Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Current Best Verizon deal is..(my summary after reading forums for a few hours...)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Look in the general prepaid section.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you have a specific post in mind, could you please provide a bit more specifics? I searched around there and did not find anything...

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c-a-l View Post
    OP here. This is such a research project to figure out if you are not familiar with this stuff, and is why people just go with the post paid provider phone. All this stuff about the CDMA, VOLTE, the bands, the unlock or lock, etc. if it will work, etc is just confusing.

The link I posted claims the particular model is a "VERIZON GSM UNLOCKED G900V ANDROID 4G LTE (B)"
    - The G900V makes me think it is the Verizon version
    - The unlocked makes me think it will work on an MVNO such as Boom

Is what you are saying above that if it is not unlocked, I will be able to pay for $75 of service with Verizon (I guess two months of $40/m 2GB prepaid) and then I can get the phone unlocked and could move to Boom?
    Not too much research required. Just get a Verizon phone that was on postpaid, and you can use it on prepaid. This is what I did with my S6 and what I just recently did with an S8. Both work great on prepaid. And with the S8 I am getting over 110Mbps download speeds on Verizon prepaid. Much faster than what I saw with my S6.

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    Not too much research required. Just get a Verizon phone that was on postpaid, and you can use it on prepaid. This is what I did with my S6 and what I just recently did with an S8. Both work great on prepaid. And with the S8 I am getting over 100Mbps download speeds on Verizon prepaid.

But isn't the trick, assuming you don't want unlimited, to do the Walmart plan ?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsilver99 View Post

But isn't the trick, assuming you don't want unlimited, to do the Walmart plan ?
    I didn't want to mess around with it. Because prepaid is a!ready a great deal. Although If I were just signing up for Verizon prepaid I might gone that route. But I also want things simple. And Verizon made it simple for me to switch from postpaid to prepaid without having to jump through any hoops and without spending more than 15 minutes in the store

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    If you have a specific post in mind, could you please provide a bit more specifics? I searched around there and did not find anything...
    If you have questions about Boom Mobile there are a couple of threads in the General Prepaid section that discuss Boom Mobile. I'm sure if you post your questions there, someone will be able to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    OP here. Bought a totally unlocked phone that supposedly works on any carrier, so I've eliminated that variable.
    I see no promos or discounts anywhere on the web for Boom Mobile, other than a deal on their website that allows you to get a free sim when you buy one month of service, but you pay $5 shipping. So a new summary of the deals seems to be:

1. Boom - maybe best deal if you use less than 3gb, especially if you use less than 2gb?
    a. $29.99 for unl talk & text & 2 GB and you can buy more in 1 GB increments for $10/gb and the extra data lasts 90 days
    b. $34.99 for unl talk & text & 2 GB and you get throttled after 2 GB
    c. You get free visual voicemail, but only if LTE works, so maybe you get something free that is not working
    d. You can use your data on your phone as a mobile hotspot
    e. You get a free SIM if you pay a month of service but you pay $4.99 shipping, so SIM is really 4.99

2. Verizon prepaid at Walmart
    a. $40 + tax for Unl talk & Text & 3 GB with carryover + mobile hotspot
    b. To get started you have to buy a $50 kit at Walmart, so you pay $10 for the SIM

3. Verizon prepaid via Verizon
    a. $40 + tax for Unl talk & text & 3 GB with carryover + mobile hotspot
    b. To get started you can buy a $50 kit at the Verizon store, so you pay $10 for the SIM

Questions:
    1. Are the assumptions above correct, and if not, what are the corrections?
    2. Visual voicemail with an LTE phone?
    a. Walmart & Verizon: Does visual voicemail work on prepaid if you have an LTE phone?
    b. Boom: Is Visual Voicemail just not working on Boom, or working for some and not others, or in some areas & not others?
    3. Are the Walmart plan and Verizon Prepaid plans at $40 exactly the same with the same options?

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    OP here. Bought a totally unlocked phone that supposedly works on any carrier, so I've eliminated that variable.
    I see no promos or discounts anywhere on the web for Boom Mobile, other than a deal on their website that allows you to get a free sim when you buy one month of service, but you pay $5 shipping. So a new summary of the deals seems to be:

1. Boom - maybe best deal if you use less than 3gb, especially if you use less than 2gb?
    a. $29.99 for unl talk & text & 2 GB and you can buy more in 1 GB increments for $10/gb and the extra data lasts 90 days
    b. $34.99 for unl talk & text & 2 GB and you get throttled after 2 GB
    c. You get free visual voicemail, but only if LTE works, so maybe you get something free that is not working
    d. You can use your data on your phone as a mobile hotspot
    e. You get a free SIM if you pay a month of service but you pay $4.99 shipping, so SIM is really 4.99

b. To get started you have to buy a $50 kit at Walmart, so you pay $10 for the SIM

b. To get started you can buy a $50 kit at the Verizon store, so you pay $10 for the SIM

Questions:
    a. Walmart & Verizon: Does visual voicemail work on prepaid if you have an LTE phone?
    b. Boom: Is Visual Voicemail just not working on Boom, or working for some and not others, or in some areas & not others?
    3. Are the Walmart plan and Verizon Prepaid plans at $40 exactly the same with the same options?
    In the case of Verizon you can also choose either way to get the $50 kit and take the $50 plan for the first month and then switch to the $40 plan starting on the second month. Considering during the first month will probably be the time that you're investigating more of whether it works or not for you it makes sense to have more data to test with. It's also worth mentioning that if you want speed faster than 5Mbps boom mobile as well as other MVNO's are not going to be your best choice. I know this is not a dealbreaker for everyone but figured I would put it out there just for the sake of being at knowledged.

To the comment you made about buying an unlocked phone and the fact that it should work. Verizon uses bands 2, 4, 5, and 13 for their LTE service. Band 13 is still a must for rural coverage as well as for better service inside buildings. Also if your device does not support Verizon's VoLTE service for calling it will require CDMA to make and receive calls.

To answer a couple of other questions the Walmart plan and the Verizon plan are both the same for the $40 price point. On the topic of visual voicemail I will leave the android side to someone else but at least on iOS it is working perfectly.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=c-a-l;16866006]OP here. Bought a totally unlocked phone that supposedly works on any carrier, so I've eliminated that variable.

Questions:
    3. Are the Walmart plan and Verizon Prepaid plans at $40 exactly the same with the same options?[/

The VZ sim kit cost is $50 as you stated. The cost of the sim is $5, credit is $45. So if you choose the $40 plan, you will have $5 credit in your account for the next month. On the $40 plan, it does not matter where you get the sim, VZ or Walmart, you get 3 GB data. If you choose the $50 plan you get a 2 GB bonus so 7+2 GB for $50 on the Walmart plan. Everything else is the same on the VZ plans other than the 2GB of bonus data on the $50 and $60 plans.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=cctraderx;16866178]

Questions:
    3. Are the Walmart plan and Verizon Prepaid plans at $40 exactly the same with the same options?[/

The VZ sim kit cost is $50 as you stated. The cost of the sim is $5, credit is $45. So if you choose the $40 plan, you will have $5 credit in your account for the next month. On the $40 plan, it does not matter where you get the sim, VZ or Walmart, you get 3 GB data. If you choose the $50 plan you get a 2 GB bonus so 7+2 GB for $50 on the Walmart plan. Everything else is the same on the VZ plans other than the 2GB of bonus data on the $50 and $60 plans.
    I just finished helping a friend who picked up a $50 Sim kit from Walmart. He only wanted the $40 plan and after selecting that plan and getting everything set up it now shows he has a $10 credit in his account. This made me curious so I called the local corporate store and they said that the $50 kit is $50 of credit and no charge for the Sim card so it looks like either way you're just paying for your pre-paid Ballance now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post

I just finished helping a friend who picked up a $50 Sim kit from Walmart. He only wanted the $40 plan and after selecting that plan and getting everything set up it now shows he has a $10 credit in his account. This made me curious so I called the local corporate store and they said that the $50 kit is $50 of credit and no charge for the Sim card so it looks like either way you're just paying for your pre-paid Ballance now.
    Now that I think about it when I picked up my Sim card kit from Walmart back in March there was no deduction from the Ballance to cover any Sim card charge so it looks like it has been gone for a while.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If you are on the $50 7GB plan like I do, there is a promotion going now, the rep enrolled me and will add 2 extra GB now. That mean I will have 9 GB to start next month.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    If you are on the $50 7GB plan like I do, there is a promotion going now, the rep enrolled me and will add 2 extra GB now. That mean I will have 9 GB to start next month.
    What you are talking about is the Walmart 2 GB promotion that has existed since last fall. You are technically supposed to get this option by buying either a phone or a bring your own device kit from Walmart however as others have reported previously customer service has been able to add the bonus onto accounts even if they did not come from Walmart. It's just a matter of getting the right person

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    No, not Walmart, I chatted with Verizon rep and I asked him how many data is allowed to carry over on the new plan. He told me there is a promotion going on Verizon. So he enrolled me to that and told me I would get 2 more GB when my plan is renew next month.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon formerly AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    No, not Walmart, I chatted with Verizon rep and I asked him how many data is allowed to carry over on the new plan. He told me there is a promotion going on Verizon. So he enrolled me to that and told me I would get 2 more GB when my plan is renew next month.
    That is exactly what I referred to in my last post. Even if you do not get the equipment from Walmart the Verizon reps can still add it on. As I previously stated it's just a matter of getting the right person that is willing to do it. I was able to get them to do it for my dad back in April even though he had already been a customer for almost 2 years. It seems like most people are having better luck getting it done through chat rather than calling in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3