Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Satellite Phone Forum

Feedback Score
    What I don't get is why it's so expensive to call a sat phone.

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/cost-...m-a-cellphone/

Based on Mint SIM's website, I can call China for a penny a minute. I know there's no land line between us so I'm assuming it's relayed via satellite. Just curious as to the costs involved that justify what those carriers are charging for a voice call but people can text me for free. (Mint allows me to text my sat phone but not call).
    Seems like the cheapest way is for the other person to text you "call me"

Feedback Score
    I don't see anything on that website about calling China, let alone for .01 cent a minute, not from a cell phone and sure as hell not from a sat phone.
    Maybe those prepaid calling cards that advertise 1000 minutes for $10.00 but those are shifty and only apply for calls from POTS service.
    What's the link for Mint? some sat providers let you sms someone's phone free from their website.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by caqz View Post
    ....Based on Mint SIM's website, I can call China for a penny a minute. I know there's no land line between us so I'm assuming it's relayed via satellite. .....
    Not really true. The "landline" is a fiber-optic submarine cable: Extremely fast & high-capacity. Even though expensive to install, once in place it's pretty trouble-free for many years. When they do fail, they can be repaired. Satellites for personal communications are fairly large, complex devices with limited capacity and a fairly short working life. There are high costs involved in getting them into orbit. Also, as terrestrial cellular networks become more widely deployed, there is less demand for satellite calls, so the per-call cost of a satellite call goes up (fixed costs divided by usage).
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I don't see anything on that website about calling China, let alone for .01 cent a minute, not from a cell phone and sure as hell not from a sat phone.
    Maybe those prepaid calling cards that advertise 1000 minutes for $10.00 but those are shifty and only apply for calls from POTS service.
    What's the link for Mint? some sat providers let you sms someone's phone free from their website.
    www.mintsim.com
    Go to international rates and type in China. A penny a minute. And yes you can text an Inmarsat phone for free thru their website.

Feedback Score
    mintsim is for mobile phones, not sat and I doubt you'll get that rate since it would mean a loss in profit as the cost for them is more.
    drnewcomb: what I hate is the short time you have to use the prepaid sat time, and how much more they charge for a sim that expires in 6 months as opposed to 1 month for the same amount of minutes, it's a total scam.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    mintsim is for mobile phones, not sat and I doubt you'll get that rate since it would mean a loss in profit as the cost for them is more.
    I know mint sim is for mobile phones. And I doubt mint sim is posting false rates for international calling. All I was pointing out is that mint sim doesn't allow calls to satellite phones and other carriers (Verizon, Sprint, etc) charge a ridiculous amount to call one.

Feedback Score
    Well read the fine print, that 1 cent is probably much more with the various fees they tend to add, but this isn't a prepaid forum.
    I doubt many prepaid mobile providers allow calls to sat phones considering the high costs and fraud.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2