Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Phone Forum

Feedback Score

Satellite Phone Forum

It was my idea to start this sub and it was going fine for awhile, but interest seems to have wained lately, so I thought i'd try and reserect it.
    Since starting it i've become a collector of phones from all the carriers except Thuraya, i.e. Iridium, Inmarsat, and Globalstar.
    I've tinkered with them but haven't activated any for service since I haven't had a need to yet.

Anyone else on here doing anything with satellite phones or service?

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000 Pro, Novatel Liberate, SkyRoam, Isatphone Pro, Karma Go
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,Sprint,Piranha,SkyRoam,InMarSat
    Feedback Score
    Have a live InMarSat Pro on prepaid and an Iridium 9500 that I discontinued postpaid service on when their monthly base fees got too pricey and it was more cost effective to switch to InMarSat.

On InMarSat, could finally do the last firmware update on my Lenovo win10 netbook. Prior firmware software wouldn't run on Win10.

Cost on InMarSat has been gradually increasing. Used to be 1 unit burn rate for outgoing voice and went up to 1.3 a while back. Plus minimum monthly prepaid cost have been creeping up for several vendors, but still can rollover unused prepaid airtime.

Feedback Score
    Using satellite service isn't practical for data use, but globalstar discontinued their prepaid service and iridium's prepaid is even more expensive unless you buy large amounts of time.

Feedback Score
    Ordered an Inmarsat phone and waiting for it's arrival. I travel a lot and noticed that no matter what cell phone service you have, there will always be a dead spot so I figured why not get a sat phone. Found a deal and bought it. Now for the SIM cards.... I was looking at Blue Cosmo and noticed quite a few prepaid cards with free incoming text and no activation fee. I also looked at Sat Phone Store and they have an "Annual Emergency Plan" (which would be perfect) $435/year with free incoming text AND phone calls however, they charge a $50 activation fee and $5/month if you want to roll over minutes. There's RoadPost but they are expensive ($1.82/min for the 50 unit card). I'm leaning towards Sat Phone Store despite the activation fee. What preference does everyone else have?

Feedback Score
    I figured buying a year in advance might be a bit over the top so I opted for a 180 day, 100 unit SIM card. Bought it thru Amazon (why are they cheaper than the retailers own website?). Should have everything this weekend. First thing I'm gonna do is call my cell phone to see how much delay there is.

Feedback Score
    I bought a card from bluecosmo, it was $50 for 38 units and they didn't charge me any activation fee.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caqz View Post
    Ordered an Inmarsat phone and waiting for it's arrival. I travel a lot and noticed that no matter what cell phone service you have, there will always be a dead spot so I figured why not get a sat phone. Found a deal and bought it. Now for the SIM cards.... I was looking at Blue Cosmo and noticed quite a few prepaid cards with free incoming text and no activation fee. I also looked at Sat Phone Store and they have an "Annual Emergency Plan" (which would be perfect) $435/year with free incoming text AND phone calls however, they charge a $50 activation fee and $5/month if you want to roll over minutes. There's RoadPost but they are expensive ($1.82/min for the 50 unit card). I'm leaning towards Sat Phone Store despite the activation fee. What preference does everyone else have?
    It should be only 1.13 units a minute to call any POTS or mobile number, only calls to other competing sat carriers would cost more.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 inmarsat isat pro phones and a few iridium 9505/9505a . Decent used condition. What are they worth?

Feedback Score
    On ebay the inmarsat's go for $300-$400, 9505's $300 or so depending on if there's a bidding war as well as how many other ones there are listedand their prices.

Feedback Score
    That would be one expensive tweet
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Not really, SMS is only 0.5 units each.
    The good thing about inmarsat is it has 15 second billing; where they really get you are calls to competing satellite carriers which are 5, 8, or 11 units a minute.

Feedback Score
    I've noticed that. I would've thought that sat to sat would be cheaper but I guess there's a lot more involved in making that connection.
    Just thought it funny there would be a Twitter option on the phone. A lot of diehards must have requested it. The phone doesn't even have a camera so the only thing you can really do is tweet your coordinates. BTW; I read thru some of the reviews on sat phones and it's funny to read the 1 star reviews. Stupid stuff like: It don't have a camera, data speeds are horrible, my Verizon SIM card doesn't work.....

Feedback Score
    I wish their software worked on Mac. I had to dig out the old laptop to update the phone. It came with version 5.3.0 & the latest is 5.17.2
    Took a while but it's up to date. Stood by my living room window and got 2 bars. Not enough to make a call but still impressive it could see anything inside.

edit to say: So much for 24-48 hours to activate. Just checked my email and SIM card is on! Took just over 11 hours
    Last edited by caqz; 06-11-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: phone is alive!!

Feedback Score
    lol, many people don't know that there's differences between cellular and sat service.
    Tweeting your cordoninates may save you, I had a Spot just incase the train I was on stopped or wrecked in the nowhere lands of southern Oregon/Northern California.
    I was suprised to get 4-5 bars on the Amtrack train pointing the antenna at the window, but two is the minimum to make a call.
    Mine was activated the same day by Bluecosmo between 5 and 6 pm, after normal working hours, I was impressed.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    lol, many people don't know that there's differences between cellular and sat service.....
    It doesn't happen very often but I have known people who were totally convinced that their cell phone would work everywhere because of satellites. How they get this idea, I have no clue. Maybe someone lies to them or they just completely misinterpret something they were told.
    Donald Newcomb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast