Thread: How to unlock a new AT&T postpaid phone

Feedback Score

How to unlock a new AT&T postpaid phone

AT&T is offering us a buy one get one free phone. We are adding a new line. Our existing lines don't really need a new phone but we'll upgrade one anyways since it is free. We have this AT&T postpaid account in good standing for many years.

The new line will be getting an iPhone 7 Plus. The free upgrade will be for a Galaxy S8 Plus. Since we don't intend to use it on any existing line on our account, we would like to make​ it available for use outside of AT&T.

The free upgrade, as I understand it, is done via a monthly bill credit. Both new phones are billed a monthly fee for Net 24 or Net 30 but the second phone (the S8 in this case) receives a monthly credit equal to its Net 24/30 charge. Does this monthly credit also make the phone tax free?

Would AT&T provide a domestic SIM unlock for the phone when it is brand new? Is there anything else that can be done to get it unlocked?

Does the phone, even if locked, work on all AT&T MVNOs? Can it easily receive an international SIM unlock if it is never activated on an AT&T postpaid line?
    Last edited by josephf; 04-09-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Be careful of that FREE phone promo.
    I'm still paying for a FREE phones six months after I got it....
    “Let your life mean something. Become an inspiration to others so that they may try to do more and to become more than they are today.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ij9zapem View Post
    Be careful of that FREE phone promo.
    I'm still paying for a FREE phones six months after I got it....
    Can you please elaborate?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by josephf View Post
    AT&T is offering us a buy one get one free phone. We are adding a new line. Our existing lines don't really need a new phone but we'll upgrade one anyways since it is free. We have this AT&T postpaid account in good standing for many years.

The new line will be getting an iPhone 7 Plus. The free upgrade will be for a Galaxy S8 Plus. Since we don't intend to use it on any existing line on our account, we would like to make​ it available for use outside of AT&T.

The free upgrade, as I understand it, is done via a monthly bill credit. Both new phones are billed a monthly fee for Net 24 or Net 30 but the second phone (the S8 in this case) receives a monthly credit equal to its Net 24/30 charge. Does this monthly credit also make the phone tax free?

Would AT&T provide a domestic SIM unlock for the phone when it is brand new? Is there anything else that can be done to get it unlocked?

Does the phone, even if locked, work on all AT&T MVNOs? Can it easily receive an international SIM unlock if it is never activated on an AT&T postpaid line?
    Go here -
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/request/#/unlockstep1
    And slect non AT&T customer.
    AT&T phones don't need unlocking
    If using on gophone, cricket or any other carrier that uses AT&T network.
    It will if going to use on T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Go here -
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/request/#/unlockstep1
    And slect non AT&T customer.
    AT&T phones don't need unlocking
    If using on gophone, cricket or any other carrier that uses AT&T network.
    It will if going to use on T-Mobile.
    Will AT&T grant an unlock request submitted on the website for a brand new phone they just sent out? Does it matter whether it was ever activated on one of their lines?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Will AT&T grant an unlock request submitted on the website for a brand new phone they just sent out? Does it matter whether it was ever activated on one of their lines?
    No. Unless paid full retail price. They'll unlocked after 2 years. But the phone will work on any AT&T network carrier though.

So you'd have to pay for an unlocking service to get it unlocked. S8 won't be to expensive to unlock, but the iPhone will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Where can you find an unofficial unlock service - and what do they typically cost for a phone that just came out, such as the S8? Are they reliable and do not later relock themselves?

Is using an unofficial ​unlock service just as good as getting an official unlock code from AT&T? Are there any downsides to using them?

Would AT&T give an international unlock on a brand new phone that's still not paid off, so that it could be used overseas?

Device(s)
    iphone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    AT&T may blacklist the phone if the OP terminates service without paying the balance since the phone is free after monthly credits not at the time the phone is received from AT&T. I have 2 iphones on my plan that are free after monthly credits with no unexpected charges.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Where can you find an unofficial unlock service - and what do they typically cost for a phone that just came out, such as the S8? Are they reliable and do not later relock themselves?

Is using an unofficial ​unlock service just as good as getting an official unlock code from AT&T? Are there any downsides to using them?

Would AT&T give an international unlock on a brand new phone that's still not paid off, so that it could be used overseas?
    The unlock code you get from AT&T will be the same as it will anywhere else. eBay is usually the best place.

One the phone is unlocked it cannot be relocked. Anywhere between $1-$30 for an android device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Marty View Post
    AT&T may blacklist the phone if the OP terminates service without paying the balance since the phone is free after monthly credits not at the time the phone is received from AT&T. I have 2 iphones on my plan that are free after monthly credits with no unexpected charges.

The account is many years in good standing and there's no reason service would be cancelled early. That said, what does a blacklist do? If the phone was unlocked before being blacklisted will it still work on T-Mobile and overseas carriers?

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    The account is many years in good standing and there's no reason service would be cancelled early. That said, what does a blacklist do? If the phone was unlocked before being blacklisted will it still work on T-Mobile and overseas carriers?
    Blacklist - Not able to use on ATT or the ATT MVNOs. It does not matter how long the account is in good standing.

If you are able to unlock the phone, you will be able to use it on TMobile and oversees provided the phone has the right bands for reception.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    To be clear, once a phone is blacklisted it cannot be used with any domestic cellular carrier whether the phone is locked or unlocked.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    Blacklisting a phone is for all US providers and MVNO's. Multiple threads over the years of people purchasing used phones that were later blacklisted.