Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Comcast Details Mobile Phone Service as Xfinity Mobile

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty1 View Post
    Actually, on the Verizon Bill when you look at the Usage and Purchase charges for each line, it has that red + which means percentage based.
    Don't think there is really a way to trace route the APN itself as it can literally be anywhere.
    They are free to route a given APN differently. I'm sure the main APN doesn't​ route everyone to the same gateway.

So Comcast could have multiple gateways, with the APN routing to the nearest or some other prioritization.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Cell providers have always used Comcast for routing data. I know Sprint and Tmobile do. We had a Comcast outage a few years ago and I had Sprint and my data was down. After this I did some research and found out that they do use the backbone of Comcast. I don't know if Verizon did.

So it's no big deal that Xfinity mobile routes through it's own servers and changing APN's is a waste of time. On any given day or moment of time one APN may work better than another.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    They are free to route a given APN differently. I'm sure the main APN doesn't​ route everyone to the same gateway.

So Comcast could have multiple gateways, with the APN routing to the nearest or some other prioritization.
    Yes except traceroutes will not show the APN routing since a APN is basically a invisible part that adds the roundtrip latency similar to how a VPN works.
    Cheers,

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    Cell providers have always used Comcast for routing data. I know Sprint and Tmobile do. We had a Comcast outage a few years ago and I had Sprint and my data was down. After this I did some research and found out that they do use the backbone of Comcast. I don't know if Verizon did.

So it's no big deal that Xfinity mobile routes through it's own servers and changing APN's is a waste of time. On any given day or moment of time one APN may work better than another.
    That can't be right as Verizon Inc owns 1 of the big tier 1 Internet backbones, UUNet Technologies (AS701) aka AlterNet which was part of MCI WorldCom before and one of the big 3 tier 1 backbones. Prior to the Verizon merger, GTE owned GTE Internetworking which was known as BBNPlanet (AS1) and they had to spin it off as a separate company known as Genuity due to the FCC in the Verizon merger.
    Genuity got bought by Level3 Comminications.

Sprint is one of the big 3 tier 1 backbones as they have their own SprintLink (AS1239). The other big 3 backbone is now known as CenturyLink which was Savvis Communications and Cable & Wireless USA after they took over what was known as Internet MCI before. All of those backbones are way bigger than Comcast as far as internet backbones go. AT&T has 3 tier 1 backbones as they have AT&T WorldNet which started in 1994 when BBN helped them build it and basically it uses BBNPlanet's backbone and InternetMCI for anything it can't reach using BBN. There is AT&T GNS formerly known as IBM Global Network Services which was the largest internet backbone worldwide that AT&T bought and then there is AT&T Emerging Network Solutions which was what was known as the National Science Foundation sponsored CERFNet (California Educational and Research Foundation Network) based at the San Diego SuperComputing Center. T-Mobile is the only one who does not have their own internet backbone so they have to use someone else for transit which seems to be Level3 Communications among others.
    Last edited by Almighty1; 10-03-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    I just got my LG X Charge today and activated it. They were pretty insistent during activation that no number could be ported into XM/device after I activated it. However, I was told previously by a rep that although they don't like to do port-ins to an activated device, they still could if you request it.

I activated the device with an XM number, but after doing a few speed tests, I'm wondering if the device hasn't fully provisioned yet. I am in the Bay Area and there is great native Verizon coverage here. I'm getting about 200-400 Kbps running the speedtest on fast.com. In contrast, my Sprint post-paid gets about 30-70 Mbps on fast.com.

Is the phone not done setting up its data profile? No way I would even consider porting to XM and give up my unlimited Sprint line if I couldn't match or exceed my Sprint post-paid speeds.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    The one line I did activate is also being severely throttled and or De-prioritized and XM refuses to communicate as to what the actual issue is. No way I can move myself and my family members over to this service as I had intended, which has thrown a big monkey wrench into my plans.

I think the FCC needs to take a good hard look at Xfinity Mobile's data routing practices.
    Last edited by ls61; 10-05-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks and now months, TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewaytoheaven View Post
    I just got my LG X Charge today and activated it. They were pretty insistent during activation that no number could be ported into XM/device after I activated it. However, I was told previously by a rep that although they don't like to do port-ins to an activated device, they still could if you request it.

I activated the device with an XM number, but after doing a few speed tests, I'm wondering if the device hasn't fully provisioned yet. I am in the Bay Area and there is great native Verizon coverage here. I'm getting about 200-400 Kbps running the speedtest on fast.com. In contrast, my Sprint post-paid gets about 30-70 Mbps on fast.com.

Is the phone not done setting up its data profile? No way I would even consider porting to XM and give up my unlimited Sprint line if I couldn't match or exceed my Sprint post-paid speeds.
    Port-ins after a device is activated is possible as this was a policy change since early September 2017 and the rep is likely misinformed since a lot of the call centers may be outsourced and not actually Comcast employees.

As of September 1, 2017 - You can order the phone with a new number and activate while still being able to port your number from another carrier. To do so you'll need to call XFinity Mobile Team at 888-936-4968 so their mobile team can assist with your number change/porting request. This information was posted by ComcastMax in official capacity in the following thread and also verified by XFinity Mobile on Facebook:
    http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity...r/td-p/2923846

I'm in San Francisco and have never seen slow speeds except for uploading but that is due to the low signal strength.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    The one line I did activate is also being severely throttled and or De-prioritized and XM refuses to communicate as to what the actual issue is. No way I can move myself and my family members over to this service as I had intended, which has thrown a big monkey wrench into my plans.

I think the FCC needs to take a good hard look at Xfinity Mobile's data routing practices.
    Maybe XM doesn't really know since they are in the hands of Verizon Wireless. On Android Central, there are people who are Verizon Wireless customers who are on the new February and later unlimited plans that got far worst treatment than the deprioritization and throttling as they basically not allow their phones to connect to the network at all.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-new-post.html

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No, it is the inability to actually speak with someone that has some actual knowledge. 1st tier is useless and 2nd tier is half-baked, 3rd tier darn near impossible to contact.
    Seems XM only respond to FCC complaints and they are quick to do so, but that is ridiculous route you should not have to take.

I think Karl Seelig and his RingPlus crew were hired on to manage XM operations?

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you email Comcast Corporate, XFinity Mobile Tier 2 Escalations will get back to you within a hour. You can actually e-mail tier 2 directly except in this case, I think it should actually be engineering that needs to be involved as even the best support level will not really get anywhere as even with Verizon, it has to go through the network department.

What does tier 3 actually do anyways? Since even with Verizon Wireless, tier 1 is the trouble shooting and tier 2 usually can already do everything else including sending replacement devices. But still, the network is not theirs. It's no different than MCI reselling Pacific Bell Mobile Services, they only know what they are told since if you look at the specs, they copied exactly what Verizon Wireless has in their written stuff and I have never seen 100ms maximum latency.

Also, check their website to make sure it still shows the other phones you have not activated because on slickdeals, someone said the line with the X Charge they did not activate disappeared and got cancelled so they cannot even activate that device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If you email Comcast Corporate, XFinity Mobile Tier 2 Escalations will get back to you within a hour. You can actually e-mail tier 2 directly except in this case, I think it should actually be engineering that needs to be involved as even the best support level will not really get anywhere as even with Verizon, it has to go through the network department.

What does tier 3 actually do anyways? Since even with Verizon Wireless, tier 1 is the trouble shooting and tier 2 usually can already do everything else including sending replacement devices. But still, the network is not theirs. It's no different than MCI reselling Pacific Bell Mobile Services, they only know what they are told since if you look at the specs, they copied exactly what Verizon Wireless has in their written stuff and I have never seen 100ms maximum latency.

Also, check their website to make sure it still shows the other phones you have not activated because on slickdeals, someone said the line with the X Charge they did not activate disappeared and got cancelled so they cannot even activate that device.
    Guess what, this is not Verizon, it is XM MVNO so it is a false equivalency. Seems all you can do is run interference for XM, why is that?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score

I'm curious, what email address are you using? I've emailed the ecare number, and they do respond, but my experience is more next day -- though perhaps they've improved since I did that.

As for the Tiers, Tier 1 seems to simply be Customer Service -- they seemingly can't help with anything but extremely basic requests, like activating SIM cards (porting is handled elsewhere). Tier 2 seems to be closer to what 1st Tier would be at most other carriers, where they handle the more routine service fixes. Tier 3 appears to be what Tier 2 might be elsewhere. And, at least the last time I called, you can no longer be transferred to Tier 2, instead you have to wait for them to contact you -- and I've had a terrible experience with them calling me back, at least in a timely manner. My last call escalated to Tier 2, I got called at least two weeks later by someone who was curious if I ever got a response on my ticket -- though fortunately they were able to resolve the issue (in this case, setting up a SIM from an X Power to work on an iPhone).

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Guess what, this is not Verizon, it is XM MVNO so it is a false equivalency. Seems all you can do is run interference for XM, why is that?
    That's the whole point, it's a MVNO and the actual connection from your phone is to Verizon Wireless towers and not XM towers, they don't run the network so until you are able to contact someone that actually does engineering which is probably more than any tier support person at XM, you are not going to get anywhere as it will usually require a network trouble ticket that will involve Verizon Wireless and XM contacting each other behind the scenes, there isn't much you can do anyways since everyone that you can talk to even if it's corporate will be clueless about the technical side of things. It's no different than sonic.net reselling AT&T U-Verse instead of their own fusion product as the former is at the hands of AT&T U-Verse for both the circuit and the actual ISP while the later uses AT&T copper but it will actually use sonic.net's network. Even with Verizon Wireless themselves as a customer, you can complain about network issues or signal issues but they still won't care unless a lot of people actually complain about the same problem and we're all using a consumer level product so there is no Quality of Service or a Service Level Agreement. Besides, a MVNO is fine if everything works correctly but when there are problems, you're pretty much on your own since we are only customers of the MVNO while the MVNO is the customer of the company that provides the actual connection from your device to the outside world. Comcast can't even fix problems on their own cable network so expecting them to fix a virtual network that is not theirs is going to require some miracle.

The other thing was even when you were using tracfone with the vzwinternet APN which supposedly meant you were given the same service as a VZW customer, you still had poor latency that was like 250ms so for all we know, it could just be the towers in your area as while I never said the latency was great, atleast I am getting the speeds as promised with a maximum latency of 170ms. It would help that you actually mentioned the signal strength in dBm and not bars.
    Last edited by Almighty1; 10-07-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    I'm curious, what email address are you using? I've emailed the ecare number, and they do respond, but my experience is more next day -- though perhaps they've improved since I did that.

As for the Tiers, Tier 1 seems to simply be Customer Service -- they seemingly can't help with anything but extremely basic requests, like activating SIM cards (porting is handled elsewhere). Tier 2 seems to be closer to what 1st Tier would be at most other carriers, where they handle the more routine service fixes. Tier 3 appears to be what Tier 2 might be elsewhere. And, at least the last time I called, you can no longer be transferred to Tier 2, instead you have to wait for them to contact you -- and I've had a terrible experience with them calling me back, at least in a timely manner. My last call escalated to Tier 2, I got called at least two weeks later by someone who was curious if I ever got a response on my ticket -- though fortunately they were able to resolve the issue (in this case, setting up a SIM from an X Power to work on an iPhone).
    PM me for the e-mail address since just like the person on DSLreports that gave it to me, last thing you want is to expose the e-mail address and then they come after you. Their facebook messenger support seems to actually be good as well but they can't handle some of the things. I actually hate talking to any of them by phone since they will probably brush you off and you can't prove what they said. So basically XM Tier 1 and 2 seems to be like Tier 1 elsewhere. I don't think any of the carriers will let you contact the network department or engineering directly since it's like all they will do is create a ticket for the issue and it's up to them if they contact you or not. I have read XM Tier 3 actually even handles billing problems as it was mentioned on one of the forums when someone had some issue that was related to billing or their order. With Verizon Wireless, you can do it going through the regular number by doing tier 1 first and then they will transfer you to tier 2 after dealing with them for 30 minutes or you can reach tier 2 directly at a direct number without going through tier 1 which is what I usually do since a lot of times, tier 1 will not escalate the issue and what I usually need is a device replacement which only tier 2 can send as tier 1 will sometimes even have you visit their stores and then what happens is the store will call tier 1 and basically go through that long process before getting tier 2 if one is lucky so might as well call tier 2 directly. With XM, there is a different phone number that you can call to reach anyone but you have to know their 7 digit extension.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    PM me for the e-mail address since just like the person on DSLreports that gave it to me, last thing you want is to expose the e-mail address and then they come after you. Their facebook messenger support seems to actually be good as well but they can't handle some of the things. I actually hate talking to any of them by phone since they will probably brush you off and you can't prove what they said. So basically XM Tier 1 and 2 seems to be like Tier 1 elsewhere. I don't think any of the carriers will let you contact the network department or engineering directly since it's like all they will do is create a ticket for the issue and it's up to them if they contact you or not. I have read XM Tier 3 actually even handles billing problems as it was mentioned on one of the forums when someone had some issue that was related to billing or their order. With Verizon Wireless, you can do it going through the regular number by doing tier 1 first and then they will transfer you to tier 2 after dealing with them for 30 minutes or you can reach tier 2 directly at a direct number without going through tier 1 which is what I usually do since a lot of times, tier 1 will not escalate the issue and what I usually need is a device replacement which only tier 2 can send as tier 1 will sometimes even have you visit their stores and then what happens is the store will call tier 1 and basically go through that long process before getting tier 2 if one is lucky so might as well call tier 2 directly. With XM, there is a different phone number that you can call to reach anyone but you have to know their 7 digit extension.
    You've reminded me, and this is a tip for everyone, if you need to call tech support it helps a lot to keep a log of your calls and what was promised to you. Make sure to get the ticket number, with the time and date you called. It is also a good idea to get the name of the support person and the length of time you are on the call. It helps a lot, when you have to call back to have this information -- in fact a few times I've called back to be told they see where I called but the tech left no notes about the call. I want to say it has helped a lot, not in getting my issues resolved, per se, but to show what you've done and to help ensure they follow through on things they've promised.

And I haven't had an issue yet, personally, that has had to be fixed by Verizon. That is what upsets me, simple things like re-provisioning a phone -- you can do that "automatically" on Verizon, just by entering the IMEI of the new phone on the Verizon website, are extremely hard to get done on XM. No one on Tier 1, that I'm aware of, can do it and only a few in Tier 2 know how -- and they do have access to RSSX where the changes need to be made.

Like all support, XM has some there that sincerely want to help and others who are there just to collect a paycheck. My major issue is that those that sincerely have (at least seemed like they) wanted to help appear to be powerless to give that help, typically all they can do is stick it in an "escalation queue" where you likely will wait a week (or longer) for a response. And, of course, there are some that just seem to be their for the paycheck and you aren't even sure it was actually put in the queue properly.

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast