Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Best Paygo Emergency Phone Plan for Verizon network (light use)

Feedback Score

Best Paygo Emergency Phone Plan for Verizon network (light use)

I'm looking for a very light usage plan using a BYOP Verizon branded 4g smartphone. It uses under 50 minutes, no text and 150 MB per month. I'm looking for the lowest cost option for using the Verizon network under these parameters. I need it to auto-renew without having to repeatedly add airtime.

Which Tracfone or Tracfone subsidiary brand or non-Tracfone provider offers the best pricing for this and what would be the per minute and per megabyte pricing with them? And how much would it cost per month to keep the line active?

If I was anticipating a temporary need for an unusually high amount of data for one month, how much would it cost to add data on a one-time basis? Or could I temporarily switch to a higher plan?

Would I be able to place any safeguards on the network provider account (I know about the phone settings) so that the line doesn't unexpectedly blow through an obscene amount of data one month?

And what are the difference between choosing from the various Tracfone owned brands (i.e. Tracfone, Net 10, Total Wireless, Straight Talk, Page Plus, etc.)?

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at the smartphone plan options on TracFone.com? Extra data is $10/GB and there's no way to limit someone's data usage on TracFone - the can blow through the available balance as fast as the phone uses it.

Cost per month depends on which option you buy.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I think Tracfone might be a good fit for that usage.

Feedback Score
    I see only monthly plans listed on Tracfone and Net 10's websites that include a set amount of minutes/megabytes that expire/renew each month.

I think it's likely better to go with a pure pay-as-you-go minutes/data card that can auto-renew when it runs out and doesn't expire every month. I don't see that listed on the site. Where can they be found and how much do they cost?

Feedback Score
    https://www.tracfone.com/serviceplan/smartphone

There's a 1 year plan which is discounted with auto renewal or you can buy multiple 30 day plans at once because they stack.

Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    I see only monthly plans listed on Tracfone and Net 10's websites that include a set amount of minutes/megabytes that expire/renew each month.

I think it's likely better to go with a pure pay-as-you-go minutes/data card that can auto-renew when it runs out and doesn't expire every month. I don't see that listed on the site. Where can they be found and how much do they cost?

Feedback Score
    Isn't there a $99 Tracfone plan for a year? I don't see that there. I also don't see any of the additional days refills that come with no additional minutes/data.

If you stack Tracfone refills and then turn Auto-Refill on, will the auto refill wait till after all your stacked cards run out of days before refilling or will it refill earlier? I'd like to start our purchasing a years worth of service and then turn on a 30 day auto refill that only kicks in once the initial year runs out.

I noticed that stacking multiple 60 day (or 30 day) cards gives you a lot more minutes/megabytes than a single 365 day card, for almost the same price. (i.e. six 60 day cards at $25/each gives you 3,000 minutes and 3,000 MB for $150 versus a 365 day card costing $125 for 1,500 minutes and 1.5 GB.)
    Last edited by josephf; 04-06-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    The basic phone plans work with smartphones and the buckets triple, so the $100 plan = 365 days + 1200 into each smartphone bucket.
    You get more in the buckets with the $125 smartphone plan.

https://www.tracfone.com/shop/plans

Isn't there a $99 Tracfone plan for a year? I don't see that there.

If you stack Tracfone refills and then turn Auto-Refill on, will the auto refill wait till after all your stacked cards run out of days before refilling or will it refill earlier?

Feedback Score
    Auto-Refill will probably refill on a periodic basis independently of any extra refills you buy. You can always turn Auto-Refill off .

Feedback Score
    You might want to read the fine print on some of these prepaid plans as some require that you
    Make a test call at least once a month in order to maintain service.

Feedback Score
    Nonsense - for TracFone it's once every 6 months unless something changed. What fine print are you seeing and where?

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    You might want to read the fine print on some of these prepaid plans as some require that you
    Make a test call at least once a month in order to maintain service.

Feedback Score
    Isn't there a $99 Tracfone plan for a year? I don't see that there. I also don't see any of the additional days refills that come with no additional minutes/data.
    They have revised the web site to promote only monthly service plans. They do not show the old "cards" anymore. The card style products are still in the TF app and online after you create an account and logon.

The 1 year of service time only has only ever appeared once you have bought something else then proceeded to checkout.

If you stack Tracfone refills and then turn Auto-Refill on, will the auto refill wait till after all your stacked cards run out of days before refilling or will it refill earlier? I'd like to start our purchasing a years worth of service and then turn on a 30 day auto refill that only kicks in once the initial year runs out.
    Doesn't work that way. If you enable Auto-Refill, you will be charged every 30 days, regardless of your service units balances.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Get the Samsung Sky from HSN for $80 (on sale for $99.95 and purchase with Visa Checkout for additional $20 off and knock off another $10 if you have an offer for HSN from American Express). Activate that and then transfer to a BYOP Verizon SIM. That will give you 1350 mins, 1350 texts and 1350 MBs and 1 year of service.

Your 1350 mins will last 27 months. Your 1350 MBs will last 9 months. So add 2GB data for $20 and an additional year of service for $50.

You'll have enough data and service to last 22+ months and by then you'll have a good idea how much service you need and which airtime cards would best suit going forward. Just refill before your service end date and all will rollover.

Feedback Score
    Not true. You can still see one year plans without logging in or having a TracFone account. Did you even try the links I posted?

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They have revised the web site to promote only monthly service plans. They do not show the old "cards" anymore. The card style products are still in the TF app and online after you create an account and logon.

The 1 year of service time only has only ever appeared once you have bought something else then proceeded to checkout.

Doesn't work that way. If you enable Auto-Refill, you will be charged every 30 days, regardless of your service units balances.

Feedback Score
    What if you turn Auto Refill on for a 60 day or 365 day product? Wouldn't that then only renew once every 60 or 365 days, respectively?

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score

That's new. They used to show both the smartphone only cards and the pay as you go cards under the smartphone plans, even when you weren't logged in.

You can still see the pay as you go cards under the basic phone plans.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast