Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: List best offer Galaxy S8 plus that work w Cricket

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    Also, what about software updates? If you purchase ATT version are you at ATT's mercy to roll out updates vs buying an unlocked version? Does Samsung send updates similar to Apple and Google or are you always relying on the carrier?
    If you buy AT&T version, you will need active AT&T SIM to get new updates. That's a pretty good reason to choose unlocked version, if it's compatible with AT&T bands.

This is the frustrating thing about Samsung / LG vs Apple. You can safely buy a Verizon iPhone model, and it will contain bands for most all carriers. Samsung / LG still cripple their phones to limit the bands supported.

So if I was going to shell out $800+ for a flagship, I'd want a phone that has all the bands for all carriers, so I'm not locked into a few carriers, and have the phone be worth less than equivalent iPhone.

I no longer see it worthwhile to pay the premium for Apple, so for me, a phone like the Moto G4 / G5 plus are great value, they are far cheaper, and they work with all carriers. If the S8 / S8+ had bands for all carriers that would be a great thing and I may consider buying one, but not with the current limitations of carrier specific phones.

Feedback Score
    Sam's Club has the best deal if you have a membership (and probably even if you don't). $150 Sam's Club gift card in addition to the free Gear VR and controller. No activation fee 4/21-4/23.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/pagede...geName=samsung

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintleaver View Post
    If you buy AT&T version, you will need active AT&T SIM to get new updates. That's a pretty good reason to choose unlocked version, if it's compatible with AT&T bands.

This is the frustrating thing about Samsung / LG vs Apple. You can safely buy a Verizon iPhone model, and it will contain bands for most all carriers. Samsung / LG still cripple their phones to limit the bands supported.

So if I was going to shell out $800+ for a flagship, I'd want a phone that has all the bands for all carriers, so I'm not locked into a few carriers, and have the phone be worth less than equivalent iPhone.

I no longer see it worthwhile to pay the premium for Apple, so for me, a phone like the Moto G4 / G5 plus are great value, they are far cheaper, and they work with all carriers. If the S8 / S8+ had bands for all carriers that would be a great thing and I may consider buying one, but not with the current limitations of carrier specific phones.
    You can update without a sim using Samsung switch desktop app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    You can update without a sim using Samsung switch desktop app.

I was never able to update my AT&T branded Galaxy S4, S5 or Note 4 on KIES.

Are you sure that's changed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    I was never able to update my AT&T branded Galaxy S4, S5 or Note 4 on KIES.

Are you sure that's changed?

I said switch app and not kies.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score

List best offer Galaxy S8 plus that work w Cricket

I said switch app and not kies.

I'm clear on what you said, that's why I asked.

I'll simplify it or rephrase it if it helps:

Are you sure, or do you have first hand knowledge that Switch will update the OS of a Samsung phone without the AT&T SIM card inserted?

Feedback Score
    Funny that we are talking about $800 phones here yet I am looking at 5 HTC phones in boxes that I also just bought from Cricket for a total of $5.35.

And I played around with one of the HTCs are really they don't seem too bad! Certainly very usable, esp for a buck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Funny that we are talking about $800 phones here yet I am looking at 5 HTC phones in boxes that I also just bought from Cricket for a total of $5.35.

And I played around with one of the HTCs are really they don't seem too bad! Certainly very usable, esp for a buck!
    Which HTC is it. Where these cheap phones lack is in the camera department and lag.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm clear on what you said, that's why I asked.

I'll simplify it or rephrase it if it helps:

Are you sure, or do you have first hand knowledge that Switch will update the OS of a Samsung phone without the AT&T SIM card inserted?

My S7 which I sold last week is a Verizon version used in H20. I could not do over the air update since I don't have a Verizon sim. I had to update using Samsung switch on my desktop.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    My S7 which I sold last week is a Verizon version used in H20. I could not do over the air update since I don't have a Verizon sim. I had to update using Samsung switch on my desktop.

Odd, I've never had an issue updating a Verizon device (usually over Wi-Fi) without a SIM card. That's a few Galaxy models and just yesterday a Droid Turbo 2 which obviously isn't a Samsung.

I've never been able to update an AT&T branded Android device without an active AT&T SIM.

I'd be careful giving advice to someone willing to spend 800.00 on a phone without knowing with 100% certainty it will work for them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post

For less than a cup of coffee they're fine. Once you run out of storage, see how 1GB of RAM chokes the phone, you will see that it's probably only worth a buck.

Feedback Score
    Odd, I've never had an issue updating a Verizon device (usually over Wi-Fi) without a SIM card. That's a few Galaxy models and just yesterday a Droid Turbo 2 which obviously isn't a Samsung.

I've never been able to update an AT&T branded Android device without an active AT&T SIM.

I'd be careful giving advice to someone willing to spend 800.00 on a phone without knowing with 100% certainty it will work for them.

Well my s7 would not fetch the OTA update. The only way I was able to update was when the update showed up in smart switch.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Smart Switch never worked for me either, only way to get an update is with an active AT&T SIM !!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    " The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of a low price has faded from memory" > Aldo Gucci

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by parishmc View Post
    Smart Switch never worked for me either, only way to get an update is with an active AT&T SIM !!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Does that include active att mvno sims(h2o, etc)?

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Does that include active att mvno sims(h2o, etc)?

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk
    No, it has to be AT&T or GoPhone.

That's it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast