subscription to Comcast home internet and received an email from Comcast today advertising the new Xfinity Mobile service.
    Unfortunately I think it's safe to assume that Comcast will pursue its usual strategy of loading on plenty of below-the-line fees.

"Xfinity Mobile
    Thanks for your interest
    As a customer with XFINITY Internet, you'll have the chance to join XFINITY Mobile as one of our first customers.
    Watch for the official launch announcement coming soon.
    Thank you for being an XFINITY customer!
    Restrictions apply. Requires a post-pay subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. Equipment, taxes, fees, including regulatory recovery fees, surcharges, and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change. $10 per line monthly charge applies if at least one of the following post-pay subscriptions are not maintained on the account: XFINITY TV, Internet or Voice service. Service not available in all areas. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed. Comcast ©2017. All rights reserved."
    $10 per wireless line for unlimited t&t + 100 mb, without having any other Comcast service, is a great price.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I do understand why Comcast is going this route, but I can safely say that it would need to be amazing all around for me to even consider it. I'm going on the 3rd month in a row where they couldn't get my cable bill correct, for entirely different reasons than each of the last 2 months. The last thing I want is for them to have their grubby paws on another service of mine that I have to check each month to make sure I'm being charged correctly (or at least, as close to correctly as they'll get). I'll stick to a predictable $40/month GoPhone plan instead of the $65 + taxes and fees and whatever from the one company I will never trust to get anything right.

I understand they'd be making a huge amount of cash if they got even a small percentage of their customers to switch, but I don't think there's a large market for people to get screwed over by Comcast when they have the choice not to.

Feedback Score
    Wow, they're out of their mind if they're going to sell a LG X Power with a SD210 for $150 (allegedly). That's at most a $30 phone or even free with some contract. At least the Mediatek version (Boost) is in a similar class as a SD6XX series. BYOD is a necessity for this to be a success. I knew somehow Comcast would make this a bad deal.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much spdracer5g for your detailed report on this service in advance. We all appreciate it very much.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not too much to update just yet. I did have some issues doing the activation with a brand new Amazon Moto G4, stuck it back in the phone it came with, and activation went through perfectly.

The guy I know has decided he is going to use these lines, so will need his SIM cards back, but he talked to somebody he knows who got me added to the database, and now I can get my own five lines. For now this makes no difference, my buddy is in no hurry and told me to keep tinkering with what I have for now, and once my stuff comes in give him the SIMs back, sounds fair enough, I get to keep the phones, for free.

I have placed an order for four lines, three with the X-Power, and one with an iPhone 7, my daughter was about to buy a 7 through T-Mobile, the price is the same, T-Mobile isn't running any promotions that make a difference, and so far the service is solid enough that I may well move the family over.

Not being able to activate on a BYOD phone isn't that big of a deal yet, they have said that BYOD will be a thing soon, and IIRC activation of new SIMs on non Verizon branded devices is a pain even with normal Verizon postpaid service. I am glad to see that so far their phones appear to be unlocked, my daughters new iPhone will likely be used on T-Mobile for a few weeks before we switch her line over for good. If we decide not to switch lines over for good it isn't a problem, the price and monthly payments are the same either way, and all I have to do is set the SIM aside, and make the phone payments to Comcast.

My little bit of interaction with the Xfinity Mobile billing system is pretty impressive. I wondered what it would look like if I went ahead and paid off one of the phones, so I chose the "make additional payment" option under devices, paid of one of the X-Powers, and it asked me if I wanted to use my saved card, I did, and it instantly showed my phone paid off, both on the device section, and in the billing, my "monthly amount" dropped by $6.50 instantly. I also got a popup telling me something about my payment history with Comcast had made me eligible for four devices without a credit check, and I was eligible to purchase another phone with monthly payments without a credit check.

It looks like the credit check is for the devices, not the lines of service. So that may be a bigger deal once this service officially has BYOD. There are lots of customers that have shaky credit, that won't pass a credit check and have a crap payment history with Comcast and Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I didn't think about trying a T-Mobile SIM in the X-Power, but will do that right now. Yeah, the Moto G4 is the Amazon subsidized version, and it works fine with an already activated SIM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Popped the SIM out of my trusty T-Mobile HTC One M9 into the X-Power, and it worked just fine. I had to manually add the T-Mobile APN, but I expected that. When I first added the APN it was picking up HSPA+, after reboot band 2 LTE. We don't have band 12 around here, and the only band 4 is in the opposite direction of where I am during the week.

To be honest here at home we rely on they Cellspt LTE, which I didn't even realize was broadcasting HSPA+ (had to have been from the cell spot, T-Mobile never rolled out 3G in this area, they went straight from EDGE to Band 2 LTE.

I naturally tried some data, speeds were exactly what I expect from my T-Mobile phones with WiFi off through the cell spot (about 80MB down 12 up. Phone calls and texts worked as expected.

This phone would make a more than satisfactory low cost backup phone.

One other thing I have noticed with this phone, with medium usage, and data turned off most of the time, I took it off the charger at 95% last Tuesday evening, yesterday (Sunday) morning I used to to check email, it was at 1% and shut down after a few minutes. 4.5 days on a charge is pretty good if you ask me. I love my M9, and am debating between an S6 and an M9 if I switch over to this service as my main service, but good grief I am happy to get through a full day of similar usage without the battery being below 10%, any heavy usage at all and it is about dead by early evening. The included quick charger does its job on the X-Power. About all of the non Apple phones we have in the house are quick charge capable, and all of our chargers are QC 2.0, so we are used to that, but for the battery to be as large as the X-Power it really does charge fast. 0% to 90% in less than an hour, and it will last for days.

The phone is fairly slim as well. Compared to a current flagship the specs seem meager, but I believe we are at a point where hardware is outpacing the software, even fairly meager speced devices are capable of doing all but the most intensive tasks.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. GSM compatibility does raise the X Power's stock. With bulletproof VZW compatibility, it can compete with Moto G in the low-cost "universal" phone bracket. It's too bad that the model isn't morely widely available. Have to commend Comcast for doing something right for a change. Here's to hoping that BYOD won't be far behind.

Let us know if you can get data (and voice) roaming. Also, to confirm, no VoLTE/HD Voice for X Power, correct?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It looks like the bootloader can be unlocked and fastboot is available. For now that is about as far as I want to go with that, this is still sort of a test product, and I don't want to do something that will trigger the engineers to start locking stuff down, and if they believe that there are folks out there tinkering with this stuff, they will.

After using the phone some, I have found a couple of customization's in the software. In the WiFi settings menu, there is a selection for "connect to Xfinity wifi automatically when no saved wifi is available". There was something else, but I don't recall what it was right now.

ETA: Yes, as far as I know there is no HD voice or VOLTE on the X-Power, I understand that it is available on the other available phones. So far I haven't really had a chance to check on the other phones. I have the iPhone coming later this week, and should also be getting a Galaxy S6 and an old HTC M8 for Windows, The S6 supports HD Voice, I don't believe that the HTC for Windows does.

I am waiting on what they are going to do with pricing on the S7 next week. They are promising to offer the S8 and S8 Edge beginning Friday, My wife wants an S7, so if they drop the price on the S7 to around $500 new, supported and with warranty, I will buy her one via Comcast, if not I will either grab one off Swappa cheap, or break down and pay up for the S8.

Feedback Score
    >For now that is about as far as I want to go with that

Thanks for saving me from my stupidity. What you said aside, a bootloader unlock would've triggered a factory reset, and that would be on me for neglecting to mention the consequence. Excuse my thoughtlessness.

I prefer eBay over Swappa because eBay has better buyer's protection. S7 is already dropping in price. "New other" and manuf refurbs (like new) are ranging around $340, equiv to used phones on Swappa. eBay had a similar deal at $289 a few days ago. Like with Moto G4, vendors are clearing out inventory of old phones, and you should find similar or better deals upon S8's release. Would suggest against a used phone, not only because the lemon risk is higher, but because people have no idea how fast electronics depreciate, and invariably overprice their used wares.

As you have the inside track on Xfin Mobile, please keep us here apprised of new developments. The effort is appreciated, as always. Looking forward to the launch.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok, after a couple of weeks of living with the service on a daily basis (still carrying my trusty T-Mobile phone, and my company issue Verizon phone during work hours), I have made a few more observations.

So far the coverage is identical to Verizon Postpaid, it may be the Native Verizon coverage with no roaming, but I don't know, there are no roaming areas here, I plan to do some traveling in July that requires roaming on US Cellular, so I will know for sure then.

I picked up an Xfinity Mobile iPhone 7 for my daughter, it is locked to Xfinity Mobile, neither a Verizon Prepaid SIM nor T-Mobile SIM would work, Xfinity Mobile says they will unlock it, I have a ticket open and am waiting on that.

I gave another try with activating a brand new SIM in an unactivated phone, it is a Verizon branded Galaxy S6 Edge, brand new never activated, and it activated perfectly. Not the same as an unbranded unlocked phone, but still a good sign for BYOD. The S6 Edge works great, so far the only thing I have found that doesn't work that I want to is the stock hotspot, I haven't really tinkered with it, but am thinking I will probably have to install a third party app for that. On the Xfinity branded phones the Hot Spot feature does work.

I have also discovered that it looks like the per GB plan is a pooled deal, not by the line. I was concerned that if we each used say .2GB, we would end up with five 1GB charges, as it turns out we could use exactly .2gb per line and get by with a single $12 GB. That is probably the biggest news I have to share so far.

ETA: I stopped by my buddies office today to pick him up for lunch, and got to chatting with several of his coworkers about this subject, and one thing they all mentioned was that this was great for their younger kids, they mostly bought the X-Powers, and turned the data off. Basically they can hand their younger children (sounded like mostly between 8 and 13 years old) cell phones already programmed with the numbers of the people they need, and use them for text and voice, and only use the data functions on WiFi at home. They all seemed very enthusiastic about that aspect of the service. It sounded like most of them had already been considering getting their kids a phone, but didn't want a monthly expense. Of course take into consideration these are employees who are being given a $150 incentive for each line activated (and phones that only cost $156), so for them it will be almost truly free service if they aren't using data.

Feedback Score
    Ok, after a couple of weeks of living with the service on a daily basis (still carrying my trusty T-Mobile phone, and my company issue Verizon phone during work hours), I have made a few more observations.

So far the coverage is identical to Verizon Postpaid, it may be the Native Verizon coverage with no roaming, but I don't know, there are no roaming areas here, I plan to do some traveling in July that requires roaming on US Cellular, so I will know for sure then.

I picked up an Xfinity Mobile iPhone 7 for my daughter, it is locked to Xfinity Mobile, neither a Verizon Prepaid SIM nor T-Mobile SIM would work, Xfinity Mobile says they will unlock it, I have a ticket open and am waiting on that.

I gave another try with activating a brand new SIM in an unactivated phone, it is a Verizon branded Galaxy S6 Edge, brand new never activated, and it activated perfectly. Not the same as an unbranded unlocked phone, but still a good sign for BYOD. The S6 Edge works great, so far the only thing I have found that doesn't work that I want to is the stock hotspot, I haven't really tinkered with it, but am thinking I will probably have to install a third party app for that. On the Xfinity branded phones the Hot Spot feature does work.

I have also discovered that it looks like the per GB plan is a pooled deal, not by the line. I was concerned that if we each used say .2GB, we would end up with five 1GB charges, as it turns out we could use exactly .2gb per line and get by with a single $12 GB. That is probably the biggest news I have to share so far.

ETA: I stopped by my buddies office today to pick him up for lunch, and got to chatting with several of his coworkers about this subject, and one thing they all mentioned was that this was great for their younger kids, they mostly bought the X-Powers, and turned the data off. Basically they can hand their younger children (sounded like mostly between 8 and 13 years old) cell phones already programmed with the numbers of the people they need, and use them for text and voice, and only use the data functions on WiFi at home. They all seemed very enthusiastic about that aspect of the service. It sounded like most of them had already been considering getting their kids a phone, but didn't want a monthly expense. Of course take into consideration these are employees who are being given a $150 incentive for each line activated (and phones that only cost $156), so for them it will be almost truly free service if they aren't using data.
    Thanks for the updates, keep em' coming! You mentioned that VoLTE doesn't work on the XPower, is that because they haven't activated it on MVNOs or the phone doesn't have the feature?

Also, do you know what the pricing looks like for other devices? Is it retail or have they marked them down?
    Last edited by b1geast; 04-28-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Xpower doesn't support VOLTE or HD Calling, I am currently using an S6 Edge with one of the Xfinity SIM cards, and honestly haven't noticed if it uses it or not, I will check that tomorrow.

As for the phone pricing, it is about the same as Verizon and the other carriers, on a couple of phones there is maybe a small discount, The iPhone 7 comes to about a dollar less over two years with Xfinity, so pretty much the same, the S8 is a dollar a month cheaper, the S7 is about a dollar a month cheaper as well. So really they are almost identical to Verizon pricing as of now. Of course Verizon doesn't have the X-Power, US Cellular does, and they charge $8.75 per month for 24 months or $210.

I have some experience with the X-Power, and it is not a $210 phone, or even a $156 phone. I bought one for my sister at Christmas (the Cricket Wireless variant), it replaced an old Kyocera Hyrdo something or other that was terrible, she loves the X-Power. I have been working with the Xfinity/US Cellular version for a few weeks now, and while it isn't awful, the only redeeming quality it has is the gigantic battery, it really does live up to its claims for battery life, it can easily go all day even with heavy use, and as many as 3.5 days with moderate use, maybe more with light use, I haven't seen that sort of battery life since the flip phone days. Other than the battery, it isn't awful, the 16Gb ROM is good, the 2GB of RAM isn't terrible, the CPU and GPU don't always feel like a quad core, the front camera is better than you might expect, but the rear camera is nothing special. I would call it a bargain at the $50 I paid for my sisters, it would have been fair at $80 through Xfinity, but at $156 it is over priced by a lot, and at $210 US Cellular is trying to run off customers by selling them that phone at that price.

Feedback Score
    The Xpower doesn't support VOLTE or HD Calling, I am currently using an S6 Edge with one of the Xfinity SIM cards, and honestly haven't noticed if it uses it or not, I will check that tomorrow.

As for the phone pricing, it is about the same as Verizon and the other carriers, on a couple of phones there is maybe a small discount, The iPhone 7 comes to about a dollar less over two years with Xfinity, so pretty much the same, the S8 is a dollar a month cheaper, the S7 is about a dollar a month cheaper as well. So really they are almost identical to Verizon pricing as of now. Of course Verizon doesn't have the X-Power, US Cellular does, and they charge $8.75 per month for 24 months or $210.

I have some experience with the X-Power, and it is not a $210 phone, or even a $156 phone. I bought one for my sister at Christmas (the Cricket Wireless variant), it replaced an old Kyocera Hyrdo something or other that was terrible, she loves the X-Power. I have been working with the Xfinity/US Cellular version for a few weeks now, and while it isn't awful, the only redeeming quality it has is the gigantic battery, it really does live up to its claims for battery life, it can easily go all day even with heavy use, and as many as 3.5 days with moderate use, maybe more with light use, I haven't seen that sort of battery life since the flip phone days. Other than the battery, it isn't awful, the 16Gb ROM is good, the 2GB of RAM isn't terrible, the CPU and GPU don't always feel like a quad core, the front camera is better than you might expect, but the rear camera is nothing special. I would call it a bargain at the $50 I paid for my sisters, it would have been fair at $80 through Xfinity, but at $156 it is over priced by a lot, and at $210 US Cellular is trying to run off customers by selling them that phone at that price.
    The cricket version of the X Power doesn't even have 2gigs of RAM, they really dumbed it down for cricket cheapos.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast